What seat for DIY rig

Hello!
I'm planing to make my own racing rig on low budget, but can't decide on what second hand seat style to go for. Gaming office style or rocking chair?! I would modify it and build my rig around it. Preferable seating position would be GT rather than open wheel. So those with experience, which seat would you recomend for comfortable racing and long sessions?

Buy a bucket or semi-bucket seat. Some not-so-well-known brands make good seats which are not very expensive. So, if you are on a budget avoid brands such as Sparco, OMP, Sabelt, Recaro or MOMO. There are also chinese replicas of certain models which are quite cheap, although don't expect top-notch quality. You can also buy second hand or go to a scrapyard and try to find something in good shape.

Last edited:
Buy a bucket or semi-bucket seat. Some not-so-well-known brands make good seats which are not very expensive. So, if you are on a budget avoid brands such as Sparco, OMP, Sabelt, Recaro or MOMO. There are also chinese replicas of certain models which are quite cheap, although don't expect top-notch quality. You can also buy second hand or go to a scrapyard and try to find something in good shape.
I actually kind of like an idea of scrapyard! Tjanks!

Check GT Omega's Store. They have some very comfy seats for less than 200$/€. Even Jardier who is pretty chonky uses one of those. So yeah on a budget those are a very viable option.

racing rig on low budget
Warning: minority opinion...
Depending on your situation, an office chair and wheelstand can work very well.
My wheelstand is next and at right angle to my workstation, with PC between,
so I can pivot from computing to sim driving,
strapping the desk chair the wheelstand to resist braking forces,
which works very well for me with decent force to load cell brake.
I sim drive by HP Reverb VR HMD,
but a monitor on an arm could swing from computing to sim driving.

Long ago, I drove a e.g. C modified sports racer pretty much fully reclined;
after strapping in and driving, it did not feel to me much different on track
than later wheeling mildly prepped BMWs with Recaro or Momo seats,
with the main consideration being comfortable or not rather than amount of recline.
IMO, a more comfortable swivel office chair is better than a dedicated racing bucket
which will nearly always require trial and error to get comfortable and avoid getting overheated.

Warning: minority opinion...
Depending on your situation, an office chair and wheelstand can work very well.
My wheelstand is next and at right angle to my workstation, with PC between,
so I can pivot from computing to sim driving,
strapping the desk chair the wheelstand to resist braking forces,
which works very well for me with decent force to load cell brake.
I sim drive by HP Reverb VR HMD,
but a monitor on an arm could swing from computing to sim driving.

Long ago, I drove a e.g. C modified sports racer pretty much fully reclined;
after strapping in and driving, it did not feel to me much different on track
than later wheeling mildly prepped BMWs with Recaro or Momo seats,
with the main consideration being comfortable or not rather than amount of recline.
IMO, a more comfortable swivel office chair is better than a dedicated racing bucket
which will nearly always require trial and error to get comfortable and avoid getting overheated.
That's kind of what I was thinking, office chair being more comfy. My plan is to build a frame and integrate office chair without a stand in it. As this is my first time getting into sim racing rig "game", I don't want to put much money in it.. yet!! And slowly find out what works better. So when time comes, I will take appart my office chair and put in frame.
Thank you!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea