What is your favorite headset for Sim Racing?

I tried my bose 700 NC after I wrote my post and have to say I am quite pleased. I have motion and tactile as well, the tactile was something that still went through, especially after I put some units higher up on the seat.

The tactile sound is completely gone leaving only the vibration. One curious thing is I was able to turn up the tactile as well. It seems that the level I had it was influenced also by the amount of sound it produced, not just the vibration.

The only downside is that they are warmer than iems and they dont sit so great over my G2. Hmm, perhaps I should look at the sony fit... :)
I have the Sony NC and the Bose 700NC and find them both similar in comfort, but the Sony does fit a bit better of my Valve Index and does slightly better job on the noise cancelling.

The difference however is not big enough to buy a Sony if you already have a Bose

Last edited:
Also using some noise cancelling Sony and with a motion system, they are doing a fantastic job... I hear almost no actuator noises, greatly increasing immersion. As someone wrote, only engine sound.
They go for 150 refurbished on Amazon..

• Deleted member 197115

My favorite for audio qualities is Sennheiser HD800 in balanced setup, but on sim rig I am using Beyerdynamic T1, as it has more robust build and I don't need to be extra careful with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having made do with a pretty basic (but completely OK) MS Lifechat LX-3000 wired headset for many years (I even bought a second one when the first broke), the pandemic and the lure of being able to pace up and down during boring remote meetings finally pushed me over the edge to buy a wireless headset. Very happy with my Arctis Series 7 Wireless, which I now use for gaming and WFH.
One killer (for me) feature that you won't get on a non-gaming headset is the knob to mix between two separate channels for game and chat (no more faffing with hot keys to turn the chat volume up/down).
It has a dedicated wireless dongle, which means no Bluetooth-induced audio latency. That's no biggie in sim-racing but in FPS shooters a few hundred milliseconds of audio lag (it can be that bad) can become life-threatening ;)
The top-end models have Bluetooth as well the dongle, but I'm not gonna cart them around when travelling (huge) so not bothered.

I needed a wireless option as my rig is moved too far from my PC now to use my wired set. Just grabbed the Corsair Virtuoso XT, which are currently on sale for just above $200 USD and I cannot recommend them enough.

I have used wireless sets in the past(including the Steelseries Siberia, a predecessor to the current Arctis Pro) and was skeptical as they all sounded obviously muffled and flat connected over wireless. These Corsair sets though are crystal clear and get suitably loud. Practically sound like they are plugged in. They also come with Dolby Atmos support and a free license if you install the Atmos app(worth it).

Added bonus is they also support simultaneous Bluetooth connection, so I can take calls from my cell or listen to a podcast while racing/practicing. Separate volume dials on the headset itself for each, it’s pretty useful.

Finally the included mic is maybe the best direct headset mic I’ve heard. Lots of Youtube reviews of this set with mic tests. Can confirm it sounds as clear as their tests make it appear. It’s super impressive. I’m honestly thinking of just making it my only headset and ditching my wired Sennheiser I normally use at my desk. It’s that great. Build quality is strong and the design is sleek, no gamer trim nonsense. Just metal and aluminum finish. Battery life has been very good too.

Bose QC 35 II gaming headset. For long races, comfort is more important than ultimate audio quality.
Wireless mode helps declutter all the cords. Noise cancelling mode can improve immersion.

• Deleted member 197115

I am in love with my Audeze Mobius. Best sound in its pricerange and perfect for gaming. The 7.1 positional audio is mindblowing
Wow, planar headset with mic that looks comfy and modern enough, They also have LCD-GX for deeper pockets.
Bet sounds good, I've used to own LCD-2 before.
BTW, if anyone interested, Adorama has "secret" sale of HifiMan HE6se V2, just ordered pair for myself.
(secret discount link). They need beefy amp though.

I have been using a pair of HiFiMan Sundaras since March but the left earcup just blew out. I sent them an email, and it looks like they will be sending me replacements without much fuss. I appreciate the support and them sending out a replacement.

For sound quality, I think they are fantastic. I really like planer headphones and do want to try a set of Audezee's at some point. I have been tempted to try the LCD-X or LCD-2 a few times. Probably will pick up a set at some point. Those HE6se's are a little temping too but you not kidding about needing a beefy amp with those. They are like the poster child for difficult to drive headphones.

For my desktop, I have a set of Focal Elegia's which I love. They are closed back, where I would normally recommend open back if you can get away with it, however, they are fantastic. Rocking out with them and a single ended triode tube amp I just built and think they are probably the best setup I have had the chance to hear. The Focal's seem to nice for me to use sim racing though. I don't want to get them sweaty and gross, the materials, fit and finish of them is on another level and they just feel like something you want to take care of.

If I were to buy myself a treat right now, it would probably be a set of the Focal Clear MGs that just came out. I have not actually had the chance to hear them yet, but they are gorgeous and I love Focal. I'm sure I would think they are too nice for the simrig too though.

On a side note, I almost always list to music while I drive in most sims. Who else rocks out while driving?

Logi G935. Is it the best? No, not even close and the built quality is questionable as best. Why did I choose it then? Its the only one that fits my massive head... :O_o:

• Deleted member 197115

If I were to buy myself a treat right now, it would probably be a set of the Focal Clear MGs that just came out. I have not actually had the chance to hear them yet, but they are gorgeous and I love Focal. I'm sure I would think they are too nice for the simrig too though.
May be grab original Clear, based on some reviews it's even better than replacement.

Some of the headphones we're talking about cost as much, if not more, than a top end DD wheel setup.

Personally as somebody who owns $1000 plus headphones, plus $1000 DACs and amps to drive them I think we're getting quite a way beyond what is needed for sim racing. Truth is that headphones in the $2-300 range are probably the sweet spot if you choose carefully (and you avoid gaming headsets).

@Bram Hengeveld after everything that's been said here, are you honestly any the wiser?

It has a dedicated wireless dongle, which means no Bluetooth-induced audio latency. That's no biggie in sim-racing but in FPS shooters a few hundred milliseconds of audio lag (it can be that bad) can become life-threatening ;)
Monza T1 in a modern car with semi-automatic gearbox and you'll eat your words about it being no biggie :D
I have some bose qc35 II and without the cable, the lag is horrendously too much for racing gt3 cars!
It's not that much lag though. I'd guess about 100ms. Just enough to get a bit annoyed regarding lipsync but doable.

But racing.. Please not.

The mix knobs of some gaming headsets sound great though.
And to be honest gaming headsets came a long way.
Nowadays they are pretty high quality. And one thing gaming headsets often offer over "audiophile" stereo headphones:
Bass...

• Deleted member 197115

And to be honest gaming headsets came a long way.
Nowadays they are pretty high quality. And one thing gaming headsets often offer over "audiophile" stereo headphones:
Bass...
Long way for target use, still fall short for music application, when high end headphones are usually good for both. And there are plenty bass heavy, neutral, and bass shy headphones in higher end spectrum.
And I can tell you first hand that nothing compares to positional accuracy of HD800 when playing FPS.
There was a good advice in this thread, forget all these no name "gaming" headsets and get moderately priced stereo headphones from known audiophile brand. That would be a very good compromise without breaking a bank.
E.g. https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR1AM2-Resolution-Overhead-Headphones/dp/B07BCBT3KC/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=sony+mdr-1am2&qid=1640548792&sprefix=sony+mdr-1,aps,129&sr=8-1
Feather light, super comfortable and sound very good for the price, gaming or playing music.

And I agree on BT headsets latency, it's just not good for any kind of gaming.

Long way for target use, still fall short for music application, when high end headphones are usually good for both. And there are plenty bass heavy, neutral, and bass shy headphones in higher end spectrum.
And I can tell you first hand that nothing compares to positional accuracy of HD800 when playing FPS.
There was a good advice in this thread, forget all these no name "gaming" headsets and get moderately priced stereo headphones from known audiophile brand. That would be a very good compromise without breaking a bank.
E.g. https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR1AM2-Resolution-Overhead-Headphones/dp/B07BCBT3KC/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=sony+mdr-1am2&qid=1640548792&sprefix=sony+mdr-1,aps,129&sr=8-1
Feather light, super comfortable and sound very good for the price, gaming or playing music.

And I agree on BT headsets latency, it's just not good for any kind of gaming.
Totally and utterly agree. The only reason I use my gaming headset is that it's latency free wireless (not bluetooth) and it has an inbuilt mic. Even then I only use it to play with a mate of mine online.

If I need headphones for single player gaming then I'm on my AKG Q701 as they offer a vast, almost artificially vast, soundstage, which means I can hear exactly where everything is - The K702 which is similar can be had for around $150 these days and is often referred to as a poor man's HD800 in terms of positioning and soundstage.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Very decent reference of modern headphones ranking in all categories and prices.

@Clover11, these HE6sev2 are amazing. The most tonally accurate headphones I've had to date, amazing effortless clarity and details. Was afraid due to amplification requirements, but seems like Auralic Taurus MKII drives them in balanced mode just fine with 12-1 o'clock volume position and plenty of headroom.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.