Which wheel to go with CSW 2.5

Hi all,

I mostly sim for fun but would like to start getting more serious and compete in multiplayer once I’m good enough.

I want to take the plunge and buy a decent wheel base. Currently I’m using a G920 with CS V3 pedals.

I’ve decided on the CSW V2.5.

I can’t decide on a wheel though.

I love the idea of the Porsche 911 wheel but it’s the most expensive and not sure I’d use all those buttons.

The BMW wheel seems good value, but being a weirdo whilst I can cope with a Porsche wheel I’m not sure I want a BMW logo on it. The 918 wheel just feels a bit... meh.

The other option is to go for the universal hub and sort my own wheel - I’ve had Motolita wheels in a couple of my old cars and love those - but equally that would end up being basically as expensive as the 911 wheel.

James

I have a CSW 2.5 and use mainly ACC now. The BMW rim used to be my favourite in AC, but in ACC it just feels heavy and slow turning in. The Formula rim is ace and I'm using that permanently now.

Upvote 0
I recently went through this same decision and I landed on the Formula V2 when ordering my CSW 2.5. Please take my below opinion with a grain of salt as I haven't used it yet as my other half is cruel and is waiting me wait until my birthday..

I was 99% set on the BMW wheel as I am the proud owner of a 335i and I just love BMW's but I think for the style of car that I primarily drive (GT3 + F1) I just think the V2 is just better value. Loads more buttons, weighs less and it just looks freaking awesome. All modern GT3 cars use a formula style wheel now so I think it suits it very nicely, really comes down to what car you're going to spend the most time driving.

That being said I have also ordered the P1 Elite wheel as it is pretty cheap especially with the current F1 2020 offer and still looks fairly decent so will be fine for messing around in BeamNG and some cars in R3E etc.

Upvote 0
It all goes down what simulators you will play and what cars you wanna drive. Rounded wheel is more universal, you can use it for all different stuff.. but it's clearly not perfect for F1, GT etc. But you can drive around with old cars with 900 degrees wheel angles etc what you will lose with Formula style wheels.

CSW 2.5 has a lot of torque and speed, so don't worry about that - I'm using it myself with 315mm Luisi Wheel (mounted with 8mm aluminium adapter to match the MOMO pattern) + Podium paddles + Podium hub - Loving the combo, as I mix a lot of stuff I drive around.. AMS2 (all sorts of cars), F1 2019, Assetto Corsa (drift, GT, mx5), ACC (GT), DR2.0 (rally)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It all goes down what simulators you will play and what cars you wanna drive. Rounded wheel is more universal, you can use it for all different stuff.. but it's clearly not perfect for F1, GT etc. But you can drive around with old cars with 900 degrees wheel angles etc what you will lose with Formula style wheels.

CSW 2.5 has a lot of torque and speed, so don't worry about that - I'm using it myself with 315mm Luisi Wheel (mounted with 8mm aluminium adapter to match the MOMO pattern) + Podium paddles + Podium hub - Loving the combo, as I mix a lot of stuff I drive around.. AMS2 (all sorts of cars), F1 2019, Assetto Corsa (drift, GT, mx5), ACC (GT), DR2.0 (rally)

Any idea on the weight of the whole thing?

The podium hub is 563g but I can't find a weight for the podium paddles.

Wondering if it's lighter than the universal hub.

Upvote 0
The other option would be podium hub, podium paddles and the Porsche rim — which would be lighter and I'd have podium quality rather than CS. Comes in at the same price as the CS version of the Porsche wheel.

Biggest problem with that is you'd have no buttons? Think if you want the Porsche rim then get the podium version in whichever finsh you prefer. If not I think the R300 podium wheel looks nice, just seems quite expensive for what you get? Would probably just pony up the extra €150 for the Porsche one as it has way way better features. Buy once, cry once..?

Upvote 0
Biggest problem with that is you'd have no buttons? Think if you want the Porsche rim then get the podium version in whichever finsh you prefer. If not I think the R300 podium wheel looks nice, just seems quite expensive for what you get? Would probably just pony up the extra €150 for the Porsche one as it has way way better features. Buy once, cry once..?

Yeah — totally agree really. I am just worried about the size and weight of the thing being driven by the CSW2.5 — as some have said that it'll ruin the experience.

Upvote 0
Yeah — totally agree really. I am just worried about the size and weight of the thing being driven by the CSW2.5 — as some have said that it'll ruin the experience.

Really don't think you'll notice. Most people seem to be in the mindset of unless you have 20nm+ DD wheel everything else is underpowered trash... Personally do not buy it at all; until the DD range launched the CSW was the best base that Fanatec offered and considering Fanatec's success I don't think people had a problem with it!

Upvote 0
Really don't think you'll notice. Most people seem to be in the mindset of unless you have 20nm+ DD wheel everything else is underpowered trash... Personally do not buy it at all; until the DD range launched the CSW was the best base that Fanatec offered and considering Fanatec's success I don't think people had a problem with it!
It's down to personal preference. As per my previous post I love the BMW rim in AC over the formula rim. But it just feels heavy and slow to turn-in in ACC to the point where I've had to enable drift mode. I find the formula rim to be a much nicer experience in ACC. I certainly wouldn't get rid of my BMW rim as I definitely have a use for it.

Upvote 0
I have just one wheel the Mclaren GT3 and use it for everything , including rally (WRC 8) , it's the best feeling wheel i have ever used , perfect ergonomics.

I have been using it since it was released and it still looks and feels like new.

Not available new anymore , but a few appear second hand , worth it if you can grab one.

Upvote 0
My mate has the F1 wheel and uses it for GT3 cars on iracing and he has no problem with it but i just prefer my GT3 wheel for everything , it just fits like a glove and is my prefered wheel.

He has tried mine and agrees it's very nice to hold in your hands , perfect dimensions.

Cheers

Upvote 0
F1 wheels are around 27-28, GT3 wheels are 30, GT are 32.

Radical type cars are about 26.

Classic road car based are about 36 to 38.

All approx!

Important to remember that it’s mostly packaging constraints.

Annoyingly I think the GT3 sized wheel is probably perfect.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea