AMS2 Ultima vs GT3 @ Barcelona, Thursday 22nd June

Automobilista 2 Racing Club event
Results are up chaps! https://simresults.net/230622-t0G

I'm not planning on looking at the replay unless someone specifically asks me to do so in PM, but I could tell from the chat that there seemed to be a bit of 'over exuberance' in the first race. I'm confident no-one of this group wants to gain by punting off the other guy, but just forewarning that I'm turning the damage back on for the next race as I am planning on running this mix for a few weeks, so try and keep that in mind if you join us next week. I'll give a gentle reminder at the start anyway :D

Results are up chaps! https://simresults.net/230622-t0G

I'm not planning on looking at the replay unless someone specifically asks me to do so in PM, but I could tell from the chat that there seemed to be a bit of 'over exuberance' in the first race. I'm confident no-one of this group wants to gain by punting off the other guy, but just forewarning that I'm turning the damage back on for the next race as I am planning on running this mix for a few weeks, so try and keep that in mind if you join us next week. I'll give a gentle reminder at the start anyway :D
What is the added value of damage if someone runs me off the track. We will end up with people quitting to the pits or worse, leaving the server. I trust each of you that we don't intentionally hit each other, but it's racing. And close racing can only be learned by racing close. I heard I also went on the track in an unsafe way, I gave my place to Daniel and we continue to race. That is exactly what I expecting from all of us (and in general that is the case).

Sorry just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the race guys! Apologies to @PurgerUK for the proper dive bomb in R1. Wanted to let you past before the line but messed up the last lap anyway so that solved itself :roflmao:
Switching to the Porsche for R2 without having tried it wasn't the best idea. Pace was good but tires overheated wildly even though I had reduced pressures quite a bit. Do brake ducts have an influence on tire temps here (like ACC)?
Also spun in T12 in both races, not sure what happened, maybe downshift lockup but it felt really weird.

Your car looked really unstable and wasn't that much faster. Did you disable TC/ABS? I definitely felt like I could just wait it out for you to go off-track eventually!
No. I think it was a tire issue, at least in R2. First time I really drove AMS 2 so the feeling for the limit is also not there yet.
Also after the first spin tires never cooled down even a bit. Not sure if that is how it should be or a setup issue. More used to rF2 where they overheat badly but will cool down, with massive flat spots though.

Last edited:
but tires overheated wildly even though I had reduced pressures quite a bit.
ok, I need to go back and review my understanding of this. I honestly thought that reducing pressures made the tyres heat up faster due to the increased flex

Do brake ducts have an influence on tire temps here (like ACC)?
From the testing I did on the SuperV8, I'd say yes. I was mucking around with MoTeC and there was a noticeable affect on the tyre temps when the brakes got hot in the traces

Switching to the Porsche for R2 without having tried it wasn't the best idea.
Well, I also did a switch but to the Nissan and boy did it feel like a brick compared to the Ultima! Trying to figure the car out in the midst of the race tends to be slightly more entertaining for those around you :D

Also after the first spin tires never cooled down even a bit. Not sure if that is how it should be or a setup issue.
Hmmm... that doesn't sound right. I'll try the Porsche out later (I need to work out fuel and tyre wear for the next race anyway) and see if I can spot what might be going on. Can you remember how low you reduced the pressures?

Hey chaps, I ended up looking at the replay for race one in the end as I wanted to get a feel for if we should be putting damage back on. I have to say, it was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. There was a bit of squeezing going on into T1 which badly affected one persons race, but other than that, most of the incidents in the first lap were self inflicted, with three counts of people losing the back end and sometimes those nearby getting tangled up in the aftermath. There was also a fair bit of 'qualy' braking going on.

I think we just need a reminder to tone down the 'racing' on the first lap. Especially no squeezing on the first lap, brake a bit earlier and go easy on the throttle.

I know it's tricky going straight from qualy, but we usually give a generous amount of time for qualy, so maybe try and spend the last lap or two with race setup? (I do this btw) We could also try rolling starts? With the ability to restart the race I think we can safely give this a go and let everyone get familiar with it.

Also, I realise now that I didn't do the 'reminder' at the start of either race yesterday. I'll try and remember to do that in future.

I'm still in two minds about damage, especially when the plan is to run a 60 minute race next week. I'm probably going to keep it off for next week and see how it goes.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.