What TV to buy after VR failure due to motion sickness

Hi... Thanks for the help. I am still new to sim racing, because I never got into my VR setup. It would just make me sick Everytime I tried. So I bought a nice computer with rtx 2080 8gb, I have a nice thrustmaster wheel and pedal. Will repurpose my rift s elsewhere.

I hooked up some old Samsung 32" huge bezel on it, it's funny. So much better. Getting 200 fps on it. When I tried my kids laptop to the same tv, was like 30 fps,nits a cheap $300 laptop.

So my question is what resolution tv should I buy? 4k, 1080? I am set on a single screen and 40 or 43". It will be wall mounted in front of my playseat. Actually have two chairs, the playseat f1 and the playseat evolution red bull. So I will have two tvs side by side. My son is 7 and the red bull seat is his.

Thank you...

That spec should run 4k quite comfortably. I would recommend reviewing the specs for the input lag when comparing choices though. Also the FOV might be a little narrow if you mount a 43" at the end of the rig. No option to move it closer?

Upvote 0
I would get a 49" Ultrawide monitor , i have one and actually prefer it to VR (HP Reverb).

I sold the VR headset as i wasn't a fan of it on my face , horrible to use when it's hot and the graphics are still pretty average , small sweet spot.

I love the 49" and think it's also better than 3 x 27" screens.

I only play driving sims and some don't support VR anyway (WRC 8 , awesome game) so you won't be limited by that.

49" monitor was the best thing i purchased for sim racing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just a question, how long have you tried getting into VR?
I got really motion sick when I first got into VR, but returned every day, and was able to do a bit longer every day. After 1 or 2 weeks I no longer had any issues with VR.

Upvote 0
49" monitor was the best thing i purchased for sim racing.
Which monitor did you buy? I am also interested on (ultra) wide screen, such as BenQ X3501R that is a 35” 21:9 and has good response, a good latency and FreeSync, but I am not sure if it is big enough to have a decent FOV.
I am going to buy a P1-X with a DD1, so my distance to the screen should be about 85 cm.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Which monitor did you buy? I am also interested on (ultra) wide screen, such as BenQ X3501R that is a 35” 21:9 and has good response, a good latency and FreeSync, but I am not sure if it is big enough to have a decent FOV.
I am going to buy a P1-X with a DD1, so my distance to the screen should be about 85 cm.
Good online tool I discovered a while back for different monitors size visualization

Upvote 0
Nice visual comparison tool! Thank you!
So it seems that on the horizontal axis, that is the most important for sim racing/FOV, there is not such big difference.
Maybe I can save some money and get a good 35”.

Upvote 0
It's a local branded (Australia) 49" Kogan Ultrawide pretty much the same as the Samsung C49J890 3840 x 1080p 144Hz.

I don't think i would notice a difference with the higher resolution one as i'm 51 and i need reading glasses now with things close up so i find 3840 x 1080p perfect for me and i sit 65cm from the screen also it's half the price of the higher resolution one.

Upvote 0
Nice visual comparison tool! Thank you!
So it seems that on the horizontal axis, that is the most important for sim racing/FOV, there is not such big difference.
Maybe I can save some money and get a good 35”.
Can you tell me why your screen is so far away? I have a Dell 34" 3440x1440 and it is only 56cm away and right above my DD2. Doesn't sim labs make a mount to place it over your DD1? Just wondering. TIA

Upvote 0
Hi @JimLee

That’s a heated topic :sick:

I was thinking to place the display just over my DD1, but watching some FOV setup tutorials and sitting guide I’ve understood that it’s not correct.
As I understood placing the screen on top of the wheel base it would change the horizon position.

Please check this video and also this one.

Honestly I am quite puzzled about this topic, I was thinking to create a new specific thread about this topic.

Upvote 0
Hello Kill KRT,

After watching those two links, I see their potential issues. I my case , my set up consists of a 8020 frame (modeled to replicate my S2000 interior) and the frame design allowed to place the monitor directly over the DD2 just behind the OLED. My Forza GT wheel covers the bottom 5.7cm of the screen (screen ht = 33.6cm) with horizon at eye level 17.8cm from the top. So it all seems fine, with a FOV 35º. I do use a TrackIR5 to look to apex and mirrors (minimal head movement for horizontal and next to no vertical movement).
I, like you tried out the new Rift S, but the screen door effect and the disconnecting/reconnecting of the cables to sync it every time I started my computer was too much. I sort of got past the nausea stage, but heat also played a part. You might want to look into TrackIR, it worked out better than I originaly thought it would.

IMG_0513a.jpg

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply, very informative!

At the end I think that the most important thing is to recreate the feeling that you are sitting in a real car and try to keep the prospective perception as close as possible to reality.

I am using OpenTrack with Trackhat solution (headset version), but to me it works quite well only with AC, while it always get me angry with iRacing, cannot understand why.

BTW, I am still back and forth thinking if it could make sense to give another chance to VR, maybe with a decent headset.
Lastly I have been spending hours try to find the perfect display to be used in my rig, but I cannot find the perfect solution. Maybe I am too overthinking about it!
Today I found that this beast should be released in next months and now I am so confused! :confused: It will cost two kidneys, but it seems to have all the features that I desire and I do love the 1000R curvature!

Upvote 0
Hi I also suffered with motion sickness, Driving sims in VR a proberbly the worst games for it.... before you give up get afew free games from steam etc and play those also as soon as you get the feeling of Motion sickness, STOP!!! have a rest and then go back to it you will find you will build up an immunity to it after time ..Thats how I did it and can run VR driving sims with no issues

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Standard game content

Votes: 12 30.0%