They told us we'd never have night or weather for AC. What about rolling starts and safety cars?

Almost from the beginning THEY told us we would NEVER have night or weather in AC. I read in this thread HERE that it's only a matter of time before it's install-able via Content Manager for guys who are computer challanged (like me!).

So when do we get rolling starts and a safety car ... who is working on THIS so called "impossibility"?

I'd almost bet its less than a year before we see it for AC.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
In one of the more ludicrous design decisions for AC, rolling starts are available for multi-player, but not single-player. So... start a multiplayer session for yourself, but don't let anyone else join it.

In one of the more ludicrous design decisions for AC, rolling starts are available for multi-player, but not single-player. So... start a multiplayer session for yourself, but don't let anyone else join it.

In three years of racing AC, I've never seen ANY rolling starts for AC, multi OR single player. Not on SRS, not on RD ... no place.

And certainly no safety car.

You'll have to tell me how this is done.

In three years of racing AC, I've never seen ANY rolling starts for AC, multi OR single player. Not on SRS, not on RD ... no place.

And certainly no safety car.

You'll have to tell me how this is done.
Very easily, you agree with the people you are racing to do a rolling start and you do so... Not really doable in a pub server with random players though :p Same goes for safety car, I'm sure some leagues have done it.

Maybe someone can design an app where you put the admin password in and a max speed and it autokicks people who exceed it on lap 1. Still it would require an admin on the server I guess and it would be a bit unfair for people that don't know.

Very easily, you agree with the people you are racing to do a rolling start and you do so... Not really doable in a pub server with random players though :p Same goes for safety car, I'm sure some leagues have done it.

Maybe someone can design an app where you put the admin password in and a max speed and it autokicks people who exceed it on lap 1. Still it would require an admin on the server I guess and it would be a bit unfair for people that don't know.

That is exactly how the OSRW race admin app works.

For single player, I highly doubt we will see this anytime close if at all, as it would need digging vastly deeper than the "cosmetics" we got so far. You'd need totally new AI subroutines for the grid forming (tho I imagine you could do that based on the normalised AI borders), and in general AI that does not freak out in a densley packed field (which it currently does), totally new AI for the safety car as well, the timing system would need to be rewritten, which Stefano didn't do just for the VLN warm up half-lap layout because it was too much work for just one track according to him.

I remember being on a brazilian GT4 server at Red Bull Ring with an automatic rolling start and penalties for overtaking or exceeding the max speed of the first rolling lap

It surprised me at the first time, as i rocketed off when the lights went off and got messages to get back to my position and not exceed 150 km/h.

I don´t know what they used to setup their server, it was probably the mentioned OSRW race admin app ;)

The only problem surely, Rasmus, is that the app cannot be controlled with server settings.
So ... if a driver has not this app installed .... he does what he likes and needs to be kicked or disqualified after the race. .... or the admin needs to restart the race after kicking him.

Apps without any server control is a real pity sometimes .... as the admin needs to penalize him after the race.... and I can assure you that such a driver winning the race .... will not be there the next time.

I had to do it for a driver of my own team ( his 1st race in the team ) .... we never saw him back afterwards.....

NB: Now, not sure that KissMyRank has a server control or not. PLP or Ptracker have not.

Safety car doesn't really need to be an ai, just do like iRacing and run a replay file of it driving laps.

Safety car can be a real admin waiting in the pits and taking the track at anytime if needed, at the pace it has choosen. + some live teamspeak, and it should work !

Of course it works only on private server within a league race (and there is only 23 places on the gris instead of 24)

And of course one driver should be patient in the pits instead of racing on the track :(

The only problem surely, Rasmus, is that the app cannot be controlled with server settings.
So ... if a driver has not this app installed .... he does what he likes and needs to be kicked or disqualified after the race. .... or the admin needs to restart the race after kicking him.

Apps without any server control is a real pity sometimes .... as the admin needs to penalize him after the race.... and I can assure you that such a driver winning the race .... will not be there the next time.

I had to do it for a driver of my own team ( his 1st race in the team ) .... we never saw him back afterwards.....

NB: Now, not sure that KissMyRank has a server control or not. PLP or Ptracker have not.
It got server sided messages and programmable penalties that are enforced with the last step being a kick. Sure, they still can do what they want. But they won't have to install anything, get warnings etc and get kicked at last instance.
When combined with stracker you can even apply time penalties for the next race.

It's really cool as it solves most of the issues that plp or ptracker have!

It also got an awesome incident review menu etc when connected to the browser! Also custom track limits that are enforced with an algorithm and penalties.
All server sided, again! So nothing to install apart from it being implemented in the host server! Messages can be sent and penalties being given or removed on the fly!

It's so advanced, incredible work!

Problem is that I needed over 1 hour to read through the manual and another 3 hours to get it working with one server...
For RD we would've needed to record all track limits again to match with our rules and also get it to run with 40 different server configs, permanently changing and shut down and restarted.
Too much work for us few AC staffies :redface:
And of course the new EU laws killed it finally...

Last edited:
Ilja already pulled a few tricks teleporting Ai around the track. I wonder what else he has in mind?

Just who is Ilja ... exactly? Is he really a Russian super computer which has AC tinkering as a hobby?

Or is he an elf who lives in a tree deep in forest who only comes out to bring AC goodies once in a while?

ErnieWMiniChips.jpg

Does Ilja have needs? Food, cars, women ... beer ... or perhaps a decent Ale?

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea