Tracks Watkins Glen International

There really is no shortage of details for this track. This video even analyses the kerbs at each turn (first five minutes)

No track limits for the Indy race, makes for some amazing racing.
I'm stuck in curb hell right now so will take a look at this video a bit later for sure. Once the curbs are done it's clear sailing from there. Not that curbs are hard but I want a certain look where they meet the grass which is a pain to model and match up to the land.

The ones at the inner loop look particularly challenging. They are typically like a billiards table in sims, but not so in real life!

This track looks so simplistic on the surface, but my god it is one hell of a ride. Only one off-camber turn, the one out of the boot, and the total lack of run-off areas. There is more action in the pits in this race than the entire F1 season. Pitlane is two lanes and racing in there seems to be actively encouraged!!

Think I am hooked on Indycar now. Can't take my eyes off the race, even though it's a re-run.

From watching so many laps now, the key quality of Watkins Glen is this channeled, roller-coaster effect of the fencing and camber turns. The boot section still seems separate from the circuit, but if you can capture that enclosed, toboggan-like feel of the circuit, you will have done it justice.

I have no doubts this will be one of the best AC circuits to date.

From watching so many laps now, the key quality of Watkins Glen is this channeled, roller-coaster effect of the fencing and camber turns. The boot section still seems separate from the circuit, but if you can capture that enclosed, toboggan-like feel of the circuit, you will have done it justice.

I have no doubts this will be one of the best AC circuits to date.
Once all that baby blue armco is in it will start to feel like watkins. I actually have all the curbs in and placed where they need to be I'm just joining them to the land and texturing them.

Oh and F1 only wishes it could put on a show like IndyCar at Watkins.

Once all that baby blue armco is in it will start to feel like watkins. I actually have all the curbs in and placed where they need to be I'm just joining them to the land and texturing them.

Oh and F1 only wishes it could put on a show like IndyCar at Watkins.

Really looking forward to the new Indy cars for next year's season. From a purely entertainment point of view, Indy is miles ahead of F1.

• Deleted member 130869

A modern Watkins outside of iRacing will be great. That slow speed, uphill left-hander near the end of the lap is so slippery in every game, now with a good road mesh it should be a better experience.

Watkins is definitely one of the really great tracks in the US. Always loved it in any of the sims over the years. Can't think of a better guy to do it justice :)

Glad to see someone is working on this track. One of my favorites. I kindly like to ask if there are any progress that you can show us LilSki. :):rolleyes:

Last edited:
Glad to see that someone is working on this track. One of my favorites. I kindly like to ask if there are any progress that you can show us LilSki. :):rolleyes:
There has been progress but nothing worth showing yet. All the curbs are in and rough textured as well as all the base armco walls have been layed out. Now Just fine tweaking some of the land elevations around the track. Hopefully I will have something worth showing shortly.

Last edited:
Really looking forward to this one. The tracks that you have made before are top notch quality and are fantastic to drive on. Definitely need more american circuits in AC and with quality like yours, I can live without laserscanning :D

Well I figured I would post a little something. This is the type of thing I think about. On the first few drives with the armco I felt it was too damn "perfect". Given you are so close to it most of the lap I had to work up something.

Here is how it was

amrconodisp.JPG

And with a little displacement. The extreme angle makes it look more crazy than it is.

armcodisp.JPG

Here is one from a distance. It causes a nice little dance of the guard rails as you drive at speed.
Screenshot_ks_porsche_911_gt3_cup_2017_watkins_glen_11-9-117-16-12-8.jpg

Anyway that is a little something. As you can see not much to show yet but that will change quickly

Sweet!

Any ideas to solve the moire banding effect you had with NJMP which caused you to abandon the 3D armcos? Or is the fact that these are blue instead of a metal finish making that a non-issue?

Sweet!

Any ideas to solve the moire banding effect you had with NJMP which caused you to abandon the 3D armcos? Or is the fact that these are blue instead of a metal finish making that a non-issue?
I tried 3D and that is what you see there. The effect is there but it isn't as bad as NJMP was. But still it will likely be a 2D wall. The effect shown here for the displacement will work on either 2D or 3D.

I drove the Pcars version last night and it has the moire pretty bad. Really there is very little anyone can do about it.

I tried 3D and that is what you see there. The effect is there but it isn't as bad as NJMP was. But still it will likely be a 2D wall. The effect shown here for the displacement will work on either 2D or 3D.

I drove the Pcars version last night and it has the moire pretty bad. Really there is very little anyone can do about it.

Just need to build a low pass filter into the helmet face shield, problem solved!! :roflmao:

A friend of mine drove Watkins Glen in real life 2 years ago, he used iRacing Watkins Glen to prepare. Once on the real track he was amazed at how accurate the track side objects were, even the grip levels in the iRacing FR500S Mustang at The Glen were comparable to his BMW M3 in real life at the same track.

Last edited:
One good thing about the terrible rendition of Watkins in PC2 is it got me even more motivated to work on mine for AC. I got all the main armco and just tonight got the catch fences roughed in. I think they are still a tad tall. Displacement noise shown above on the armco is not active in this build so it doesn't "dance" in this video.

Overall I'm happy with the progress and it's nice to get it to a state where it is fairly drivable.

One good thing about the terrible rendition of Watkins in PC2 is it got me even more motivated to work on mine for AC. I got all the main armco and just tonight got the catch fences roughed in. I think they are still a tad tall. Displacement noise shown above on the armco is not active in this build so it doesn't "dance" in this video.

Overall I'm happy with the progress and it's nice to get it to a state where it is fairly drivable.

That's coming along very nicely, really looking forward to it!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back