Track Map Display (Extended)

Apps Track Map Display (Extended) 4.7.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
I've installed the app via CM but only MapDisplay Legend appears in-game; MapDisplay doesn't. I'm running a supported CSP and python apps are enabled
Hi MaxFrames,

is MapDisplay also additionally activated in the settings?
1682892640347.png

If so, keep in mind that in game the apps are currently in 2 separate sections. The actual map should be above the legends, without the red icon background, when using the new App Layout which is per default activated with CSP.

If you can still not see it, maybe check the py_log as described in the F.A.Q. If you find anything related to map_display or MapDisplay, there might be a specific bug still in that version (but after quite a long time since the last bigger release, I'd doubt that there is currently an app breaking bug in it).

Hi MaxFrames,

is MapDisplay also additionally activated in the settings?
View attachment 659800
If so, keep in mind that in game the apps are currently in 2 separate sections. The actual map should be above the legends, without the red icon background, when using the new App Layout which is per default activated with CSP.

If you can still not see it, maybe check the py_log as described in the F.A.Q. If you find anything related to map_display or MapDisplay, there might be a specific bug still in that version (but after quite a long time since the last bigger release, I'd doubt that there is currently an app breaking bug in it).
I found that the py app was missing several files (as compared to the ones in the zip archive) when installed via CM. Installed it manually and all is fine. I had nothing but headaches installing anything that is not a car mod or a track mod via CM, from now on I'll never trust it again and do everything by hand!

Hi, dumb question. I use your app and the substanding app for my sim racing. Somehow your app gets the cars and classes correct that I need, but SubStanding doesn't, any clue why this might be? Or did I simply luck out?

Hi, dumb question. I use your app and the substanding app for my sim racing. Somehow your app gets the cars and classes correct that I need, but SubStanding doesn't, any clue why this might be? Or did I simply luck out?
Hi @JohnDanR18,
so far the only reason I could think of would be using the text colors. So e.g. codes like ff0000:ffffff in MapDisplay. That's not supported by SubStanding. You'd have to remove all the ":ffffff" parts.

Could you maybe send the configs of both? (meaning classtags and classtagcolors for both apps)

(Short heads up: the next MapDisplay version, to be released in the next few weeks, will feature a much easier in game configuration and export of configuration strings for SubStanding (since SubStanding (Extended) will not receive that Lua update.)

Last edited:
Does this app support teleporting? If not, what other app do you suggest that can complement this one?
It doesn't for now. I think for actual teleportation in online freeroam "comfy map" is currently the best app.
I'll have a look to see if I can include that in 4.0. Not sure how much effort that is. Seems to only work on custom servers that explicitly define onlineExtras.

Edit: will be in 4.0, only for online servers though. No local teleport information and no features to create points like comfy map has. Pure teleportation.

Last edited:
Hi @JohnDanR18,
so far the only reason I could think of would be using the text colors. So e.g. codes like ff0000:ffffff in MapDisplay. That's not supported by SubStanding. You'd have to remove all the ":ffffff" parts.

Could you maybe send the configs of both? (meaning classtags and classtagcolors for both apps)

(Short heads up: the next MapDisplay version, to be released in the next few weeks, will feature a much easier in game configuration and export of configuration strings for SubStanding (since SubStanding (Extended) will not receive that Lua update.)
Will that be the here? If so
Substanding class (i did fill out the class configuration sheet)
classes: LMDh,LMH,LMP1,LMP2,LMP3,DPi,DP,PC,GT500,SRO GT2,GTE-Pro,GTLM,GTE-Am,GT3,GT4,TCR,Indycar,Indy Lights,F1,F2,F3,F4
Colors: 006eff,fff700,ff0000,00fff7,00ff04,bbff00,ff7300,ff0000,ff005d,0091ff,f700ff,fff700,ff00e1,00ffff,ff0000,006eff,09cc02,ff8000,8000ff,ffff00,00ff80

Mapdisplay
Classes: LMDh,LMH,LMP1,LMP2,LMP3,DPi,DP,PC,GT500,SRO GT2,GTE-Pro,GTLM,GTE-Am,GT3,GT4,TCR,Indycar,Indy Lights,F1,F2,F3,F4
colors: 006eff,ff0000,0011ff,ed05d2,ff0000,006eff,09cc02,ff2222,ed8c05,0080ff,22c822,ff8000,9933ff,ffff00,00ff80,ff00ff,0080ff,ed05d2

P.S., The biggest problems are cars that I needed to modify via ac car tuner. Essentially putting backups of the URD GTE's with the original spec physics and the new hyper faster physics. All so i can have a difference between GTE-Pro cars, and GTE-Am's. Originally, I had split it as GTE-Pro 3,2,1. With 3 being the super fast EGT's, 2 being the EGT's when originally purchased (prior to C8R/RSR updates), and 1 being the original classic EGT's. I have recently gone and change GTE-Pro 3,2,1 to GTLM, GTE-Pro, and GTE-Am. But anyway, besides those, the biggest issue has been hypercars, particularly the YZD and partnership 9x8 and the Cadilac LMDh from AC Friends.

Will that be the here? If so
Substanding class (i did fill out the class configuration sheet)
classes: LMDh,LMH,LMP1,LMP2,LMP3,DPi,DP,PC,GT500,SRO GT2,GTE-Pro,GTLM,GTE-Am,GT3,GT4,TCR,Indycar,Indy Lights,F1,F2,F3,F4
Colors: 006eff,fff700,ff0000,00fff7,00ff04,bbff00,ff7300,ff0000,ff005d,0091ff,f700ff,fff700,ff00e1,00ffff,ff0000,006eff,09cc02,ff8000,8000ff,ffff00,00ff80

Mapdisplay
Classes: LMDh,LMH,LMP1,LMP2,LMP3,DPi,DP,PC,GT500,SRO GT2,GTE-Pro,GTLM,GTE-Am,GT3,GT4,TCR,Indycar,Indy Lights,F1,F2,F3,F4
colors: 006eff,ff0000,0011ff,ed05d2,ff0000,006eff,09cc02,ff2222,ed8c05,0080ff,22c822,ff8000,9933ff,ffff00,00ff80,ff00ff,0080ff,ed05d2

P.S., The biggest problems are cars that I needed to modify via ac car tuner. Essentially putting backups of the URD GTE's with the original spec physics and the new hyper faster physics. All so i can have a difference between GTE-Pro cars, and GTE-Am's. Originally, I had split it as GTE-Pro 3,2,1. With 3 being the super fast EGT's, 2 being the EGT's when originally purchased (prior to C8R/RSR updates), and 1 being the original classic EGT's. I have recently gone and change GTE-Pro 3,2,1 to GTLM, GTE-Pro, and GTE-Am. But anyway, besides those, the biggest issue has been hypercars, particularly the YZD and partnership 9x8 and the Cadilac LMDh from AC Friends.
Hmm, I'm not sure about editing the car files. But technically MapDisplay (Extended) and SubStanding (Extended) should do exactly the same to parse the vehicle tags and detect the class.
So if one of the apps shows the colors, but the other doesn't it shouldn't be a problem with the cars data.

I just checked the code, there are minor differences, but nothing I suspect to cause an issue.

What I noticed though, is that the colors do not match the classes in their count. Not sure if that's intended, but your string for SubStanding includes more colors (still one less than the class tags).

Also since you do not use the text color option, it should be possible to copy over the values that work to the other app, to see if at least that is working. Maybe you can also have a look at the before mentioned py_log.txt and check the logs for "map_display" or "SubStanding". Maybe there is a hint. Especially SubStanding should log things regarding the classes.

I apologize for not being clearer with my issue. The big thing isn't colors, but apps not recognizing car classes. Like with these pictures, it recognizes the appropriate class on MapDisplay, but it doesn't for SubStanding. I've been trying to attach some screenshots to show how it is, breaking down and using imgur
GTLM (untouched URD AMR) GTE-Pro (modified URD AMR)
The screenshots look a lot like you're using the original SubStanding (1.X) and not the extended version (2.X), is that correct?
Classes based on tags were only implemented in version 2.2 and it already looked quite different there https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/substanding-extended.51973/updates#resource-update-91677

My suggestion would be to use the latest version 2.14 though, as all features are configurable and can be disabled if you don't need them, but it includes relevant fixes and performance improvements.

With SubStanding 1.X you'd need to assign the actual car names to classes in an ini file. That's still possible in SubStanding (Extended), but per default deactivated and using class tags instead as it's just easier to maintain

Last edited:
AW939 updated Track Map Display (Extended) with a new update entry:

Not a release... but another performance test

After the previous update, I have now implemented the Mini Map, so I thought it's time to do some performance tests again that might be interesting for users of that widget.

View attachment 660449

We can see the rendering times are around 25% of the old app or to make it more of a marketing phrase: Its performance increased to 400%!

I made tests with 5 - 43 vehicles and it always scaled similarly, the more vehicles you have the better it scales. So the performance...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:
The screenshots look a lot like you're using the original SubStanding (1.X) and not the extended version (2.X), is that correct?
Classes based on tags were only implemented in version 2.2 and it already looked quite different there https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/substanding-extended.51973/updates#resource-update-91677

My suggestion would be to use the latest version 2.14 though, as all features are configurable and can be disabled if you don't need them, but it includes relevant fixes and performance improvements.

With SubStanding 1.X you'd need to assign the actual car names to classes in an ini file. That's still possible in SubStanding (Extended), but per default deactivated and using class tags instead as it's just easier to maintain
IT WORKED! IT'S WORKING NOW! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!! I'M OVER THE MOON, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH! Truth be told, i had updated my app at some point, but thinking I was controlled by the classes.ini file meant i didn't update that (was probably a contributing factor) too. I could hug you man, i've been trying to get this to work for 2 months! If it wasn't for the fact my family and I were overdrawn, i'd donate. I will leave a positive review, because your app is great, and and you have gone above and beyond to help me, so again, so thank you very much

Hey, I noticed the new performance test updated mentioned track recording being removed because maps usually don't need it. I just wanted to say, as someone who likes drives some hill climb, rally, and other point to point tracks that sometimes lack AI lines, I do find it a helpful from time to time :)

That said, if it helps performance or you manage updates to the app, disregard my thoughts. I use this and your substandings updated app all the time :thumbsup:

Hey, I noticed the new performance test updated mentioned track recording being removed because maps usually don't need it. I just wanted to say, as someone who likes drives some hill climb, rally, and other point to point tracks that sometimes lack AI lines, I do find it a helpful from time to time :)

That said, if it helps performance or you manage updates to the app, disregard my thoughts. I use this and your substandings updated app all the time :thumbsup:
Hey there, so I thought about this a bit, and I guess it would be possible to implement it here.
But wouldn't it maybe be better and a win-win if you use the AI record tool instead, which already exists? In a few rather simple steps you would then not only have a working map, but also the AI line that you could use, or is there any reason, why that wouldn't work? (Does the recording app e.g. not stop on point-to-point maps? But if there is start + finish for the timing, it should work, I think)
That also has a 3D line in game to show the recorded line even better.

Here's a video explaining it:
It's quite long as there's a lot of driving involved, but it really is not much more than starting the recording in the related app and afterwards rename the generated "candidate" files, and then you'd be good to go.

Last edited:
AW939 updated Track Map Display (Extended) with a new update entry:

V4.0 - MapDisplay Rebuild

It has taken me some time and CSP a few updates, but here it finally is: MapDisplay (Extended) was fully re-build from scratch in Lua.

The whole App Overview page was updated. Please check the content as well.

I hope you like the changes and the better commentary on the tutorial video this time.

For everyone updating: you will have to delete the old python version manually if you want to get rid of it as Content Manager does not detect that.

Read the rest of this update entry...

fantastic job for making it to lua, but I have 2 problems now
1. After pinning the app, I can't unpin it and can't access the settings
2. Is there anyway to make the size of the app bigger, because I don't seem to find 1 in settings

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 450 69.7%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 279 43.2%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 297 46.0%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 133 20.6%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 174 26.9%
Back