Cars W.I.P GT4's

I will start this topic by showing a making off to show you my workflow , as it is probably not the usual one used in video game modelling , usually I am working for car industry , mainly proportion models , or production , showcars etc ... which does not use any low poly or typical modelling workflow for video games ^^

So here my first little challenge :

Exterior Speed Modelling [3 days ] : Panoz Avezanno GT4

Info :
The Panoz Avezzano is an American front-engine, rear-drive, V8-powered sports car manufactured in Georgia by Panoz, LLC. Intended for sale both as a road car and as a homologated racing vehicle, the racing-configured Avezzano GT4 was first entered in competition in 2017 in the Pirelli World Challenge, while the street version of the automobile was first offered for sale during the summer of 2017.

Day 1 :

Collecting informations and pictures on the car , to model precisely and have correct proportion , as it is gonna be a speed modeling , in my work we could call that a " proportion " model !

16.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

blueprint.png

day1-avancement.png

day1-avancement02.png

day1-avancement03.png

Some technics I am using to improve quality of reflections and curves for the model
by using guidelines and snapping the mesh to the curve to control reflection

makingof-curves-guidelines.png

makingof-curves-toclean.png

Day 2 :
day2-halfday.png

day2-halfday01.png

day2-halfday02.png

I am using ,often to have a clean reflection in poly-model, some nurb surfaces that I create in Maya to snap my vertex , doing this allows me to make some cut-out , for example for the primer of the windows , in this particular case , I am sure that the reflection with the body/ window would match perfectly

makingof-surfaces-guidelines.png

makingof-surface-as-window-cut.png

makingof-cut-for-window.png

Nice, pretty good for such a short time, too bad you didn't take the time to compare with real pics and used drawings as blueprints (they're never accurate, you should know that given your background in automotive industry). By looking at pictures of the real car is not hard to tell that the model is off in most places.
This doesn't mean is a bad model, I mean, for 3 days is good enough, but why rushing it?

Nice, pretty good for such a short time, too bad you didn't take the time to compare with real pics and used drawings as blueprints (they're never accurate, you should know that given your background in automotive industry). By looking at pictures of the real car is not hard to tell that the model is off in most places.
This doesn't mean is a bad model, I mean, for 3 days is good enough, but why rushing it?

Yes blueprints were not super accurate , I didn t follow them 100% of course
Why not ? This is why I called it a challenge , could have model it full precisely in 1 month or 2 yes ? but what is the point , this is what I am doing everyday , so out of work I want to have fun , I don t want to spend a complete week on the front light to make everysingle details ! In my job I could spend over a year on a piece for production ,

Ps: the car is more close to the real model than some paid mods :thumbsup:

You are not the only one to have a website , https://www.behance.net/Ben_Baron
and by devaluating the work of the others , I Think you should work on improving your visuals ... see you for your next lovely comment !

Yes blueprints were not super accurate , I didn t follow them 100% of course
Why not ? This is why I called it a challenge , could have model it full precisely in 1 month or 2 yes ? but what is the point , this is what I am doing everyday , so out of work I want to have fun , I don t want to spend a complete week on the front light to make everysingle details ! In my job I could spend over a year on a piece for production ,

Ps: the car is more close to the real model than some paid mods :thumbsup:

You are not the only one to have a website , https://www.behance.net/Ben_Baron
and by devaluating the work of the others , I Think you should work on improving your visuals ... see you for your next lovely comment !
You must be using different paid mods than I am...

Anyway, I agree with Dan's sentiment about 3 days perhaps being a bit rushed. Since physics will (hopefully :cautious:) take longer anyway, no harm in extending it to a week or two; it'd certainly still be enough of a challenge in that time frame. It's just to ensure you'll be leaving no one wishing there was a more accurate model available. Bear in mind that working on a car, be it a rip or from scratch, deters others who may have wanted to make the same. If the quality standard isn't there (be it in the model, physics, etc), it ends up being a bit of a missed opportunity for the community. I'm not saying that's the case for the Panoz or your model (though the physics....well, we'll see), but it very well could be for some of the more popular GT4s. Dan wasn't trying to devalue your work, just suggest it could be worth spending *slightly* more time on it, because the technical ability is clearly present.

You must be using different paid mods than I am...

Anyway, I agree with Dan's sentiment about 3 days perhaps being a bit rushed. Since physics will (hopefully :cautious:) take longer anyway, no harm in extending it to a week or two; it'd certainly still be enough of a challenge in that time frame. It's just to ensure you'll be leaving no one wishing there was a more accurate model available. Bear in mind that working on a car, be it a rip or from scratch, deters others who may have wanted to make the same. If the quality standard isn't there (be it in the model, physics, etc), it ends up being a bit of a missed opportunity for the community. I'm not saying that's the case for the Panoz or your model (though the physics....well, we'll see), but it very well could be for some of the more popular GT4s. Dan wasn't trying to devalue your work, just suggest it could be worth spending *slightly* more time on it, because the technical ability is clearly present.
These are all valid points, but judging from the pictures, the cars look very accurate (you can point out if I missed something).
I'm also glad that we have a new skilled modder doing scratch made race cars.

These are all valid points, but judging from the pictures, the cars look very accurate (you can point out if I missed something).

Thank you , I know by myself some areas which would have need more work , but the personal challenge was to see what I could achieve in 3 days time ! And as I said in the explanations you could compare this model to a proportional model ... main proportion of the cars are respected for me !

I don t understand comments like those 2 guys , which are even not liking , or appreciating , (thinking they are gods probably) , this is not my behaviour in real life , and I can see the same behaviour in the professional world unfortunately , and what is opening my eyes finaly is that before to go to Automotive Design Industry ,, I was hesitating with video games , but I can see exactly same behaviour as it is design !! so no regret at all :) ...

Judging from the pictures they aren't very accurate, they look nice and shiny, but not true to the real life car. He admitted it himself, but since he's not being open to criticism I won't bother.

qxh2331 said:
I don t understand comments like those 2 guys , which are even not liking , or appreciating , (thinking they are gods probably)
He even compare us to gods, seems like no one below god level can make a critic of his work... godspeed dude, and see you on the other side!

Thank you , I know by myself some areas which would have need more work , but the personal challenge was to see what I could achieve in 3 days time ! And as I said in the explanations you could compare this model to a proportional model ... main proportion of the cars are respected for me !
Hope you'll find the motivation for the next level and go beyond proportion models.
@mclarenf1papa made a very good point regarding the "missed opportunities".

Judging from the pictures they aren't very accurate, they look nice and shiny, but not true to the real life car. He admitted it himself, but since he's not being open to criticism I won't bother.

He even compare us to gods, seems like no one below god level can make a critic of his work... godspeed dude, and see you on the other side!
if you have problems of understanding and reading stuff , then I cannot do anything for you !
You are still welcome to show how off my model is , I have no pb with that or justified critics , the first sentence was explaining speed modeling = proportion model ... and your first comment is about

1588064416974.png

what do you know about car industry then ???
What I know about car industry , by doing production models , is that Poly modelling is not accurate .... reflectivity of surfaces , gaps , offset , any stuff you will do in poly will not be accurate .... My preferences on alias as A class models are like 0.001 mm and tangency or curvature continuity are 0.01 mm , which you don t control any time on your " precise poly model "

So your free critics ,to tell that is not accurate , yes it is not , like your models so far ...
i will be happy to argu with you , but my feeling is you are a super closed mind person !

see you on the other side like you said

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back