What do you race on most in terms of screen format?

What do you race on most in terms of screen format?

• Triples

Votes: 665 10.3%
  • VR

Votes: 1,234 19.2%
  • 16:9

Votes: 3,104 48.3%
  • 21:9 Ultra Wide

Votes: 937 14.6%
  • 32:9 Super Ultra Wide

Votes: 425 6.6%
  • Other, specify in comments

Votes: 67 1.0%

• Total voters
16:10 had it for years and I won't change it for a pathetic letterbox (16:9) no matter ho cheap they are in comparison.
Seriously though I find the the 16:10 (1680: 1050) offers a little more real estate, and when using my son's 16:9 I can feel the difference.
I've tried VR but feel cut off from the world and I don't like it, the same for cans (headphones) I can't use them either.

I have strong motion sickness, so VR is no option. I was driving for 15 years on 16:9
After i switched to 21:9 UW i asked myself why i did not do it years earlier. Completly must have.
Tripple would only be an option, if i had additional room for it.

So a ask all simracers - do you a favor and go away from single 16:9 monitor !!! You´l never regret :D

• Deleted member 197115

16:9 is TV and traditional desktop monitor format. Prevalence of those is expected.
Doesn't meant that a lot of users have it actually attached to the rig, I had one, it was not the best suited format for sim-racing esp. when going big, too much unused space at the top, little on sides.

16:10 had it for years and I won't change it for a pathetic letterbox (16:9) no matter ho cheap they are in comparison.
Hehe, yeah I know what you mean. I use 16:10 screens in work and have gone to some lengths to hang on to them. However, when I last replaced my home monitor, I eventually gave in and just bought a 16:9 because there were just too few decent 16:10 options out there (and none that met my criteria).

Seriously though I find the the 16:10 (1680: 1050) offers a little more real estate
If there would be even a single 165+ Hz 16:10 monitor in the world, I'd buy it.
Sadly, there's none.

It's not about having as many fps. It's about not needing any sync at such high Hz, no matter the fps. It's always smooth enough and the very little tearing is basically invisible.
80-110 fps are my sweetspot where it becomes really smooth without needing insane hardware or lower settings.

And for scrolling through documents, it's really awesome. I have 2x 24", 165 Hz, 16:9 stacked on top of each other (the top monitor upside down for super small bezels).
I can read while the text is moving. Impossible with 60 Hz and still a bit eye straining at 100 Hz.

Last edited:
Yes, I think I may (sadly) finally have "caught the bug" that lets me detect that 60 Hz isn't infinite :-S
For me, it was over with 60 Hz when my phone and my everyday Laptop/Tablet both got 120 Hz.
60 Hz at the PC just became stressfully "laggy".
Not for gaming though! The Witcher 3 or similar games are absolutely fine at 60 Hz.
But when you have 20 windows of documents/browser/OneNote open across 3 monitors, it feels so much more efficient with a good mouse, good mousemat and 100+ Hz.

Seriously though I find the the 16:10 (1680: 1050) offers a little more real estate, and when using my son's 16:9 I can feel the difference.
I've tried VR but feel cut off from the world and I don't like it, the same for cans (headphones) I can't use them either.
I6:10 is fantastic for laptops and for desktop i much prefer vertical than moving my head left and right all the time. For my destktop I use an lg dualup which is 16:18 and I really like it.

For sim racing isn't the answer just a bigger monitor? There are not a lot of 16:10 monitors around anymore and they are not the cheapest. Most are 24" so why not just get a 27" 16:9 that has the same height and more width? Yes, its 16:9 but it will have the same vertical usable space that you have now, but more width.

I6:10 is fantastic for laptops and for desktop i much prefer vertical than moving my head left and right all the time. For my destktop I use an lg dualup which is 16:18 and I really like it.

For sim racing isn't the answer just a bigger monitor? There are not a lot of 16:10 monitors around anymore and they are not the cheapest. Most are 24" so why not just get a 27" 16:9 that has the same height and more width? Yes, its 16:9 but it will have the same vertical usable space that you have now, but more width.
A bigger 16:9 monitor does not give you what a 16:10 does, it merely gives you a bigger version of the same 16:9 picture, a 16:10 gives that little bit of above and below real estate,
I have a 16:9 laptop and I'd rather use my Desktop at 16:10.

But it's about what you're happy with, I personally would love another monitor, perhaps a 28"-30" (my current 24" is showing it's age) but because the film and game industry was coerced into the 16:9 market (because it's cheaper) most of us just take it, and the price of 16:10 is unlikely to be competitive in the foreseeable future.

I6:10 is fantastic for laptops and for desktop
I love 3:2 Laptops! It's amazing how good a tiny Laptop can feel with the same height of a bigger one.
Sadly too many people watch Netflix on them instead of working (kidding, lol), so they aren't the mainstream yet.
I've seen some Huawei Laptops with Touch, great resolution and a mobile Ryzen CPU in it. Brilliant Laptops but never in the stores in Germany..
For my destktop I use an lg dualup which is 16:18 and I really like it.
Hehe yeah that's basically my two stacked 16:9 without the bezel :D

A bigger 16:9 monitor does not give you what a 16:10 does, it merely gives you a bigger version of the same 16:9 picture
If the pixel density is identical and you buy a 16:9 with the same height as the 16:10 equivalent, you simply get usable space on the sides.
When working, I don't have issues with the image becoming "too big", like when gaming on a too big monitor can feel for me, overloading my eyes.
I play quite some games in 16:9 and black borders left+right on my 21:9 monitor.
For simracing, I wouldn't have issues with a 180° monitor that's 2 m in height though haha

Last edited:
A bigger 16:9 monitor does not give you what a 16:10 does, it merely gives you a bigger version of the same 16:9 picture, a 16:10 gives that little bit of above and below real estate,
I have a 16:9 laptop and I'd rather use my Desktop at 16:10.

But it's about what you're happy with, I personally would love another monitor, perhaps a 28"-30" (my current 24" is showing it's age) but because the film and game industry was coerced into the 16:9 market (because it's cheaper) most of us just take it, and the price of 16:10 is unlikely to be competitive in the foreseeable future.
That is wrong, when the FOV is set correctly a 27" 16:9 that is the same height as a 24" 16:10 will show all of what the 16:10 did vertically, and more to the side.
It does not just scale or your FOV settings are incorrect.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.