Tost: FIA Should Freeze Mercedes Engine Development

Yeah and Adrian Newey should have to design everyone's car.

And Red Bull and Ferrari should finance every team's car development.

And Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso should drive every car in the field.

Never heard anything so proposterous.
I hear you and yet the racing series that are gaining in popularity are the ones using BOP to level the field and make the competition stronger. F1 can continue down the road they're currently on and will still have a huge following but it is no secret that they have lost a large number of fans. Most purists will agree with your assessment and that's ok, it's an opinion but if development can't or won't be curbed, the costs won't either and we'll soon have a 18 or 16 car field. I think Haas have the right idea partnering in part with Ferrari for some of their parts. It's fine if you are a factory team but the rest like Williams, Force India, Sauber, etc. should be allowed to share some of the components. I still think back to the 70's when the Ford DFV occupied the rear end of most of the field with individual chassis from team to team.

Oh boy!..Now this is getting ridiculous!. This is supposed to be the best technological machines in all motor sports for god sakes! If they can't take the heat, get the hell out!....Stop crying and get your ### together Tost!

As much as I hate to say it, no, FIA shouldn't let other teams get closer. I do hate the Merc domination but it's been a really long while since true domination was seen in F1...I mean sure there was Red Bull and Ferrari back when they actually won lol, but others were much closer. And Ferrari and McLaren were really close in the golden days.

MP4/4 was the last car to be as dominant as the latest Merc ones. And that was in 1988. 30 years ago next year!

I respect Franz Tost, he's one of the team principals that doest sugar coat the truth but this does not make sense......... What should we do about Usain Bolt?

Last edited:
true but sheer domination by only one team is what is dooming F1 (withraces in those pathetic Tilkedromes built into the middle of nowhere)...
F1 isdying and if Liberty Media wont do anything serious in few years we will not see anymore any F1 race...

So, you've got a Ferrari logo as your avatar, correct?

Wasn't Ferrari the team that completely dominated the sport when one M. Schumacher was at the peak of his powers around the turn of the century? Did you ask for Ferrari to be nerfed back then?

Isn't Ferrari the team that has special provisions for being allocated more funds and the ability to veto decisions in F1? Did you ask for those rights to be thrown out in the interest of fairness?

Weren't Ferrari (and Renault!) THE biggest proponents of making F1 about engines again (seeing as Red Bull was head and shoulders above the rest in terms of aero)? IIRC, Renault flat out refused to commit to F1 UNLESS the power units were made more road relevant?

If anything, the non-Mercedes engine manufacturers should get their fingers out of their asses and actually make a competitive PU instead of whingeing about Mercedes having done a better job. And I'm saying this as a McLaren Honda fan.

Also, I think Ferrari (and its fans) in particular should shut up and get on with it instead of acting like entitled, narcissistic primadonnas continually blaming each other in Maranello HQ whenever they don't win.

And Franz Tost? Assuming that the quote attributed to him is accurate, I think it is clearly a political message for the F1 leadership and Ross Brawn in particular in terms of where his and Liberty Media's strategic plan is headed for the next 3-5 years.

*phew* I'm glad I got that off my chest.

P.S. I'm only partially serious in the above Riblo. I have nothing against you or fans of other F1 teams in general. I just have a hard time taking Ferrari seriously given that they appear to be such sore losers.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back