What is your favorite headset for Sim Racing?

Are you talking about a VR headset, or a gaming headset?

If it’s the latter then I would honestly avoid gaming headsets and go for normal headphones from the likes of Sony, Sennheiser, AKG or Beyerdynamic, and then add something like an Antlion ModMic, Or if you’re feeling rich something like the Audeze LCD-GX. That’s assuming you need to communcate with the Crew Chief, Jeff, or god forbid some random piece of meatware on the internet. Otherwise just stick to normal decent headphones

If it’s a wireless setup you want then I would avoid bluetooth based headsets - my experience with them is spotty, and headphones with a dedicated 2.4GHz base station/USB dongle seem to have a far more solid connection.

I have two wireless gaming headsets - the Astro A50 and the Steelseries Arctis Wireless pro, generally considered to be high end gaming headphones - costing around $300 each. While they do the job and I’ve never had any dropouts, I’ve heard better sound quality from some $20 wired Sony headphones

Over-ear headphones offer better long term comfort for eyeglass wearers.
For speech intelligibility e.g. understanding rally navigator or crew chief,
headphones that favor voice (e.g. classic AKG) work well.
If some environmental awareness is wanted, open back Sennheiser are good.
To block more background noise and add bass, I like Shure SRH840.

We Have a number of pairs of hyper X cloud 2's. For the $$ they are so light and comfortable.

I have to say though, I saw Dan Suzuki wearing the IEM's and wanted to try. I have never been good with using earbuds for a long period without discomfort but I got the ones he was using a lot of people had said good things about them.

I quite like them, they are comfortable, they of course dont get warm/hot leaving them on for a long time and my fans do a better job of cooling me down as I dont have my ears covered.

They work for me as I already used a mic on a boom to mitigate other room sounds. If you need a mic on the headset they dont come with one although you can buy add ons. If I need to go for a tinkle I leave them in my ears and just unplug them and keep wearing them.

Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset. Got that for 50 Euros back when it came out... in 2004. Note the numeral in the name and its age will be obvious :D The thing is so old it's not even on Amazon anymore, but seems like you can still buy one on this finnish site:

• Deleted member 197115

Do you need headphones or headset as headphones with mic?
You have much more options with studio audio quality with former, especially with open design, headsets are usually for broadcast and gaming where sound quality is not that critical. There are very few that can serve as decent compromise between two. I think Beyerdynamic MMX300 (2nd gen) can fit the bill. I've only had Beyer studio phones so can't comment on this particular model sound quality, but it seems to have decent rating on head-fi.org.

The Sony WH-1000XM3 noise cancelling headphones have been a game changer for me.

- Wireless
- Have long battery life
- Great sound
- Great comfort
- Excellent noise cancelling features

With a motion simulator there are always unwanted noises. The buttkickers, the wind sim, the SFX even the AccuForce and especially the GS5. Then there are of course all the cooling fans of the PC running at high speeds, amplifier amps ect ect.

The Sony WH-1000XM3 filters them all out leaving me only with pure racing audio.

I never imagined the difference would be so great.

I have the same experience with my noise cancelling headphones. Bought them for travelling, but use them for simracing now. They work superbly well and cancel the noise from my motion platform etc.

The Sony WH-1000XM3 noise cancelling headphones have been a game changer for me.

- Wireless
- Have long battery life
- Great sound
- Great comfort
- Excellent noise cancelling features

With a motion simulator there are always unwanted noises. The buttkickers, the wind sim, the SFX even the AccuForce and especially the GS5. Then there are of course all the cooling fans of the PC running at high speeds, amplifier amps ect ect.

The Sony WH-1000XM3 filters them all out leaving me only with pure racing audio.

I never imagined the difference would be so great.
I tried my bose 700 NC after I wrote my post and have to say I am quite pleased. I have motion and tactile as well, the tactile was something that still went through, especially after I put some units higher up on the seat.

The tactile sound is completely gone leaving only the vibration. One curious thing is I was able to turn up the tactile as well. It seems that the level I had it was influenced also by the amount of sound it produced, not just the vibration.

The only downside is that they are warmer than iems and they dont sit so great over my G2. Hmm, perhaps I should look at the sony fit... :)

I used the Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless for quite a long time. They are a very good option and the battery swap feature is one of the often overlooked and very nice features. The only thing I personally didn't like about these is that the material on the ear-cups is not the most comfortable. They are also on the more expensive side.

I recently changed to some audio-fool headphones (Beyerdynamic) with a separate amp (Creative BlasterX G6). I am SUPER happy with these now. Quality and comfort is another level. The downside is that they are wired, but I got used to that. You also need a separate mic, but reality is that I don't connect that very often so I got a basic lav mic connected to the G6 when needed. In my case, for sure the 3 items added up to more than date Arctis Pro Wireless, but there are for sure other options that can be found for more reasonable investment.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back