Cars The Need For Speed

View attachment 279057
If you can't read from the pic it's 1:44.208 with Aphidgod's settings. Lots of comments by drivers about 911's ring true when driving this car which can only be a good sign :thumbsup:
upload_2018-11-22_11-42-46.png

To Aphidgod + Andy-R - you guys are awesome!!
PLUS you did the Carrera 4 and Turbo (I wasn't going to ask for those) AND other tracks!!
A great birthday present for my 40th today guys -haha- thanks again. :)

Last edited:
Sorry, maybe I shouldn't have posted that... I'm used to showing lap times like that for the WHC.

I also noticed afterwards that AI lap times were actually requested, I saw Aphidgod suggest he would get some times from AI but didn't notice that was what was asked for. That being said I think the AI are a bad benchmark particularly at Monza66 as they brake for flat out corners AFAIK. It does look like the AI end up with the correct order, for the Supra, RX7 & 911 at least (basing that on RSR times for the Japanese cars.)

The AI may be a bad benchmark, but that's what you're going to get when you race against them regardless. And in my experience the times may not be representative but the relative order of the cars (for the most part) will be. :thumbsup:

The AI may be a bad benchmark, but that's what you're going to get when you race against them regardless. And in my experience the times may not be representative but the relative order of the cars (for the most part) will be. :thumbsup:
Yep I'd agree with that. I did a looot of AI car balance checking when ALOOG 1 was changing content every day or two and for the most part it would be the right order. The gaps between cars weren't that reliable though. Great for ballpark info.

Hey, so I've been reading through old thread pages around the time of the release of the Viper and Corvette to make sure I have all of the reported physics issues ironed out for the updates I'm finishing right now... found the pages with all of your comments in February and I'd like to thank all of you for the kind words and well-wishes.

On the subject of this:

really surprised to see him being angry, as i can't remember anything but praise for his physics.

For the record, I didn't leave because of anything anyone said to me about any of my own work. (Although the guy who reviewed the Lola and smugly docked it a star because of a UI badge issue that was already listed as 'fixed for next update' came awfully close.) I left because of the giant fight over the RallyLegends Lancia, and the pervasive attitude on display there that modders who ask for or reward users for donation support or (gasp) offer paymods are somehow abusing the community.

It was never about me. I've never once asked for pay or even for donations. I never even put up a paypal link for them in the first place - despite sinking more than 5000+ hours into developing my skills and researching/creating my cars... not to mention the ~$500 I've spent out of my own pocket on books, models, and subscriptions to services that had data I needed for this project or that.

It occurred to me at a certain point that in my idealism about working for free, for the enrichment of the community I was, in fact, contributing to its corruption by reinforcing and justifying certain users' sense of entitlement regarding their right to get professional-quality content for free. The only thing that made sense was to stop feeding into that. (And frankly, I needed the break anyway... see: 5000+ hours.)

At any rate, 9 months off has done me good. I doubt I'll ever get as stuck-in as I was before, but I'm back now and I'm still working on cars as I have been the entire time. There's lots of unreleased stuff on my hard drive that could use some models, and if I can arrange to make the 3d work happen I will share any or all of it. For free. As always.

The overwhelming majority of you are kind, appreciative people and there's plenty of life left in AC. I'd love to bring you some more cars. :thumbsup:

I looked at getting into modding right back to the very beginning when the official forum was running their modding section.
But it was all to hard for me even though I did try and I have converted the odd old track into AC but only for my personal use as I couldn't make them any better for AC to go through the getting permission.
So I have nothing but admiration and thanks to all the people that do modding for AC. Some people need to try doing this stuff for themselves before letting fly with some of the comments they come out with I sure they would have a different attitude.
Sorry I don't want to derail this thread which I have most likely done but to the 3D artists, physics creators and sound engineers I thank you very much.

Hey, so I've been reading through old thread pages around the time of the release of the Viper and Corvette to make sure I have all of the reported physics issues ironed out for the updates I'm finishing right now... found the pages with all of your comments in February and I'd like to thank all of you for the kind words and well-wishes.

On the subject of this:

For the record, I didn't leave because of anything anyone said to me about any of my own work. (Although the guy who reviewed the Lola and smugly docked it a star because of a UI badge issue that was already listed as 'fixed for next update' came awfully close.) I left because of the giant fight over the RallyLegends Lancia, and the pervasive attitude on display there that modders who ask for or reward users for donation support or (gasp) offer paymods are somehow abusing the community.

It was never about me. I've never once asked for pay or even for donations. I never even put up a paypal link for them in the first place - despite sinking more than 5000+ hours into developing my skills and researching/creating my cars... not to mention the ~$500 I've spent out of my own pocket on books, models, and subscriptions to services that had data I needed for this project or that.

It occurred to me at a certain point that in my idealism about working for free, for the enrichment of the community I was, in fact, contributing to its corruption by reinforcing and justifying certain users' sense of entitlement regarding their right to get professional-quality content for free. The only thing that made sense was to stop feeding into that. (And frankly, I needed the break anyway... see: 5000+ hours.)

At any rate, 9 months off has done me good. I doubt I'll ever get as stuck-in as I was before, but I'm back now and I'm still working on cars as I have been the entire time. There's lots of unreleased stuff on my hard drive that could use some models, and if I can arrange to make the 3d work happen I will share any or all of it. For free. As always.

The overwhelming majority of you are kind, appreciative people and there's plenty of life left in AC. I'd love to bring you some more cars. :thumbsup:
Thank-You-Flowers-Images.jpg

Hopefully we'll continue doing so, when time permits. I agree AC still has a lot of life left, so I don't see myself moving to another platform any time soon.

__custom_showroom_1543229416.jpg

Agreed, AC very much is still alive and almost thriving, but for the biggest part that is owed to you guys!

Nobody knows quite, even less understands, how it happened, but somehow, magically, AC fell right in the goldilocks zone of simracing, attracting, amongst many other talented modders, such incredibly gifted and dedicated artists like Jason, David, Daniel, Sergio, Jim, Gary, Brun, LilSki, Peter Boese and x4fab, literally picking up the game where Kunos left off!
Boy, am I glad to be in the right universe, at the right time:D:)

Agreed, AC very much is still alive and almost thriving, but for the biggest part that is owed to you guys!

Nobody knows quite, even less understands, how it happened, but somehow, magically, AC fell right in the goldilocks zone of simracing, attracting, amongst many other talented modders, such incredibly gifted and dedicated artists like Jason, David, Daniel, Sergio, Jim, Gary, Brun, LilSki, Peter Boese and x4fab, literally picking up the game where Kunos left off!
Boy, am I glad to be in the right universe, at the right time:D:)

True, this is one of the first times I feel like I haven't been late to the party for something. Getting to help out in the creation of content is a pretty neat feeling. I only wish I had the artistic skills to make the stuff I wanted to make. I work in CAD for my job, but it's not "make it look pretty" as much as "make it functional", so I don't really have much experience with lighting and the typical 3D modelling tools that games use. I've tried my hand at making a basic track just to match a layout of a track I race in real life and have gotten something that's at least familiar, but far from convincing at the moment. I've tried to "make it pretty" by putting in stuff like guardrails and bleachers and whatnot, but I just have a hard time working in the software I have. It's not natural enough for me yet so it feels super clunky trying to do stuff.

@gecco

If AC was strong rival to other devs before, then now it probably is annoying Kunos the most lol AC actually is biggest rival of ACC, and it is the most influential on it. Which is good and bad at the same time. Because AC is great, but it is not as great as it can get.

The recipe is simple. AC is simple and neat, not too easy and not too complex. Right at the middle :) And now with the help of modders and various leagues it continues on its momentum. But the time will come to take next step, perhaps to new middle ? Hopefully higher.

Scary to think that going higher than AC might not work out, but nice to think that going lower probably wouldn't work either. I still hope that simulation could be pushed further and it could remain as popular, or ideally get even more popular.

The best thing about ac is that it feels like it was made easily moddable by design. You can change so much stuff so easily. The tools exist and are very nice (like the batch editor inside the sdk!) and the text files are well explained. Not perfect but good enough. And the documentation is great. Anybody can make a car or track for ac. Anybody. Not because it is so easy but because it is so well documented and hassle free. And because it is so well understood people can abuse the software to make it do things it was not supposed to be capable of.

There are modding platforms out there who think making the modding process as difficult as possible is somehow the right way to do things. Some think the cream will rise to the top but I think that is just a recipe for making sure the few mods that get released come out broken because nobody has no idea how things work. And the rest die in the forest of frustration while the main line of content is conversions from older titles. With ac the only obstacle from having a mod not get finished is lack of time or loss of interest. Never unfixable unexplainable problems.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back