USF 2000 Released for rFactor 2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rFactor 2 USF 2000 4.png

Studio 397 have released their first new content since taking over the development reigns with rFactor 2, today releasing the USF2000 open wheeler complete with all the teams and drivers from the 2016 season.

Built and tested in conjunction with a number of real world teams and drivers from across the pond, the USF2000 has already been hailed as one of the best pieces of first party content to be released for the sim. With 2016 marking the end of the current USF2000 regulations, Studio 397 have already confirmed they have secured the rights to develop the new for 2017 car, due to be released at some stage during 2017.

The USF200 is powered by a 170hp Mazda MZE 2 litre 4 cylinder DOHC engine, capable of reaching up to 150 mph and mated to the Van Diemen/Elan DP08 chassis. Added to rFactor 2 in two classes: the Championship class with a 5 speed sequential gearbox, and the slightly lower tier National class, with two transmission choices – the 5 speed (same as in the Championship class, but with a 50 lb weight penalty) and an older, 4 speed H-shifter variant available with three different final ratios.

Similar in laptime to the European Formula Three series, the Cooper Tyres USF2000 championship is an early rung up the ladder for American based drivers looking to make an impression in the road to the IndyCar series. Studio 397 described the new vehicle as "an excellent entry-level low-downforce car. It’s grippy, yet nimble. While it can be tail happy at times, it remains catchable and is always rewarding to throw around. We’ve enjoyed some very close, smile-on-your-face, wheel-to-wheel racing testing out the limits of the USF2000. Daring overtakes and massive trail braking really show off it’s capabilities".

rFactor 2 USF 2000 2.png

rFactor 2 is a PC only racing simulation developed by Image Space Incorporated and latterly Studio 397. The game is available to purchase now on the Steam Network.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to take part in some of the best League and Club Racing events on the internet. Interact with our vibrant rFactor community in our dedicated rFactor 2 sub forum, download mods for the game or share a setup or two for your favourite cars.

rFactor 2 USF 2000 3.png rFactor 2 USF 2000.png

Have you tried the USF2000 yet? What do you think of the new content? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I just did a 1:39.9 at Portugal in practice. 1 AI car was 1 second quicker, and the rest (10 others) were over 1 second slower, so I think "inconsistency" is a fair way to describe it.

That's normal--there should be a spread (although maybe with not so much of an outlier). What I am asking is are you also 1 second behind the leader at other ISI tracks? My experience is that the inconsistency is from track to track, not the spread among the AI. But it could be just because I suck at some tracks.

If others are able to always match the top AI, or always come 1 second behind the top AI, then it's my inconsistency that's the problem. If we all have the experience, for example, that the AI at Lime Rock is much tougher to beat or match than the AI at Portugal, then it must be the AI programming...

The interesting thing is to try to figure out what part of the equation is the car versus what part is the track AIW. I just thought it would be interesting to compare notes on this new car since it is such a pleasure to throw around the track--any track.

That's normal--there should be a spread (although maybe with not so much of an outlier). What I am asking is are you also 1 second behind the leader at other ISI tracks? My experience is that the inconsistency is from track to track, not the spread among the AI. But it could be just because I suck at some tracks.

If others are able to always match the top AI, or always come 1 second behind the top AI, then it's my inconsistency that's the problem. If we all have the experience, for example, that the AI at Lime Rock is much tougher to beat or match than the AI at Portugal, then it must be the AI programming...

The interesting thing is to try to figure out what part of the equation is the car versus what part is the track AIW. I just thought it would be interesting to compare notes on this new car since it is such a pleasure to throw around the track--any track.
Initially, you just asked what people's lap times were...I gave you one and added some extra info regarding the AI. I was also wrong as I was only @ 95% AI with 100% damage, so the AI will be much quicker than the 1.39 I posted at 100% difficulty.

Just ran a race @ Loch Drummond with same settings and finished mid-pack. I seem to be on or near their pace with them at 95% difficutly. Though, they do like to run wide at one corner frequently losing several tenths.

Talent files are by design to cause inconsistency in the AI and is largely determined by the designer in how they wanted the AI to behave but i discovered if not done properly it can affect the AI in not a good way!

Also, many problems with the AI are the cause of the track's AIW and/or the car mod's AI physics settings. How talented your AI race at your favorite track is largely determined by the specific car mod used to make the AIW (fast line) and also the driver's talent who made the fast line is very important.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back