What is the wheel to buy?

Authense

So fast I am slow
I am using an older Fanatec CSR for open wheel cars. It's ok but it has got its limitations.

I am looking for a real good replacement with F1 style, real good FFB and highly compatible with PC and Assetto Corsa.

What is the best wheel to buy, what about a Thrustmaster TS-PC for instance or any wheel in that price range? It should fit a Playseat Evolution including pedals.

What do you recommend?

....and together with a Clubsport Formula Carbon it could be the real deal.

Anything like that available in the market from other vendors?

Do you care as much about the pedals? I think about continuing to use my standard CSR pedals of which I found a brand new set on ebay lately.

My CSW v2 (only 2.5 available now) + Formula Carbon has been beast for the money. It's the best before stepping into Direct Drive and a higher pricerange. I've tried Thrustmaster products, they're great for the lower price than CSW, but not in the same league. Otherwise, maybe look at the CSL products, that is superior to the older CSR products by far.

The fanatec gear is fairly compact and industry standard it shouldnt be an issue. I actually made the same upgrade. Its a big improvement. I got the BMW rim with mine but just ordered the Mclaren rim.

I have rocked Logitech wheels for the longest time. I raced with a DFP for about 10 years, then about 3 years ago I got a G27. I was thinking about swapping it for something else. I raced on one of those sit in - sims at Silverstone and they had a Thrustmaster wheel that really impressed me. It had a Sparco rim of some sort, not sure of the model, TX something - I think!

The wheel, base and pedals have arrived yesterday.

Setup:
Mounting onto my Playseat Evolution went flawless. I have the pedals directly connected to the PC with USB. The Fanatec driver then asked me to update base and pedal firmware with no issue but for the pedals a reboot was required. In Content Manager I was able to assign all my preferred settings to the wheel's buttons.

Testrun:
This is a huge step up from a still good CSR. CSR was launched back in 2011 and what I can tell is the evolution of wheels since then and right out of the box. Running through the first corner in Spa I can now tell how much the tires are sliding and when they are starting to have grip again, also by using brake rumble that can be activated using Fanaleds. This rig provides a hell lot more information for the driver.

Optimization and initial issues:
I am still in the process of optimizing settings, however, initial and heavy oscillation of the wheel on the Spa straight - the wheel went nuts when I took my hands off - I cold solve (see below). There has also been a slight resistance around the center that I had to break through when turning into a corner, also resolved (see below).

Please note: All of the following is meant to be open wheel car optimized and I am mostly looking for people who are tweaking this rig for the exact same purpose.

Settings:
Driver v311: 900 degrees
Wheel: SEN: Aut, FFB: 100, SHO: 100, FEI: 50, DRI-5, all others off
Content Manager: Wheel: 900 degrees, Gain: 100, all others zero or off
FFB clip: Dynamic off (!), Gain 100, Threshold: 100

Comments on the above settings

FEI:
Besides the roughness of FFB events, FEI also reduces the heaviness of the wheel. At FEI:100 effects kick in quite rough, which is nice, but 50 feels more smooth coming from the CSR. I might increase this later.

DRI: -5 avoids the oscillating of the wheel on the straight, have not yet found or tested a different setting to give me the same results, however, Fanatec says in another forum, that either DRI or DPR can help avoiding this issue (if perceived as an issue).

Dynamic off (FFBclip): If ON, I get this small and unnatural resistance around the center, but when set to OFF the wheel is totally smooth in all direction. I have read somewhere, that the "ON" feature is meant for DD wheels and not for belt driven such as the 2.5. Maybe that's why it causes me trouble. It never did with the CSR though but that might be due to its limitation anyway.

GAIN: FFBclip sets Spa with a Ferrari F2004 to 69% gain (which is completed through Eau rouge while running across the curbs), there are no higher FFB spikes on that track.

FFB: I believe, key is to maximize all FFB settings until the final stage which is FFBclip. Do not touch wheel FFB or Assetto Corsa Gain. Just provide 100% and let FFB clip do the rest. That will result in a per car and per track best setting.

Steering sync: The wheel is completely in sync with the steering lock /rotation limit of the car, I do not even have to force Content Manager to ensure this anymore. This is particularly important to me as I am driving in VR and want my arms to be in the exact same position as the simulated wheel ingame for total immersion.

Comments, other suggestions?

Final best settings and now hitting previous best lap times:

SEN: AUT
FF: 100
SHO: OFF
ABS: OFF
FOR: 100
DRI: -1
SPR: OFF
DPR: OFF
FEI: 100

AC: Wheel rotation 900, FF:100 and all others 0 or OFF
Ingame: Adjust FF to what you like with either FFBclip or Kunos FF app. I am fine with the Kunos app as I am reducing FF to a level where there is absolutely no clipping possible.

FEI: Realism of the effect with 100 being most realistic and 0 being "bubble gum"
FOR: Force applied (must be 100, otherwise no need to buy this base)
FF: Feedback provided (must be 100, otherwise no need to buy this base)
DRI: -1 and the car just goes where you want it to go

This way I get all the wheel can do and I just alter this ingame to what I can handle overall.

In the end, it is fairly simple:thumbsup:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back