Which Fanatec DD are you buying and why?

I couldn’t see this type of post anywhere and as I’m undecided on a DD1 or the PS4 version for extra compatibility right now thought I’d put this up, forgive me if it’s already been done.

• Deleted member 197115

Tell me you are just joking about telemetry driven rumble motors in the steering wheel.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

And something funny.
Remember how Fanatec always require video for any support requests.
Imagine how it would look like for the poor guy whose PSU went up in flames.
giphy.gif

Upvote 0
What is so hard about designing and building a motor from scratch to a spec?

I know people who cast, machined and wound motors to spec by themselves.

The magnets can be ordered to size and spec. They have heat ratings to make sure they don't loose their effectiveness.

The bearings can be ordered to spec.

I know a number of people who have rewound their motors with a larger gauge wire and with a different winding pattern.

Frankly given the volume Fanatec will be producing and this specialized application, the market was ripe for a custom fresh design.

I think you are getting pretty defensive of OSW to think designing a motor can't be done just because they use off the shelf motors. The answer is that OSW simply doesn't do enough volume to justify doing it.

You created a separate thread to talk about the new SimCube system. If they are so great why do you feel the need to behave so childishly in this thread?

Grow up!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

You should stop calling everything non Fanatec OSW. There was only one Argon based design from Bernhard Berger that was OSW (Open Sim Wheel), that's it, nothing else qualifies.
Designing motor from the scratch for end consumer production use that needs to pass rigorous testing, stringent certifications, and building manufacturing line for it, is different than something you can use in your RC DIY project (or in rumble motors you and MrLatte are planning to put inside steering wheel).
And no reason really, except if you want huge headache for yourself.
Fanatec did not design outrunner as some assumed based on the video.
And please, next time check if you actually have Moderator badge next to your avatar before telling people where and what they supposed to post. Thanks, bub. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
When did Fanatec suggest that they invented the outrunner motor design? If you looked earlier, I showed pictures of one of many outrunner motors I own.

Why do you consider this such a difficult undertaking?

Let me put this another way. Have you ever seen how chip design is done?

In chip design you put spec'd building blocks together. You tweak the design, run simulations at different speeds and with different test data to verify with a 99.99% chance that you can go to silicone. When a new nm process comes out you get a new libraries the dies shrink and you adjust after your simulations.

I trust you are with me so far. There are similar tools for designing motors. You optimize for size power, and your needs. Luckily a motor is much much much easier to prototype and test than a chip. In addition it doesn't have much of the complexity of an asic.

The point I'm getting at is that designing a motor isn't as heavy a lift as you think it is. Getting certifications does cost for testing. Most of the time people who pay for testing already know they will pass. They've done the electomagnetic simulations.

The big issue is whether you have the volume to make mass production and paying for the testing and the time penalty that goes with it feasible.

Keep in mind that you only need to cast and/or machine 2 key parts in a motor. That's it! The magnets glue in place, the winding wire is wound in a certain pattern, the bearings are pressed in. The rest is electronics and a pretty enclosure. Tooling up for mass production does require enough volume to justify it, but the entry costs continue to drop.

I'm surprised you are focusing on the idea that they have put a motor in production.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If SimX wheel is so good, go buy one, if one of the other DD wheels is your preference, go buy one....

Cant speak of others but man, am I so fed up with people speculating and making stupid presumptions or WOT. :)

All that is needed is a bit more patience, soon enough and over the coming weeks we will know how well it is regarded as performing, how reliable it is and no doubt what issues or drawbacks it has.

Upvote 0
Tell me you are just joking about telemetry driven rumble motors in the steering wheel.

I don't know what they may be limited to using them with/for.
However its something, some people may like. Be it used for braking/RPM input or something else.

What I do know is, its an added feature, also it's one that can be turned off if not needed or wanted.

Upvote 0
The answer seems simple to me. They sold out the first production run and should be shipping in mass soon.

We should either start hearing from happy campers or distraught people with buyer's remorse.

Why don't we wait to see what happens?

So far I like what I've seen from Fanatec, but I'm also not rushing this purchase. I'm going to wait for reviews and user testimony both raves and gripes. I do expect to see both. I expect there to be some people who will crow like it is the most amazing thing in the world and others who will go on a tirade about something. The the fun part is filtering through the feedback to see which are outliers, which combine to form a consensus, and which are just highly emotional people who trend at both extremes.

Until then I'd like to just digest the information we get and learn about their system.

In the end all will become clear.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is still off the shelf motor, maybe with some altered spec, they did not create outrunner design.
It would have been more informative without all these cheesy "unlike others", what are you SMS?
Who are these "others" anyway, there are no consumer grade DD manufacturers except SimXperience.
Or did they compare to OSW, DIY SC1 kit, or soon to be available SC2, may be Leo Bodnar SimSteering?
All of them as they probably got their hands on all to evaluate against their product, hard to tell really?
Tell us what is good about your product, not what you "think" is not with competitor's, esp. with absolutely no track record or experience in the field you are entering.
In US we have a law against this type of Comparative Advertisement
Sadly, such law apparently does not apply to politics! :D

Upvote 0
Once I’ve seen good reliability (although I’d get the DD2 with the 5 year warranty anyway), whatever proper QR comes in the future, actual Podium wheel rims because I love the feel of high quality knitter switches not the cheap game controller type ones, if their software is good like Sim Commander and supports all the current PC sims then I’ll certainly be considering replacing my AFV2 for more power!

Right now it’s not quite the full package I’m looking for and I don’t really want to be upgrading piecemeal and paying more money in the long run like it’s DLC. I just want one purchase with everything Podium level from the start and an extra F1/LMP Podium rim.

It would probably cost £2.2k to switch out my AFV2 and LMP rim but that’s still cheaper than the top end Sim Steering 2 Bodnar and that’s before the fact I’d need to replace the round rim!

Upvote 0
I think I've decided that getting a direct drive wheel isn't worth the risk of injury. I know plenty of you are using these motors without any issues, but this is just a toy for amusement and while I like to go down a rabbit hole pretty far, one of the things I like about sim racing is that the possibility of injury is nil. I don't want myself or anyone else on my rig getting injured. Call me a wuss or whatever, but I think I'm cutting the cord on this idea.

Upvote 0
I think I've decided that getting a direct drive wheel isn't worth the risk of injury. I know plenty of you are using these motors without any issues, but this is just a toy for amusement and while I like to go down a rabbit hole pretty far, one of the things I like about sim racing is that the possibility of injury is nil. I don't want myself or anyone else on my rig getting injured. Call me a wuss or whatever, but I think I'm cutting the cord on this idea.
Is it fairly common, a DD injury? It's honestly not something I ever gave a second thought to. I guess I just assumed the worst injury might be a sprained thumb or finger.

Upvote 0
Is it fairly common, a DD injury? It's honestly not something I ever gave a second thought to. I guess I just assumed the worst injury might be a sprained thumb or finger.

How common it is I’ve no idea but the 25nm peak of the DD2 I’ve heard is enough to potential break a finger or thumb, not sure how accurate that is though.

But that’s certainly not going to stop me, besides you have the torque key with the Fanatec system that brings the NM power down to CSW level when it’s not plugged in but still having a lot of the benefits of a DD wheel base.

Upvote 0
How common it is I’ve no idea but the 25nm peak of the DD2 I’ve heard is enough to potential break a finger or thumb, not sure how accurate that is though.

But that’s certainly not going to stop me, besides you have the torque key with the Fanatec system that brings the NM power down to CSW level when it’s not plugged in but still having a lot of the benefits of a DD wheel base.
I assume that’s a key rather than software like on the Accuforce so you can use it on consoles? I wonder why they didn’t just have as a switch on unit itself or in the settings. Seems a bit odd to have an extra thing to plug in that you could potentially lose!

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea