Which wheel to go with CSW 2.5

Hi all,

I mostly sim for fun but would like to start getting more serious and compete in multiplayer once I’m good enough.

I want to take the plunge and buy a decent wheel base. Currently I’m using a G920 with CS V3 pedals.

I’ve decided on the CSW V2.5.

I can’t decide on a wheel though.

I love the idea of the Porsche 911 wheel but it’s the most expensive and not sure I’d use all those buttons.

The BMW wheel seems good value, but being a weirdo whilst I can cope with a Porsche wheel I’m not sure I want a BMW logo on it. The 918 wheel just feels a bit... meh.

The other option is to go for the universal hub and sort my own wheel - I’ve had Motolita wheels in a couple of my old cars and love those - but equally that would end up being basically as expensive as the 911 wheel.

James

I have a Formula Carbon V1
Universal Hub 1 with the GT3 Porsche wheel and button box
1 with a 350mm Momo Race wheel for drifting,
and the BMW GT2 wheel

Best thing to do is buy the universal hub and place what you want there but there not cheap around 350 euros + another 200 for a decent rim.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I mostly sim for fun but would like to start getting more serious and compete in multiplayer once I’m good enough.

I want to take the plunge and buy a decent wheel base. Currently I’m using a G920 with CS V3 pedals.

I’ve decided on the CSW V2.5.

I can’t decide on a wheel though.

I love the idea of the Porsche 911 wheel but it’s the most expensive and not sure I’d use all those buttons.

The BMW wheel seems good value, but being a weirdo whilst I can cope with a Porsche wheel I’m not sure I want a BMW logo on it. The 918 wheel just feels a bit... meh.

The other option is to go for the universal hub and sort my own wheel - I’ve had Motolita wheels in a couple of my old cars and love those - but equally that would end up being basically as expensive as the 911 wheel.

James

Before deciding on a wheel it's important to say what you want to drive.
Formula/Open Wheel/GT3 = Best value wheel is Formula Esports or Formula V2.
Oval / Drifting / Rally = Best to get some kind of closed round wheel like the R300 or Forza ClubSport Universal wheel + Universal Hub.

Upvote 0
Thanks all for your replies!

What do you have against BMW :)? You can also opt for the Formula v1 or v2 wheel, unless you are set on getting more of a GT style wheel.

I drive a Porsche — nothing more to it than that :)

I generally prefer tin tops to Formula cars - though realise that modern GT cars use wheels that are more like Formula cars now.

I have a Formula Carbon V1
Universal Hub 1 with the GT3 Porsche wheel and button box
1 with a 350mm Momo Race wheel for drifting,
and the BMW GT2 wheel

Best thing to do is buy the universal hub and place what you want there but there not cheap around 350 euros + another 200 for a decent rim.

That's why I was thinking by the time I get a universal hub plus rim I might as well go for that glorious but expensive Porsche wheel.

How about the universal hub and a D shaped wheel like the forza Motorsport version which is leather. I'm not sure if there's a leather wheel without the stupid writing?

I could get a "real" wheel to avoid the writing - but yeah - the writing puts me off.

Formula style wheel is a must due to its weight, you will get a lot more ffb detail out of it.

That's a good point — but presume it's not going to be dire with a bigger wheel. I tend not to have my FFB on full anyway.

You wouldn't be the first one to tape over the logo with one of their choosing :cool:

:D

Before deciding on a wheel it's important to say what you want to drive.
Formula/Open Wheel/GT3 = Best value wheel is Formula Esports or Formula V2.
Oval / Drifting / Rally = Best to get some kind of closed round wheel like the R300 or Forza ClubSport Universal wheel + Universal Hub.

Mostly GT cars — tend not to be that interested in Formula cars.

The Formula V2 wheel is a good shout as I'm mostly playing ACC. Looks really good value with all the controls. I am slightly put off by it as I prefer more of a standard wheel - but it might be a good choice once I get used to it.

Upvote 0
Thanks all for your replies!

I generally prefer tin tops to Formula cars - though realise that modern GT cars use wheels that are more like Formula cars now.

That's why I was thinking by the time I get a universal hub plus rim I might as well go for that glorious but expensive Porsche wheel.

I could get a "real" wheel to avoid the writing - but yeah - the writing puts me off.

That's a good point — but presume it's not going to be dire with a bigger wheel. I tend not to have my FFB on full anyway.

:D

Mostly GT cars — tend not to be that interested in Formula cars.

The Formula V2 wheel is a good shout as I'm mostly playing ACC. Looks really good value with all the controls. I am slightly put off by it as I prefer more of a standard wheel - but it might be a good choice once I get used to it.
Yeah don’t buy this Expensive Porsche wheel unless you own a DD Podium base
I just sold a CSL last month and my 2.5 last week Fanatec never added any firmware for the wheel so currently just a brick 0 functionality at all I owned mine now maybe 3 months never pressed a button on it, luckily I bought a DD2 should be here soon hopefully so will work with that.

Upvote 0
Yeah don’t buy this Expensive Porsche wheel unless you own a DD Podium base
I just sold a CSL last month and my 2.5 last week Fanatec never added any firmware for the wheel so currently just a brick 0 functionality at all I owned mine now maybe 3 months never pressed a button on it, luckily I bought a DD2 should be here soon hopefully so will work with that.
Anyone can contact Marcel Pfister to get a working FW which will make Podium Button Module Endurance compatible with CSW V2.5 since a May 14. :)

Upvote 0
Anyone can contact Marcel Pfister to get a working FW which will make Podium Button Module Endurance compatible with CSW V2.5 since a May 14. :)
Yeah it’s all nonsense I cut out the middle man and bought a DD2 tired of waiting :D

Upvote 0

I hear you on the Porsche thing. I drive mostly GT cars as well in iRacing and drive most of the Porsche cars. I also disliked having the BMW logo on the wheel while driving Porsche cars, which is one reason why I purchased the Formula V2 wheel. The other reason is that the Formula V2 wheel is lighter (as mentioned by someone earlier), and also looks similar to the actual wheels in most of the Porsche GT cars (911 RSR, GT4 Clubsport).

Upvote 0
The weight of the wheel (Or the angular momentum) mainly affect the road surface textures effect, you will feel every bump on the road with formula wheel but hardly anything on the BMW wheel.

Upvote 0
It's not very universal wheel I would say.. but good for what it's made for.. if you want to get something more universal.. get a D or Round shape (but not too big and not with a deep dish, so you can use paddle shifters as well)

Hmmm but people are saying they dull the feedback.

One thing I’m not too keen on with the Formula V2 is that it’s (quite rightly) quite a small diameter... I’d really prefer something wider than my G920’s wheel.

If I’m honest I’m not a huge fan of massive feedback - even on my lowly G920 I don’t put it on the highest setting as I find it a bit invasive. I went that way after watching a video about force feedback and the advice was to crank it down as it only needs to be just enough to communicate the tyre slip and track.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's not very universal wheel I would say.. but good for what it's made for.. if you want to get something more universal.. get a D or Round shape (but not too big and not with a deep dish, so you can use paddle shifters as well)

I disagree with this statement.
Even a D shape isn't that universal since it won't do as well for open wheel high downforce cars unless it's 300mm or smaller.
To be fair, there isn't really a universal wheel that works well for both oval/drift and GT.
The closest would be a 280mm or 290mm wheel like the Polsimer F74N or the Ascher Racing F28-SC. But those are quite a bit more expensive for a Fanatec base and will require the Podium Hub.
IMO, Formula V2 is good for the cars OP drives/wants to drive. He hasn't expressed interest in Rally or Oval or Drifting, so V2 is good. Works well for GT/GT3/GTE.

Upvote 0
Yeah - no real interest in rally or oval.

I am a little worried though that people are telling me the CSW2.5 isn't great for heavier wheels.

F V2 = 1,245
Porsche = 2,193
Clubsport (uni) = 2,000

I realise that diameter also comes into this — but we aren't talking twice the leverage here... less than 20% (which I admit combined with weight but be something)

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea