AMS2 Ultima vs GT3 @ Barcelona, Thursday 22nd June

Automobilista 2 Racing Club event

GeekyDeaks

Staff
Premium
rd-race-2-jpg.603348

This Thursday we are at the newly released Circuit de Catalunya (sans chicane) to see how the GT3 and GT Open class fare against each other. The GTO Ginetta is the firm favourite if you are 'in it to win it', but the Ultima is a big bag of fun for those with the patience to tame it and for those that just want to 'race without any drama', the rest of the GT3 should suffice.

Whether you are a rookie racer or a seasoned veteran our casual club races are for everyone and every skill level. We combine fun events with discord chatter and a warm welcome to all our premium members.

Server Name: RaceDepartment.com #2 - Thursday GTO vs GT3
Server Password: PM will be sent on sign up
Server Settings: X1 fuel, X1 tyre wear
Assists: Factory Defaults
Track: Circuit DE Catalunya GP NC
Class: GT Open / GT3

Discord: Join us on the #Automobilista-2 voice chat during the event. Join our Discord here and check out the #read-this-first how to setup and syncronize your premium account.

Time Table

DurationUTCBSTCESTEDT
Practice* / Qualifying25 mins19:0020:0021:0015:00
Race 125 mins19:3020:3021:3015:30
Qualifying / Break5 mins19:5520:5521:5515:55
Race 225 mins20:0021:0022:0016:00

* Please note that the first session is officially qualifying, but some may initially need it for practice, so please be mindful of slower cars.

Rules: Read or watch our racing club rules

Entry List

1. GeekyDeaks
  2. CK1249*
  3. Munkyboo
  4. grooc
  5. Bas Kriesels
  6. Redvaliant
  7. Michael Rudolf
  8. The Almighty Snark
  9. Eric S
  10. Reefabus
  11. Free Spot
  12. Free Spot
  13. Free Spot
  14. Free Spot
  15. Free Spot
  16. Free Spot
  17. Free Spot
  18. Free Spot
  19. Free Spot
  20. Free Spot

Last edited:
Hi Scott, my wife is on a business trip that day. If she is back home in time, I am in. Cheers, Chris (Also severe thunderstorms are possible that day in my area, that's another scenario where I would bail).

Hi Scott, my wife is on a business trip that day. If she is back home in time, I am in. Cheers, Chris (Also severe thunderstorms are possible that day in my area, that's another scenario where I would bail).
I have put you down as a maybe Chris! Weather is forecast similar over here....

Thanks Scott! Could you send me the password, would like to check if everything is working, have barely ever used AMS2
Ah! I recognised the name and it didn't click that it was from rF2! I have PM'd you the password.

Like most of the sims, AMS2 has it's own set of quirks. Off the top of my head there are two that you will encounter on this event:
  • you cannot join the race if you are not in the session by the end of qualy. There doesn't seem to be a consensus on exactly when you need to join. I suspect it's once the timer to allow people to complete their final laps starts, but the general recommendation is to get on 2 minutes before the end of qualy.
  • We don't run the MP with the rating turned on as it seems to cause all sorts of odd problems, so don't think you have done something wrong if your safety rating doesn't budge.
If you have any problems with setup of the sim, give us a shout. I have got to the point where I don't really think about my workarounds any more, so I just need gentle reminder of what it was like starting out! :D

If you don't have the DLC for the track, let me know. I can start up my PC and join the session which will allow you to also join and check everything works.

Oh, there is no mechanism to share setups like in rF2. I tend to run default most of the time anyway (we are a pretty casual bunch), but I raced the Ultima last week and found dropping the number of clutches in the diff helped keep the rear a little less snappy. No idea about the GT3 nor the Ginetta though as I have barely used them.

Last edited:
recruitment spam incoming!

Anyone fancy a go in these? The Ultima is a lot of fun, but if you want something a little more predictable, the rest of the field has all the essential gizmos and we are interested to see if the GT3 is as close to the GTO class as we suspect.

@ABOE UK, @aredM, @Bhutch88, @Bjorn de Haas, @Brett Horton, @Daniel R., @Des Bain, @Eric S, @Ernebro, @Fiberoptix, @Frobs, @groy1980, @G-Slev, @Guido Trampe, @Jan Larsen, @Jimlaad43, @jimortality, @joeymac, @Jochen Lenaerts, @Kees Veenstra, @Lizard77, @Lloyd Johnston, @Lracer, @max1966i, @PurgerUK, @Raf Nix, @Reefabus, @Reiche, @some_race_driver, @Stefan Hiller, @T1MKO, @The Almighty Snark

Ah! I recognised the name and it didn't click that it was from rF2! I have PM'd you the password.

Like most of the sims, AMS2 has it's own set of quirks. Off the top of my head there are two that you will encounter on this event:
  • you cannot join the race if you are not in the session by the end of qualy. There doesn't seem to be a consensus on exactly when you need to join. I suspect it's once the timer to allow people to complete their final laps starts, but the general recommendation is to get on 2 minutes before the end of qualy.
  • We don't run the MP with the rating turned on as it seems to cause all sorts of odd problems, so don't think you have done something wrong if your safety rating doesn't budge.
If you have any problems with setup of the sim, give us a shout. I have got to the point where I don't really think about my workarounds any more, so I just need gentle reminder of what it was like starting out! :D

If you don't have the DLC for the track, let me know. I can start up my PC and join the session which will allow you to also join and check everything works.

Oh, there is no mechanism to share setups like in rF2. I tend to run default most of the time anyway (we are a pretty casual bunch), but I raced the Ultima last week and found dropping the number of clutches in the diff helped keep the rear a little less snappy. No idea about the GT3 nor the Ginetta though as I have barely used them.
Thanks a lot! I was curious and tried the Ginetta yesterday, felt pretty good to me. Was just wondering how tire pressures work here. Anything I should aim for? Probably not the rF2 "lowest is best" thing I guess.
Oh and if anyone has a good Simhub leaderboard recommendation that would be awesome. The rest of my overlays seem to work fine with AMS2 as well but the leaderboard doesn't.

Thanks a lot! I was curious and tried the Ginetta yesterday, felt pretty good to me. Was just wondering how tire pressures work here. Anything I should aim for? Probably not the rF2 "lowest is best" thing I guess.
I had forgotten about that trick in rF2. I don't normally change this from default unless I have heating problem and can see it's wildly varying in the IMO display. The last time I did this was with the SuperV8 a few months back. @Redvaliant is more au-fait with setup than me though and might be able to offer some advice.

Oh and if anyone has a good Simhub leaderboard recommendation that would be awesome. The rest of my overlays seem to work fine with AMS2 as well but the leaderboard doesn't.
Unfortunately, I race in VR and try to keep the HUD to an absolute minimum so I cannot help there.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.