Twin Sims... The Build

• Deleted member 197115

RE: Microcenter in Madison Heights, MI--the only sim racing seat available to sit in is the adjustable TK Racing seat mounted to the demo rig.
For trying out seats some local aftermarket performance car parts store is probably the best bet.
Can also grab a nitros while there, although amateurs don't use one. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
You might have noticed I've had a build thread going for 5 years and it has gone through many permutations. It's a LOT to go through, but you might be able to skim through it looking for ideas. There is at least a reasonably up to date link to an index on the first page.

Yes... A LOT to go through I have been a bit at a time thanks to the index. Thanks

RE: Microcenter in Madison Heights, MI--the only sim racing seat available to sit in is the adjustable TK Racing seat mounted to the demo rig.

This whole seat thing is a pain in the butt... LOL I think I am going to talk to a friend tomorrow that is sort of a "car guy" about the possibilities. Starting to think the actual car seat might be a good option to start.

When going the car seat direction be aware of.

AIRBAGS!

car seats often have asymmetrical consoles which require extra fabrication effort.

To the best off my knowledge the following seat have symmetrical consoles:
BMW E39 and E46 from the early 2000s, also no airbags in the seats.
Vintage now, but passenger seats in good condition should be available.
Take the sport edition with bolstering, the BMW base seats can be a bit flimsy.

Mazda Miata, don´t know which MY they got airbags.

Lotus Elise (probably impractical because sparce and expensive.

Check for rattles and play and of course crash damage.

When going the car seat direction be aware of.

AIRBAGS!

Yep, warned above.

car seats often have asymmetrical consoles which require extra fabrication effort.

Crap... Another variable. Thanks for the heads up.

I am beginning to think the seats of this build may be one of the pieces that I just have to assume I will get wrong the first time. Doing as much reading as I am right now, I understand the limitations a reclining seat will included (flex, and so forth) and since I can't truly predict the future of exactly how I will use this... It is what it is...

With two in the build, regardless of what I start with, I will probably only order one seat to start, so if it is a horrible mistake, it won't be a mistake x 2... LOL.

This morning, I am just over 2 hours into reading RCHeliguy's thread from the start.... Wow... my brain hurts... LOL.. I was jumping into parts separately before but figured starting from the beginning might be a good idea as his goal of a Sim/Flight sim combo is what my plan is as well. (With the importance of an easy and smooth transition between the two for one of my rigs.)

As a total NOOB... it is slow reading... LOL

Some goes way beyond yet there are parts I see coming.

And then there is computer components that just jump out and I wonder how I didn't know that... Quite an experience.

How in the world can a USB hub attach to 10+ items then only connect to the computer with just one USB wire??? Please don't answer that. It just caught me off guard... and making a little fun of my ignorance... LOL

Must focus. Move forward... LOL

If you want to jump ahead to see where my sim to flight conversion is now you can watch this. Technically my rig has changed a some from this video as well.

And I've been using that 10 port USB hub for a while now and it has been very reliable.

Last edited:
If you want to jump ahead to see where my sim to flight conversion is now you can watch this. Technically my rig has changed a some from this video as well.

Come a long way since page 22 of 177 that I am on now.... Extremely impressive.

Possibly warming up to a non-reclining seat as long as it is on a lengthy slider. Been looking up the seats but not yet the slider mechanisms.

Identical or Fraternal Twins??

Quick thought before heading off to work.

Focus one sim on my size which would be the one that is upgraded to flight sim at some point. I am 6 foot with normal build so even if I am not one of the participants, chances are someone is near 6 foot.

The other to have the more adjustable seat.

I would keep the pedals adjustable forward and back in case I get a few 5'4" ladies in the rigs at once but they could live with a less adjustable seat and wheel. My youngest daughter is 5'4" and likely to be the second most frequent "flyer"... ok Racer. LOL If she has a friend over, I can shorten up the pedal distance on my primary.

So, again on the space... Looking to have these two side by side facing the wall with the TV. Couch and treadmill will be gone. Wondering how wide an average triple 32 rig is. Also wondering placement of PC towers and any additional equipment. I can extend beyond the 5 foot wall toward the game table. just wondering how much...
b3dim.jpg

b2dim.jpg

Don't want to have to crawl in the corner over equipment to power stuff on.

I probably could mount a rack against the wall in front of where the treadmill is for easier access.

Also considering the PC to be just off the right side of each rig about knee level when sitting in it so it could be powered on from the seat. (Start your engines.... lol) Attached to rig should be ok if no motion. If I continue on with motion, could be free standing rack.

For my triple 32" with the side monitors at an angle of 52 degrees, the width comes down to around 150cm, length is between 150-160cm (P1-X with sim-lab triple stand)

To be able to fit two triple setups next to each other in that space, you'll need to angle the monitors to 60 degrees or so. Gonna be a close call. On the positive side the door opens to the correct side.

Of course one thing leads to another; make sure you can reach behind the pedals/monitors for maintenance. Probably also wise to look at the speaker setup again, I think they will be too close to each other. I say 'think' because that's more humble ;-)

Last edited:
You could back to back the rigs, or maybe diagonally back to back (with one rig into the corner and the other rig 180 degrees, but parallel to the other)

And regards crawling into corner to power on… smart plugs are your friend here… “Alexa rigs on” then does the trick :)

Last edited:
the width comes down to around 150cm, length is between 150-160cm
Excellent. Thanks. Long ago, thought the space would be more than enough, but then triple monitors came into the picture, and now... not so much room after all.

Probably also wise to look at the speaker setup again, I think they will be too close to each other.

Yup. Definitely going to have sound overlap here with anything other than headphones but I refuse to go that route. VR and/or headphones are a deal breaker for me.

You could back to back the rigs, or maybe diagonally back to back (with one rig into the corner and the other rig 180 degrees, but parallel to the other)

Hmmmm.. That is a possibility... Good thought! That could also make access to the pedal side of one of the rigs much more accessible to swap out racing/flight pedals in the future.

Time to go stare at the room some more....

This brings back memories of putting my theatre together. I would sit in the unfinished room for more time that I would like to admit in a folding chair staring at the wall with a white sheet on it to approximate the screen size to try to figure out the overall design... LOL

Yea, no OCD here... LOL

Time to go stare at the room some more....

This brings back memories of putting my theatre together. I would sit in the unfinished room for more time that I would like to admit in a folding chair staring at the wall with a white sheet on it to approximate the screen size to try to figure out the overall design... LOL

Yea, no OCD here... LOL

Been there, done that, it comes down to the “measure twice, cut once” mentality I believe… planning is everything here, as fully built rigs are very heavy and difficult to move (unless on wheels obviously)

More room photos. Door closest to treadmill is spare bedroom/workout room. Door to right is utility room where there is a full sized fridge.

r1.jpg

r2.jpg

And this little gem is going to cause me some additional space issues. I planned this to be a small bar when I finished the basement... but then never finished. Just a small L-shaped bar for the very basics. Due to some other stuff going on in my life, I have been cleaning/clearing out a lot and trying to finish off projects. Was looking at cabinetry just a few weeks ago.

r4arrows.jpg

As it currently sits, this looks like a significant squeeze issue between the back of the sim and this corner.

If I eliminate the L, it will open this up and eliminate the squeeze. I already have a bar counter in the back of my theater so really don't need much here. I would just have to replace the Drycore that I installed many moons ago with regular flooring....
r5mod.jpg

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 52 27.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 33 17.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 36 19.1%
  • Trophies

Votes: 21 11.2%
  • Forum trophies