Vanilla Balance Mod Beta - Testers Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
This mod has now been released. All the changes are listed in the above link. If a Forum Admin is reading this, if you could remove the "Testers Wanted" and change it to "Development Discussion" thread, it would be appreciated.

UPDATED TO WORK WITH 1.3

Note: In attempts to fix the interviews and dilemmas, I have temporarily removed all non English languages from those two files. I hope to reinsert them into a later version (but when I do, they'll still be the vanilla text as I am unable to translate in any other language).

Last edited:
I think they made the patch exactly for you where you needed to make new features. (Fan Base) :laugh:

Actually, I sent Mr West some of my finding on the errors of the game in the dll... a couple of these fixes are copies of things I sent him... near word for word...

So I expect fanbase is still broken... as I wasn't able to fully fix it. And their change is identical to mine... I also don't think the interviews are fixed as they've not incorporated that change.

Honestly I want this mod mostly for the 8 political votes a season rather than 4 as that's my favourite part of the game and I want more of it.

I was wondering if there was a way I could pick and chose elements of this mod to put into my game as I already enjoy the game and am skeptical over whether I need to actually change anything much to enjoy it more? I also wondered if I can simply uninstall this mod and return to playing the game as it is, if I were to not enjoy the mod?

Sorry, I'm very much a noob at this sort of stuff.

I was also tempted to install the 2016 mod but may now wait for equivalents to be put into the steam workshop to download for myself, as it seems easier? I know that's unrelated but just reinforcing my level of knowledge on this for you haha!

You could use the dll only, and swap out for the original as soon as you start.., you'd be stuck with the 8 votes and the 1 scout slot and maybe a few mother remnants of the mod, but you'd have a much more vanilla experience, I can't remember if the vote change is live (meaning you'd need to install it again at the end of the season before the next begins) or not (you only have to install it at the start of the game).

Saying that, nothing is going to work until I make the update for 1.23... and you're looking at about a week (my mod is now so much bigger then it used to be - I can't do all the changes so quickly - and and I've only just started sorting out the frontend.txt)

Last edited:
I could do with a couple of testers to play though the Vanilla game for me over the next couple of games... I want to know if
  • The fanbase is actually fixed (I assume it isn't)
  • Have the interviews been fixed (I assume they haven't).
  • Are there any other bugs which look easily fixable OR which are so bad that we should expect a hot fix very soon from the devs?
  • How goo is the AI pitting strategy now (they apparently repair parts more during their stops instead of making extra stops for it).

I am not at my PC so can't test until I get back, but I saw this on Steam
121C4C7363ACD202471C32C7936B34D33DEBB440

I am not at my PC so can't test until I get back, but I saw this on Steam
121C4C7363ACD202471C32C7936B34D33DEBB440
I saw that too... is it an isolated incident? is it a consistant problem in wet races? as there safety cars (I assume there was one as a 9/6 lap then 14 lap stint on wets would suggest - but what there others?).

If its a big problem, then the devs will have to fix that one unless I see an easy fix.In which case I may well wait for a hotfix patch.

There is a very high possibility that they will release hotfix. This doesn't look like a safety car issue. Look at El Sadat and Gerard in the middle section of the race. There was a problem like this in the previous update too.

There is a very high possibility that they will release hotfix. This doesn't look like a safety car issue. Look at El Sadat and Gerard in the middle section of the race. There was a problem like this in the previous update too.

I have a huge job on editing the frontend.txt anyway to reflect all my changes. I expect it's going to take 7 days to get the mod in a releasable state in all honesty - so yeah, report on the things you all find and hold on to your save games. You'll be able to continue them when I am done :D

If there is a hotfix in the works then obviously I'll delay until we see that.

Just to be clear - this will continue to be a RaceDepartment Overhaul mod. It's too complex of a mod to be put on the steam workshop. My asset file includes texts not compatable with the workshop. My Assembly file was never a realistic possibility to be compatable with the workshop.

Last edited:
After seeing a preview of the new MM patch, I think I'll hold off on the update until a working hotfix is released, hopefully the sooner the better.

Looking at the bug reports, I think I will just continue working on the Frontend.txt and do a proper release for a working hotfix. The current patch seems to have a few big errors in it, which seems to be a staple of every patch...

I am surprised they don't run a opt in beta patch, asking us to report errors before releasing a final version to all. We'd mostly opt in, find the bugs and report, and then revert back till the next one fixed things.

I could do with a couple of testers to play though the Vanilla game for me over the next couple of games... I want to know if
  • The fanbase is actually fixed (I assume it isn't)
  • Have the interviews been fixed (I assume they haven't).
  • Are there any other bugs which look easily fixable OR which are so bad that we should expect a hot fix very soon from the devs?
  • How goo is the AI pitting strategy now (they apparently repair parts more during their stops instead of making extra stops for it).
Hey, I've played a little with the new patch and I'm pretty sure the fan base hasn't been fixed. Mine dropped by 0.1 million after a double one-two finish while my best car was expected to finish 13th (I'd forgotten just how easy vanilla is :D).

I've only done two races and had no interview yet. I doubt they've included your fix though, because they didn't mention it in the patch notes. I do hope they include it soon. All my interviews have been great since your last update.

Thankfully I haven't encountered any of the really bad bugs some people have had. So far I've only seen one retired car that kept on running. Hadn't experienced that since you incorporated Hudson's fix into your mod. I guess the dev's own fix just isn't as good somehow.

The one thing the devs did get right are the part fixes. Those two races I ran were at the start of a new season so there was plenty to be fixed and I noticed lots of long stops. The post race log showed that most of the fixes happened during regular stops and those that didn't only occurred in the final few laps.

Hey, I've played a little with the new patch and I'm pretty sure the fan base hasn't been fixed. Mine dropped by 0.1 million after a double one-two finish while my best car was expected to finish 13th (I'd forgotten just how easy vanilla is :D).

I've only done two races and had no interview yet. I doubt they've included your fix though, because they didn't mention it in the patch notes. I do hope they include it soon. All my interviews have been great since your last update.

Thankfully I haven't encountered any of the really bad bugs some people have had. So far I've only seen one retired car that kept on running. Hadn't experienced that since you incorporated Hudson's fix into your mod. I guess the dev's own fix just isn't as good somehow.

The one thing the devs did get right are the part fixes. Those two races I ran were at the start of a new season so there was plenty to be fixed and I noticed lots of long stops. The post race log showed that most of the fixes happened during regular stops and those that didn't only occurred in the final few laps.

I'm really happy that the pitstop strategy from the AI has improved.

And the interview and the fanbase things where expected really. I'm going to rebuild fanbase from scratch so it will work,

You've only had two races, so as you play a bit more you may find them doing lots of pit stops in intermediate or wet conditions.

They've implemented the Hudson fix word for word - so that's not the issue. What I did was set the chance of retiring when you have an engine failure from 50% to 90%. That is likely why you see distressed cars carrying in (as their chance to do a 0% repair was 10% in my mod to 50% in vanilla)

But that's for the update, let me know how vanilla is playing.

With your mod, how important is the Lead Designer compared to the Vanilla version (not referring to the bugged latest patch) and what should I look for when trying to recruit a good Lead Designer?

Instead of the base stats just offering their base amount to a component (0-20)... it's now just 3x that amount (0-60) - so it's quite a bit more important...

Obviously, the most aggressive approach is to have a designer with 20 in everything - while realistic for maybe Steinman team, less so for most others.

Obviously, if you have 1-2 spec parts... that it matters not what the designer stats are in those areas at all for now, unless the rules change.

If you already have a great gearbox but are not so good in other areas... or just decide "the Front wing is a weak part of mine, and most tracks need a good front wing" - then maybe you should prioritise a high stat for that area and have the others more average.

If you don't have access to the high performance HQ buildings - then a designer who knows traits for Great/Epic/Legendary (particulary -x risk) are great finds as you can upgrade a part higher then you normally could (i.e., unlock 5 slots once an epic part is built) and then have a part which utilises 5 +Performance / +MaxPerformance slots, for massive development which is above what your HQ normally lets you do.

There's lots of strategies to go for now, and that is pretty much the goal of the mod. :D

Okay thanks for that. One other thing, Designing new parts - the base stat of the red zone for let's say the engine starts at 20% (what was the starting % for the vanilla?) and then if I were to design a average engine that would now become red zone 30% and if I were to then design a good engine it now becomes red zone 40% and so on? Please correct me if I am wrong and would these red zones carry over to the new season?

Okay thanks for that. One other thing, Designing new parts - the base stat of the red zone for let's say the engine starts at 20% (what was the starting % for the vanilla?) and then if I were to design a average engine that would now become red zone 30% and if I were to then design a good engine it now becomes red zone 40% and so on? Please correct me if I am wrong and would these red zones carry over to the new season?

In vanilla the starting Redzone is 20%.

In my mod it is 30% - 4% Per Star in the Chassis Tyre Wear. This leads to Redzone for the season starting with 30% (0 Star Chassis) to 10% (30% - 20% for the 5 star chassis).

Each component Slot on upgrading a part now adds 10% redzone under certain conditions...

Added a default +10 Redzone area to all design 'slots' of a part (excluding the Desgner only slots, Exluding Risky Parts. This added redzone is NOT mentioned on the slot themselves but are defiantly included on the display on the RHS). This is only added to parts that do NOT specify any Redzone change or reliability change as part of their original form. This means, the more you develop a part in a season, the larger the redzone will be, and thus, the more variance of unreliability it will have. Teams that do not produce many upgrades will have better reliability as their redzone will be at the standard 20% - but will not be advancing their technology. Teams pushing the development of their new parts will be making technological progress in the long term, but will suffer from higher reliability problems during the current season.

Redzone does not carry over from season to season.

Edit: This should now be clearer in the next update... I can add my +Redzone change to the description to all relevant upgrade slots now.

Last edited:

Red Zone resets to a value based on your chassis choices in the next season, so you can make a 70% red Zone part which will become 20%-40% after pre-season.

Red Zone is added on parts that are pure performance and not risky. Reliability parts are free from Red Zone increase. The only exception to the rule is the +10 performance/+10% reliability parts.

We posted at the same time xD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 141 86.0%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 27 16.5%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 25 15.2%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 20 12.2%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 50 30.5%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 58 35.4%