Which Fanatec DD are you buying and why?

I couldn’t see this type of post anywhere and as I’m undecided on a DD1 or the PS4 version for extra compatibility right now thought I’d put this up, forgive me if it’s already been done.

I just received this marketing email from Fanatec. DD1 prices are going up as they have decided to stick with the higher spec motor:

As you might know, all pre-order units of the Podium Wheel Base DD1 and the Podium Racing Wheel F1 have made use of the motor from the Podium Wheel Base DD2. We originally developed a dedicated DD1 motor but this did not meet our requirements. We therefore decided to use the big DD2 motor on the smaller models as well.

As this motor performs extremely well and new development of a dedicated DD1 motor would take quite some time, we decided to keep the DD2 motor for the lower spec models in the long run.

Functionality and specs remain the same but due to the much higher cost of the DD2 motor we are forced to increase the price of the Podium Wheel Base DD1 and the Podium Racing Wheel F1.

There’s still time to place pre-orders for these direct drive systems at their current prices, but effective from May 7th (09:00 UTC+2), the Podium Wheel Base DD1 will be priced at 1199,95 EUR, and the Podium Racing Wheel F1 will be 1599,95 EUR. The Podium Wheel Base DD2 price will remain at 1499,95 EUR.

Effective from the same date, the standard warranty for the Podium Wheel Base DD1 and Podium Racing Wheel F1 will increase from 2 years to 3 years for all new orders.

Of course there is a chance that we could change to a different DD1 motor in the future, but we would clearly communicate that in advance, and it will not be any time soon.

The entire first batch of Podium Series direct drive systems has now been shipped, and we’ve already been overwhelmed by the positive feedback from our early customers. We believe that the Podium Wheel Base DD1 and Podium Racing Wheel F1’s adjusted prices will continue to offer good value in terms of performance and features. Our recent Podium video series explains the advantages of our direct drive technology, and the quality of the ‘DD2’ motor is highlighted in our latest Motor Dynamics video on our YouTube channel.

Bear in mind that the combination of Podium Wheel Base DD1 PS4, ClubSport Steering Wheel F1 (V2 spec), and Podium Advanced Paddle Module in the Podium Racing Wheel F1 package still offers a significant price advantage over buying the same spec of products separately (DD1 + ClubSport F1 2019 wheel + APM = 1729,85 EUR).

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

The entire first batch of Podium Series direct drive systems has now been shipped, and we’ve already been overwhelmed by the positive feedback from our early customers.

This is definitely not what I've read on virtualracing board.

Upvote 0
I just received this marketing email from Fanatec. DD1 prices are going up as they have decided to stick with the higher spec motor:

In hindsight, I think I got a steal with my DD1 preorder for ~$1,020 shipped. I got the higher spec motor. On top of that I also have a $350 Fanatec loyalty reward as their apology for the delayed release that I can spend on anything they sell. The code expires in December 2019 and I've yet to decide. I am waiting to see if they release a podium circular rim this year with better button layout and paddle shifter position than their BMW GT2 rim.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Besides that, there are real issues reported.
- PSU catching fire
- noisy fans in wheel base and PSU
- buzzing noise, coil whine on PSU (the stuff Mika commented before)
- malfunctioning LED on wheel base
- QR (more like SR) issues
- Wheel hub not recognized by base
- Software still not available
Not a pleasant read for sure, I certainly wouldn't call it "overwhelming positive feedback".

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Fortunately, you don't know what you're missing by not having DD. :p:D

I have an idea, but you're right I don't know anything first hand. I'll wallow in my blissful ignorance for the time being ;)

Other than my misgivings, I sort of feel like I need to put enough hours on my rig to even justify taking my rig to a higher level than it is already. I'm really happy with it the way it is and while I'm sure there is more detail to be had. It's not like I miss it right now, so maybe I should wait until I feel a need for it to feel better than it does already.

Upvote 0
With speakers like that who needs DD. :)

My FFB system :)
FFB_4107.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

You're right it doesn't.

Let's remember, those who have problems will make noise. Those who have no issues will happily keep playing... it's the nature of the beast. Same with new releases of phones and consoles....

My point is, it's hard to genuinely determine how big of a problem this is. With any electrical devices there will be faulty devices, possibly caused in transit etc.

Hope those who are having issues get their issues resolved in a timely manner.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Problems are the problems, with limited number of users received their units, I'd say the scale is quite a bit of a concern, more so considering less than stellar Fanatec reliability track record in general.

Upvote 0
Problems are the problems, with limited number of users received their units, I'd say the scale is quite a bit of a concern, more so considering less than stellar Fanatec reliability track record in general.

Yes well, that's what you say but its hardly surprising is it?
It's unfortunate for anyone and I bet a real downer to of waited for one of these and it arrives faulty.

Tell us how you can define what the "limited number shipped" is and then help us to determine what percentage of units shipped are faulty in this or other ways. Mmmmmmmm well clearly, you cannot.

Keep stirring :)

Full in-depth reviews and feedback from owners, might be worth waiting on, ehh?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Keep drinking The
kool-aid-man.jpg

Head to virtualracing and read for yourself. And it was received, not shipped.

Upvote 0

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 98 91.6%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 16 15.0%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 13 12.1%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 30 28.0%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 38 35.5%