Vanilla Balance Mod Beta - Testers Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
This mod has now been released. All the changes are listed in the above link. If a Forum Admin is reading this, if you could remove the "Testers Wanted" and change it to "Development Discussion" thread, it would be appreciated.

UPDATED TO WORK WITH 1.3

Note: In attempts to fix the interviews and dilemmas, I have temporarily removed all non English languages from those two files. I hope to reinsert them into a later version (but when I do, they'll still be the vanilla text as I am unable to translate in any other language).

Last edited:
Edit: I feel the Good/Average/Bad start system should be stat assisted (instead of total RNG). ANyway wish to suggest which stat this may be?

I think that it should be linked to Focus, really. But could you also connect it to the tyre heating stat of the chassis? Since tyre temp is important to starts, and there's no formation lap in game. If not, you could always link it to both Focus and Consistency for more of a difference between drivers.

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:
Moving straight onto Mechanic stats:

Performance
  • Already the stat people look at most along with reliability
Reliability
  • Already the stat people look at the most along with performance.
Pitstop (speed of it)
  • In vanilla, this goes between 0 and 2s. (with a plus 0-4 based on pit strategy)
  • This has been increased to 0-3! This is also multiplied up when choosing Balanced or safe strategy so worse case scenario is (Safe = 11s, Balanced = 7s, Fast = 3s) while the best is (2s,1s,0s)... So this stat now really matters! (subject to balancing).
Concentration (risk %)
  • In vanilla, the pit stop strategy has a base (safe 0%, Balanced 10%, Fast 25%) + the mechanics stat here (10-0%)
  • This has been doubled to 20%-0% for safe, 40-0 for balanced, and 60-0 for fast (and the base % lowered to 0, 5, 10% respectively)
Speed (actually Chemistry) (driver relationship modifier)... You can tell these stats had other purposes.
  • Set this so that the maximum gain each race now falls between 0% and 5% based off of this stat (and race performance).
  • This is still under powered but there's a future feature I want to reserve this for!
Leadership (actually Part Repair)
  • In vanilla this.... I don't really know what this did.... Check your repair times with a 1 vs 10 mechanic and I don't know if you'll see any difference. The dll talks about a 5%-10% something.... but I really don't see what its referring to at all. It certainly isn't time (is it amount of repair? do they not get put to max?)
  • For the time being then. I've just added an extra 0-10s part repair based on the stat (I'll balance it later unless I can work out what on earth it was doing originally)
Tomorrow I begin work on the Collision Overhaul. Maybe these stats and that are enough for an experimental release (especially given as I'll be working all weekend - and over that weekend I can plan the next area of the project).

Last edited:
Stat changes looking good!

• In vanilla this.... I don't really know what this did.... Check your repair times with a 1 vs 10 mechanic and I don't know if you'll see any difference.
Was this connected to the after race repair times? If it wasn't, can it be (also, on top of the race repairs)?

I feel the Good/Average/Bad start system should be stat assisted (instead of total RNG). ANyway wish to suggest which stat this may be?

Definitely Focus.

Increased the Potency of both the overtake and defending stats so theyre really damned important.

Do you know if there any differences between how this is single seater and GT? I like to see a lot of overtaking in GT.

Adaptability
  • Is now faster the more rain is on track
Is there a chance of using this to modify the happy range for tyres? More adaptability = more overlap between dry/intermediate zones & intermediate & wet zones?

I feel the Good/Average/Bad start system should be stat assisted (instead of total RNG). ANyway wish to suggest which stat this may be?

I guess you mean the race starts and I agree completely. I would think that Overtaking-Focus (and maybe Adaptability, to coop up with the chaos of the race start ) stats are well suited for this job. But If you need only one I would choose Focus.

The Mechanic Stat changes look promising.

• In vanilla this.... I don't really know what this did.... Check your repair times with a 1 vs 10 mechanic and I don't know if you'll see any difference. The dll talks about a 5%-10% something.... but I really don't see what its referring to at all. It certainly isn't time (is it amount of repair? do they not get put to max?)

Normally the Part Fix stat improves the repair process in pit stops (I don't think it has any effect for the after race repair time, the reliability status of the parts on the race end effects the after race repair times). But I am not sure if it speeds up the repair speed or lowers the needed time for the repair. I had one with yellow and one with green Part Fix stat and the pit stop times where different for repairing same parts. It's been a while so I can't remember specifically the time difference.

Last edited:
Hi theFlamingRed and greetings to everyone! i'm new on this forum but i follow this mod still it's born, really a great work!
In passed week i've tryed to work some setting and put down some ideas to improve your work, i will very happy to can collaborate to the development of this mod. i've a question about dilemmas, expecially pre and post season dilemmas.
there is a parameter to touch for have a major number of dilemma during a season?
i've edited your file !__mDilemmas but when i put it in modding/database the game does not read it.. where am I wrong?
thx for replies and sorry for any grammatical error, i'm not an english user :)

i've edited your file !__mDilemmas but when i put it in modding/database the game does not read it.. where am I wrong?

Dilemmas are not supported by the standard workshop database system. If you want to edit them, you need to use the asset bundle extractor to edit resources.assets file directly.

great, thx for replies! i've done a lot of work on dilemmas and the thing was starting to become frustrating XD And for increase the number of dilemmas during a season there is something to touch or is simply a situation like more dilemmas i've more chance i have to have a dilemma?

Stat changes looking good!

Was this connected to the after race repair times? If it wasn't, can it be (also, on top of the race repairs)?

Definitely Focus.

Do you know if there any differences between how this is single seater and GT? I like to see a lot of overtaking in GT.

Is there a chance of using this to modify the happy range for tyres? More adaptability = more overlap between dry/intermediate zones & intermediate & wet zones?

As Bey says, that after race repair is from a different part of the file, it has a maximum and minimum time and as the season progresses, the Tim eti repair goes down and down.

So the mechanic repair does something else. Definatly not time, as after testing it, I learned that as a part gets more wear, it's time to repair in race goes up slightly. I am wondering if it actually doesn't repair something all the way to MAX (which is a word stated when you start the race on condition) but rather to 90-95%? It's hard to tell.

Long story short - and I don't know how I never realised it before - it really isn't doing anything significant.

I realise my 0-10s (now I've slept in it) is probably far too harsh as a flat bump. I think I'll change it so that if you have 0 in it, then all repair times are doubled, and a 20 they're default or a little quicker then normal (. I think that's fairer. (I was taken aback by how little the stat did... I thought I knew what they all did so was just going to boost them).

As for the repair time being changed to incorporate the stat, I can probably add it in. Though it would need to be an average of both stats as there are two mechanics. So the effect of their stats is demijsihed via it being shared. It's not a bad second use though as half the races in the series you may not need to repair anything.

I a also wondering if reliability and performance need a tiny 0.5% boost now, because some of these chnages really result in massive pit stop changes! (Time, risk, repair - 1 minute pitstops may be back again for a standard repair Job now if the mechanics aren't good! - but generallythe AI are quite good at hiring decent staff)

(Wonder if I can get a commentary feed to tell me if a driver has had a problem in the pits, or comes innto repairs something's).

Not looked at gt/SS overtaking. The profile of gt cars is different (less top, acc, bra, msc, lsc, hsc. That might be making an impact.

I guess you mean the race starts and I agree completely. I would think that Overtaking-Focus (and maybe Adaptability, to coop up with the chaos of the race start ) stats are well suited for this job. But If you need only one I would choose Focus.

The Mechanic Stat changes look promising.

Normally the Part Fix stat improves the repair process in pit stops (I don't think it has any effect for the after race repair time, the reliability status of the parts on the race end effects the after race repair times). But I am not sure if it speeds up the repair speed or lowers the needed time for the repair. I had one with yellow and one with green Part Fix stat and the pit stop times where different for repairing same parts. It's been a while so I can't remember specifically the time difference.

Starts: having now slept on it, and I definatly see focus being a good idea,,, buy I wonder if ''feedback" should be used - as an actual 'during race skill'. It's both about communication (getting the right cluck he settings) and 'feeling the car'... it's also about trying to give feedback something race related, even if it's only a few seconds, while focus is already used the entire race at every gate. Focus is logical, but feedback might be the most appropriate game mechanic choice,

Having done a race to test this, the profile of the pitstops for both my cats is massively different.

One can only do a fast pitstop with +3s while the other only has fast at 1s.,, but the 1s one has poor concentration so the mistake % is 50... while the 3s one sits one sits at 11%. Repairing an engine for one takes 25s the other about 16s. These changes are massively increasing pit stop time in ERS - as there are more repairs, and the less good mechanics are available. But it has really nice follow on effects, get one good engineer and a quick driver, and do lots of quick stops. If the other engineer is rubbish, but if he has a tyre wear perk and the driver has good smoothness, try and do less stops to prevent all the time penalties. It's a lovely bit of race (season) strategy based entirely of the mechanics (who were not all that important originally).

The player can game this and get a good advantage in ERS, but again this advantage will disappear as you ascent the tiers and the chassis and mechanics get better. - and I kind of like that too... atm ERS, ASPC and WMC is a "get your car better then the oppositions'" affair, with ERS being a little easier by design because reliability is low because of chassis stats.

Now it might be "good strategy" will get you further in ERS quicker, but the same strategy won't work in ASPC and WMC where chassis and mechanics are better. And so long as ASPC and WMC are challenging series, I'm okay with ERS being an easier proving ground which you can escape in a few seasons (instead of needing 8) before really having to slog it out with the higher tiers,

great, thx for replies! i've done a lot of work on dilemmas and the thing was starting to become frustrating XD And for increase the number of dilemmas during a season there is something to touch or is simply a situation like more dilemmas i've more chance i have to have a dilemma?
I think this is a dll thing. Must be a variable to increase the number of dilemmas...

I thing race Feedback is more about the condition of your own car (performance&reliability), track conditions (dry,wet,grip,temp) and the opponent cars condition (time gap between ahead and behind, malfunction) communication thing that happens in a few seconds.

I personally prefer it as a practice & quali stat rather then a race stat. But that's just my opinion.

I think this is a dll thing. Must be a variable to increase the number of dilemmas...
this will be interesting expecially in post and pre season, it's very annoying look the days go with nothing to do.. In my opinion dilemmas actually are the only thing that broke the time between a race and another.
Even silly things like small events in everyday life in a motorsport team, an average of one a week will be perfect with a good park of dilemmas! If you find the way to increase te variable that will be a great thing!

As part of my dilemma overhaul is to have many BIG dilemmas (lots of money costs and disters and occasionally really awesome things) and then lots of "Soft" Dilemmas (which don't do very much, maybe some start storylines, and have a narrative rather then just a "this really awesome but normally bad thing is happening"... maybe some are a tiny bonus for a week, or a small stat change. etc etc). I kinda want these soft dilemmas to have a green background, signifying that the dilemma is less disaterous. Then the plan is to increase dilemma frequency to occur more then 3 times a season (which I think is average) and 3 times post season (again, average).

I've been after an Dilemma writer for an age now. :) Maybe our ideas are not too disimilar that we could work together with this.

I also plan on making a whole lot of new dilemma outcomes in the dll :) (i.e., mechanic pitstop stat is allowed to be raise, but no other stats are, but I can add those all in).

Quick question in GT do you think its possible to make race length not based on laps but time?
Potentially. Time is already a mechanic for practice and qualy... how well I can separate the tiers, and separate the 'fastest lap wins vs first position wins' I do not know...

Add it to the wish list... so many features I want to get hold on first though :) really need more coders :)

Collisions are going well

1clFFcuZF.png

Okay. Experimental Branch is out: Part 3 only!

Includes:
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::: Driver Stat Overhaul :::

Breaking

Reduced the 'points towards lockups/Spins/Crash' when attacking / defending (which massively increases the chances of a lockup by default).
Decreased tyre lock up wear is lock ups occur. (Boosted original value up).
Needs testing

Corning

This is now a defending stat. I'll try to remember to change the Frontend Entry to say as much.

Smoothness

Added an additional tyre wear pernalty/perk for smoothness.
Am considering reversing this for "component condition loss rate" (have now added this is.... considering removing the tyre wear thing). I feel smoothness is now overkill.

Overtaking

Increased the Potency of both the overtake and defending stats so theyre really damned important.

Consistency

Added a random elemente to laptime, and is removed per point of consistancy.

Adaptability

Is now faster the more rain is on track

Fitness

Effects the lock up chances during the final 30% of the races.
Already increased in current version. increased its effect.
Added effect that dirvers with bad fitness are also slower during the final 30% of the race.

Feedback

Used to increase knowledge quicker.
Unchanged

Focus

Effects the lock up chances during the entire races.
Increased already in the mod, unchanged

::: Mech Stat Overhaul :::

Performance

Already the stat people look at most along with reliability

Reliability

Already the stat people look at the most along with performance.

Pitstop (speed of it)

In vanilla, this goes between 0 and 2s. (with a plus 0-4 based on pit strategy)
This has been increased to 0-3! This is also multiplied up when choosing Balanced or safe strategy so worse case scenario is (Safe = 11s, Balanced = 7s, Fast = 3s) while the best is (2s,1s,0s)... So this stat now really matters! (subject to balancing).

Concentration (risk %)

In vanilla, the pit stop strategy has a base (safe 0%, Balanced 10%, Fast 25%) + the mechanics stat here (10-0%)
This has been doubled to 20%-0% for safe, 40-0 for balanced, and 60-0 for fast (and the base % lowered to 0, 5, 10% respectively)

Speed (actually Chemistry) (driver relationship modifier)... You can tell these stats had other purposes.

Set this so that the maximum gain each race now falls between 0% and 5% based off of this stat (and race performance).
This is still under powered but there's a future feature I want to reserve this for!

In vanilla this.... I don't really know what this did.... Check your repair times with a 1 vs 10 mechanic and I don't know if you'll see any difference. The dll talks about a 5%-10% something.... but I really don't see what its referring to at all. It certainly isn't time (is it amount of repair? do they not get put to max?)
For the time being then. Modified repair time to be between x1-x2 part repair based on the stat (I'll balance it later unless I can work out what on earth it was doing originally)

::: Collision Overhaul :::

Added a random element to allow things to happen independantly.
Total Part Damage is now split between front wing, rear wing and suspension. Can also get Punctures. Can also get multiple issues.In addition, nothing might happen. You mighst still get a penalty for a collision caused, even if you don't feel any ill effects.

Obviously, as with all experimental builtds:
  • Don't expect perfect balance. Report clear errors and describe effects you're now encountering which seem incorrect
  • In the event of a crash, please report in as much detial as possible how it came about.
  • Don't feel obliged to use it. If you're in the middle of a serious game, don't ruin your save by having this (probably very) unbalanced patch cause you instability. Try it out if you like, but return to the original dll if you are unhappy with the experimental effects.
As always, I will be gone all weekend. So any issues, please report but don't expect much support or updates to the file until monday. I'm literally providing this as a toy.

Future Game Mechanic Idea

So I was going over the Car Part Component wish list, and I noticed an avenue not yet explored.

How about, there be a few components which have the following stat proposals (exagerated numbers -I haven't done the actual math):
  • -200 Performance
  • +400 Max Performance
  • +100% redzone
  • + cost
  • Risk + 3
This kind of component is completely useless for this season. But if you improve it fully, next season it will be a very good part without the risk or redzone. This part then becomes a 'begin designing next years car' element to the game. where the earlier you stop developing this years current car, the better you can get the start of next season's performance.

The AI get this automatically actually, because of Tech Decay. So All I have to do is give all the AI a slight boost, and they'll have access to this feature too (indirectly, no way they'll know what to do with this part. so I will disable them from selecting it). It might be a cool way of finally choosing 'when' to develop next years car

It opens some nice strategies. For example, a back marker team may choose to not develiop their car much at all, and instead devote the entire season to just these types of parts (I assume to do 6 that it would indeed take all season). Of course, the issue then becomes if you can keep your job long enough as you'll be falling behind in development for that entire year. It might prove to be an interesting mechanic...

Edit: To prove to Bey I am not mean, I'll give him the special version of the mod which only lets him have 1 worker in his factory.... See! I am giving him a hand crafted, dedicated version! I am so nice!.

Last edited:
Hello Red,
I've notice something weird in HQ buildings.
The Theme Park requires: Staff Building (lvl 4); Factory (lvl4); Design Center (lvl 4)
But my Staff building is maxed at lvl 3.
All my buildings (Staff, Factory, Design Center) are maxed out, but I could'nt build the Theme Park cause it requires Staff Building lvl 4.
I've attached some photos.
I use your mod and ICE mod.

Thank you for your work, it's awesome! :)
I will test the new stats you were talking above when it be done.

Attachments

• Staff Maxed Out.jpg
    Staff Maxed Out.jpg
    520.2 KB · Views: 164
  • theme park.jpg
    theme park.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 166
For those wanting to be even more (experi)mental, here's a sponsors file from a fancy randomizer I'm working on.

Features:
-All slots can be either "per race" or "bonus type", and it's up to you to choose what you want.
-All vanilla sponsors are replicated over all the slots, so that you have now 63 choises for each slot.
-Sponsor's base details stay the same for each slot they are sponsoring.
-Fully randomized financial values, that are balanced to roughly match the vanilla values - i.e. also not only perfectly compatible, but especially meant for this mod.
-Some "per race" sponsors included that give you a lump sum all upfront - however, upfront values are always lower than the equivalent per race sum.
-Most visible spots (1-3) are more valuable and give you more money than the lesser spots (4-6).

Good-to-know-before-suspecting-bugs:

-All teams start without sponsors.
-At the moment, all sponsors have a minimum of 1 week start delay. This is on purpose for now, for reasons that might become clearer in future.

For those interested in statistics, here's a comparison between the main values and vanilla equivalent:
MatlabOwn-Vanilla_DealValue.png MatlabOwn-Vanilla_PerRace.pngMatlabOwn-Vanilla_Bonus.png MatlabOwn-Vanilla_Upfront.png

Attachments

• Sponsors.txt
    40.9 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
Hello Red,
I've notice something weird in HQ buildings.
The Theme Park requires: Staff Building (lvl 4); Factory (lvl4); Design Center (lvl 4)
But my Staff building is maxed at lvl 3.
All my buildings (Staff, Factory, Design Center) are maxed out, but I could'nt build the Theme Park cause it requires Staff Building lvl 4.

I noticed the same thing earlier and I believe this was fixed for 1.31d - did you start your game with an earlier version?

Edit: To prove to Bey I am not mean, I'll give him the special version of the mod which only lets him have 1 worker in his factory.... See! I am giving him a hand crafted, dedicated version! I am so nice!.

You shouldn't. That's so nice of you.:laugh:

But I really like the Future Game Mechanic Idea. It's the same strategic approach that I use. 90% of all the time, I design & build parts for the next season. The other 10% of times I design & build parts out of necessity (Season start reliability to low-redzone to high, designed&build part has no Risk factor and can quickly be max out in performance&reliability).

So I would love to see those parts. Even with my one worker:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play