What TV to buy after VR failure due to motion sickness

Hi... Thanks for the help. I am still new to sim racing, because I never got into my VR setup. It would just make me sick Everytime I tried. So I bought a nice computer with rtx 2080 8gb, I have a nice thrustmaster wheel and pedal. Will repurpose my rift s elsewhere.

I hooked up some old Samsung 32" huge bezel on it, it's funny. So much better. Getting 200 fps on it. When I tried my kids laptop to the same tv, was like 30 fps,nits a cheap $300 laptop.

So my question is what resolution tv should I buy? 4k, 1080? I am set on a single screen and 40 or 43". It will be wall mounted in front of my playseat. Actually have two chairs, the playseat f1 and the playseat evolution red bull. So I will have two tvs side by side. My son is 7 and the red bull seat is his.

Thank you...

Thank you for your reply, very informative!

At the end I think that the most important thing is to recreate the feeling that you are sitting in a real car and try to keep the prospective perception as close as possible to reality.

I am using OpenTrack with Trackhat solution (headset version), but to me it works quite well only with AC, while it always get me angry with iRacing, cannot understand why.

BTW, I am still back and forth thinking if it could make sense to give another chance to VR, maybe with a decent headset.
Lastly I have been spending hours try to find the perfect display to be used in my rig, but I cannot find the perfect solution. Maybe I am too overthinking about it!
Today I found that this beast should be released in next months and now I am so confused! :confused: It will cost two kidneys, but it seems to have all the features that I desire and I do love the 1000R curvature!
LOL I like it, that your S.O. is going in with you on this (after all it is only two kidneys) ;)

Upvote 0
Just a question, how long have you tried getting into VR?
I got really motion sick when I first got into VR, but returned every day, and was able to do a bit longer every day. After 1 or 2 weeks I no longer had any issues with VR.
Hi... Well I only tried the VR sporadically over the course of months. It was making me nautious everytime. I was new to iracing so layering that in with the VR made it all more challenging. Once I am driving like a champ in iracing. I might give the VR another go. I'm not going to sell it. It's still cool and I got kids and stuff

Upvote 0
I would get a 49" Ultrawide monitor , i have one and actually prefer it to VR (HP Reverb).

I sold the VR headset as i wasn't a fan of it on my face , horrible to use when it's hot and the graphics are still pretty average , small sweet spot.

I love the 49" and think it's also better than 3 x 27" screens.

I only play driving sims and some don't support VR anyway (WRC 8 , awesome game) so you won't be limited by that.

49" monitor was the best thing i purchased for sim racing.
Thanks. I am going to look into the 49" monitor. I'm sure it's $$$. I've already spent a lot of money... Lol

Upvote 0
Unless I step up to a 49", I think a 40" would be a good choice. I now agree I should not mount it to the wall, but rather closer to the steering wheel. So much to this, but how far in front of steering wheel is recommended. 6"?

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

As close as you feel comfortable, I had to move mine a bit back as couldn't really focus properly on image that close and that was making me dizzy.
Right now the center of the steering wheel is 7" from the monitor, top is closer as it's slanted.
But it's all personal, if you can get it closer, go for it, the further away from the monitor the lesser FOV you get.

Upvote 0
I never knew about this! I have some friends who find the VR experience uncomfortable, so I'll give this a go. Thanks!

I found this a couple weeks ago and while I don't suffer from motion sickness with VR locking the camera to the horizon improved the immersion 2 fold, to the point on Fonteny during some of the drops and climbs of the track (esp sudden ones) I 'feel' the compression or falling sensation. It's a fantastic option.

Upvote 0
I found this a couple weeks ago and while I don't suffer from motion sickness with VR locking the camera to the horizon improved the immersion 2 fold, to the point on Fonteny during some of the drops and climbs of the track (esp sudden ones) I 'feel' the compression or falling sensation. It's a fantastic option.

This is useful information for those with mild motion sickness. However, for most people with serious motion sickness issues, the problem is usually caused by the difficulty the brain has trying to resolve the conflicting information between the inner ear and the eyes. The only potential “solution” in these cases would be to use a (very expensive) motion platform.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 101 71.6%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 26 18.4%
  • Standard game content

Votes: 28 19.9%
  • No 3pa registration pages