What's up with the lack of mods / complete rubbish?

I see some people like Patrick release amazing tracks and some others have released excellent skins.

But apart from that nothing....just the usual old recycled crap with no new features.

What's the feeling out there? Is AMS going to be dead in the water or are great things planned?

I agree and forgot to mention as you said AMS lifespan is inherently short. But even so you will likely have the same situation with the next iteration of AMS if it is still built on the rfactor platform.

I personally have nothing against converters who do things right such as you. AC was plagued with the same bad conversions but the tides have started to change as of late. People like Tiago Lima have even gone back to older conversions and really did a good job updating them visually and updating the physical mesh so they drive right. The issue, as you know, this takes time and skill to do it right and you are still stuck with whatever layout it is whether it is accurate or not.

I have downloaded every track you have done for AMS thus far and you really do know what you are doing bringing them up to snuff visually and be fully functional. I have even considered asking if you wanted to convert my Bridgehampton to AMS. But I'm sure that is a decent amount of work due to it being built for a totally different format.

But anyway as I said it is a war you won't win against bad conversions. the best you can do is hope more people like Patrick who either have the time and knowledge to convert a track properly or build one from scratch.
I agree.

If I could not add most of standards to the tracks I work, I think I would prefer not releasing anything at all. It will sound a bit strange, but I am not especially for modding, when it can push down the game. And unfortunately, 98% of modding, since the modding exists, is not really good :(. I dont criticize modders. They do what they can (like me), but if professional studios exists, it is because they have professional softwares/knowledges/processes.
But modding is also something you can decide to use or not. If you dont like a track, you can delete it from your hdd.

That said, I would be pleased to see someone like you come to say "hey, I have finished my track, can you add some standards to have a complete package for AMS"? :)

But if it means redo all shaders, yeah, it will consume time quickly. I dont know this Bridgehampton, but a track is a track, and getting the best laptime on a nice track is always a pleasure, no need to be a famous one.

I agree.

If I could not add most of standards to the tracks I work, I think I would prefer not releasing anything at all. It will sound a bit strange, but I am not especially for modding, when it can push down the game. And unfortunately, 98% of modding, since the modding exists, is not really good :(. I dont criticize modders. They do what they can (like me), but if professional studios exists, it is because they have professional softwares/knowledges/processes.
But modding is also something you can decide to use or not. If you dont like a track, you can delete it from your hdd.

That said, I would be pleased to see someone like you come to say "hey, I have finished my track, can you add some standards to have a complete package for AMS"? :)

But if it means redo all shaders, yeah, it will consume time quickly. I dont know this Bridgehampton, but a track is a track, and getting the best laptime on a nice track is always a pleasure, no need to be a famous one.
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/bridgehampton-race-circuit.6604/

What's the feeling out there? Is AMS going to be dead in the water or are great things planned?

Feeling here couldn't be better, brother. I personally did not buy AMS for the mods. Actually, I didn't buy AMS at all ; it was free haha.

I hear ya though, dude, but I just can't relate because the awesome, already abundant and unique content already in AMS is way more than plenty for my purposes. And more is coming.

People have different purposes, that's for sure. Some crave a full season and grid for a particular series for one reason or another. Some simply crave "more" because they are bored for one reason or another.

The only thing I care about is how content drives in the sim ; especially combined with the right car or track. I have no idea whether I'll like something until I drive it, especially on and around the limit which is where the magic happens.

Things haven't always been that way for me, though. Before I decided to develop my skills, knowledge and experience, I used to get caught up in the collection side of things. I hindsight, I call it combo binge-ing although I didn't know I was doing it at the time.

That's not to say that, aside from simple indoctrination to a given IRL series, there aren't other valid reasons people get bored with content or crave more.

Outpacing the AI is one affliction that plagues many a sim racer. I try to avoid this by rotating tracks and cars as much as possible.

For boredom, I've noticed so many people who drive 6 different combos in a day for 10 minutes each when they could instead drive one combo for a single, epic, one hour endurance race. No wonder they're bored.

Anyway whatever :rolleyes::whistling:

I tell my as 3DS Max use at the elementary level and not as a profession.
Without knowing the various shader that uses AMS is very difficult that people create out of thin tracks and cars would remain because the work in half.
I lost several days before finding how to use shaders for gumming / grass / gravel and I was testing on a track of AC and I must say it came pretty well (as you can see from the pictures), but otherwise the type trees etc etc I have some doubts.
But first you need to insert the track to create the rFactor AIW files from nothing because any is needed.
Another thing is: once you have finished you can release it?
Why it is much quicker to make a transition from GSCex to AMS

Feeling here couldn't be better, brother. I personally did not buy AMS for the mods. Actually, I didn't buy AMS at all ; it was free haha.

I hear ya though, dude, but I just can't relate because the awesome, already abundant and unique content already in AMS is way more than plenty for my purposes. And more is coming.

People have different purposes, that's for sure. Some crave a full season and grid for a particular series for one reason or another. Some simply crave "more" because they are bored for one reason or another.

The only thing I care about is how content drives in the sim ; especially combined with the right car or track. I have no idea whether I'll like something until I drive it, especially on and around the limit which is where the magic happens.

Things haven't always been that way for me, though. Before I decided to develop my skills, knowledge and experience, I used to get caught up in the collection side of things. I hindsight, I call it combo binge-ing although I didn't know I was doing it at the time.

That's not to say that, aside from simple indoctrination to a given IRL series, there aren't other valid reasons people get bored with content or crave more.

Outpacing the AI is one affliction that plagues many a sim racer. I try to avoid this by rotating tracks and cars as much as possible.

For boredom, I've noticed so many people who drive 6 different combos in a day for 10 minutes each when they could instead drive one combo for a single, epic, one hour endurance race. No wonder they're bored.

Anyway whatever :rolleyes::whistling:

Exactly what I tried to say before. I could spend the whole year racing only with the original content of AMS. If I get bored, there's still R3E, AC, RF2. ;) I don't understand why trying to make them all the same. But that's just my opinion, of course...:thumbsup:

How long will AMS be here? I doubt Reiza will release their next sim before at least December 2017
Better part of 2 years at an average time of 8-10 months minimum to make a new track? That means 2-3 tracks over the game's lifetime versus theoretically the better part of 20 of the best tracks ever done across all of rFactor's history?

Seems like a perfectly suitable cost benefit analysis, especially when a chunk of that time will be eaten up simply reconverting his old conversions for SCE.

• Deleted member 130869

^ that's why sims that want to be a base for mods should have a heavy focus on at least licensing tracks, building them seem to be way too difficult for the community (I'm not a modder so just guessing here)

People are being able to access data with good accuracy on layouts and elevation, but it is still one person to build the terrain, build the 3D models, paint everything, adjust all the visual and physical parameters, etc. Most devs have two people working per track and it still takes them a few months to pump out.

I love AMS, but the OP ended up being pretty much right. In the 10 months since this thread was started, there have been very few new mods (or even converted mods) for AMS. The few that do exist often look like rFactor (super low res textures on cars is the main giveaway), although (if the RealFeel settings are re-done) some of them drive really well.

It's odd, because GSCE seems to have enjoyed a pretty vibrant modding community.

I wonder if perhaps AMS is more difficult for modders, or perhaps it is people like myself that are very happy with the default cars, and prefer the presumably more accurate physics modelling on the default cars. While I added in some cars to GSCE, for AMS I haven't added any cars. I have added tracks, but I typically only add a track to do an online race here at RD. As even the default track selection is fairly large. Of course I do have a number of tracks done by Patrick.

AMS is absolutely more difficult as it was created with the intention of not being able to even be modded - ISI blocked that with Reiza. Many things are hidden in the AMS.exe code or not available at all. For example the hdv/tbc car physics files or the scn/tdf track files. So we are mostly relying on those who knew how to mod RF1/SCE and can bring that knowledge to AMS that it can even be possible. Then learning the new AMS features without any sort of guide or assistance from the devs is another challenge.

One could say we are very fortunate to have any AMS mods at all. :cool:

Last edited:
To say AMS Is harder to mod because of original content is hidden makes no sense... there are mods like CART Extreme that you can get the new features Reiza added, other than that everything is the same as rFactor or GTR2.

Yeah I understand that completely Will and I am a modder who has benefited from that content being available as well. Any modder could essentially take apart Patrick's cars and tracks and figure things out. :thumbsup:
I was only trying to say that RF1 was supposed to be a moddable platform but AMS was not made that way and the devs had to attempt to make the game unmoddable, thus making it more difficult for us. So by comparison AMS is more difficult to mod vs RF1.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back