The International Manufacturers Championship '67

nino_game.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is the actual spot in the game for the incident although the low wall here is only a sidewalk curb. Note also the identical diamond shaped pattern for the house window as well as the "NINO" writing on the wall.

The curb would be easy to just raise two decimeters and change out the texture. Not sure if it's a good idea to add poor Nino there though as he will not necessary crash out at that spot every time I run the race. :p He might even go on and win the whole thing and can't be at two places at the same time!

Last edited:
Getting tired of being rammed in the back by faster cars lapping you when driving a slower class car? Although there are several parameters in the game that affects this, the single most important one to stop the behavour is to set Composure = 1.0 in the .rcd talent files for ALL drivers.

Here I'm driving the Lotus Elan 26R which is currently getting a complete overhaul in my shop. Note how I'm being lapped by lots of cars without being hit once.

67076.jpg

Burnand/Taggart • Lotus Elan 26R • BOAC 500, Brands Hatch, 1967

Yes, I would say it makes a huge difference for improving the gameplay and I encourage everyone to try it out.

Below is an example of a talent file and what values I use in my game. Figures in red are used for ALL drivers in order to maximize realism and gameplay while the green ones are individual specific.

Bandini_Amon DA
{
// Car/Driver Info: Ferrari 330 P3/4 : Daytona 023
Abbreviation=Bandini
Nationality=Italian
NatAbbrev=I

StartsDry=0.0
StartsWet=0.0
StartStalls=0.0
QualifyingAbility=1.00
RaceAbility=0.2
Consistency=1.0
RainAbility=0.2
Passing=95.0
Crash=0.0
Recovery=0.0
CompletedLaps%=100
Script=default.scp
TrackAggression=0.5

CorneringAdd=1.2
CorneringMult=0.875

TCGripThreshold=0.7
TCThrottleFract=1.2
TCResponse=0.0

MinRacingSkill = 1.00
Composure = 1.0

RaceColdBrainMin=1.00
RaceColdBrainTime=0
QualColdBrainMin=0.75
QualColdBrainTime=90
}

I use event specific talent files to have every car to perform authentic 1967 lap times at each specific event. In order to get that to work, the first line in the talent file has to be unique for that car: Bandini_Amon DA, where "DA" stands for the Daytona event. The underscore between the two driver names is displayed with a slash in game (the helmet graphic files can't be named with a slash) and the long empty space is to ensure that the event abbreviation is not visible in the timing and scoring screens.

Last edited:
I should also have mentioned that several of the parameters in red above are most likely not used by the game.

Here are some notes on some of the working values:

QualifyingAbility=1.00

Doesn't affect the AI performance at an actual qualifying session and only determine the grid order if you're completely skipping the qualifications. This is also done by the ComparativeTime line in the .car files but without any randomness and will override the talent file value.

TrackAggression=0.5

This parameter is a bit of a compromise since if set too high, the faster AI cars will often hit the slower AI cars too hard when lapping them. At 0.5 they usually only get a small nudge in order to get out of the way.

CorneringAdd=1.2

This is the best value to have the AI handle hairpins optimally (or as good as it gets).

MinRacingSkill = 1.00

Having this set lower than 1.00 will make the AI to suddenly slow down for a second without any reason. If set really low they will completely stop on the track.

Composure = 1.0

Having this set lower than 1.0 will make the AI prone to hit you from behind. If set really low they will even try to force you off track when going side by side!

RaceColdBrainMin=1.00, RaceColdBrainTime=0

Makes sure that the AI will go as fast as they can right from the race start.

QualColdBrainMin=0.75, QualColdBrainTime=90

Makes sure that the AI will drive at a realistic qualifying outlap speed.

An organized pdf sounds like a good idea but I also see this whole thread as a resource (and hopefully inspiration) for anyone who would like to dig deeper into GTR2 and improve their own games. A big purpose of the thread is also very much to try and create more interest for a more complete historical realism in future games and mods. And 1960's sportscar endurance racing.

daytona.jpg

I agree that a pdf would be perhaps useful. Plenty of interesting information on this thread and it would be useful for the few(?) of us who still play and like to mess with these old games.

Here are also some notes on the AI individual specific values (in green in the example file above) for my talent files:

RaceAbility=0.2

Range 0.0 - 6.2 (0.0 is best). This seems to follow a progressive scale as it's hard to note any difference between 0.0 and 3.0 but beyond that span, an AI driver will start to be slower the longer the race goes although the value doesn't affect the driver's best lap times.

RainAbility=0.2

Same as RaceAbility but for wet conditions.

CorneringMult=0.875

This is the most important value to set the speed of an individual AI driver. Can really be set to anything between 0.500 and 0.999 (higher is faster) but is of course also related to general AI parameters such as QualRatio, RaceRatio, AIDryGrip, AIWetGrip, AISens, and AIGripMult.

Last edited:
Here's a comparance between a game qualifying session lap times and the real 1967 Brands Hatch event for the first 10 positions on the grid. All AI driver times are within a few tenths of the real driver times. And the best thing (and essential for the gameplay!) is that a fairly good human player will be able to match these lap times in the same car if trying hard.

brands_qualy_game.jpg

(The game timing screen layout is very much WIP and will eventually have black text on white typewriter paper sheets).

brands_qualy_real.jpg

It's easy to get the individual AI drivers to perform authentic lap times by adjusting the CorneringMult .rcd file value mentioned above if you first have got the general AI parameters right. Here are some starting points to try out:

QualRatio: (0.9800) Range: (0.9000)-(1.0500) (.aiw) RaceRatio: (0.9800) Range: (0.9000)-(1.0500) (.aiw) AIDryGrip: 0.98 Range: 0.90-1.05 (.gdb) AIWetGrip: 1.03 Range: 0.95-1.10 (.gdb) AISens: (0.90, 15000.0) (.tyr) These are the optimal values and needs to be changed for all compounds within a .tyr file in order to work. AIGripMult: 1.20 (front), 1.35 (rear) (.tyr)

Note that the AI grip values are for 1960's sportscars and might not be suitable for more modern cars.

Last edited:
Imagine driving this together with Pinkie Windridge for 12 hours under the Florida sun and moon...

67025a.jpg

67025b.jpg

67025c.jpg

According to an article I read, the car was completely stock and not prepared for racing at all (although it obviously had a roll bar). A year and a new paint job later, the car appeared in my favourite Steve McQueen movie.

67025d.jpg

(And no, Le Mans isn't my number one Steve McQueen movie).

Oh man, eight hours into the race and I most likely won't make it to the pits for fuel...

low_fuel.jpg

And btw, has anyone ever got the below setting found in the GTR2 .plr file to work?

Pitcrew Push="1" // When out of fuel in pitlane, allows pitcrew to push car (use throttle and gear selection to direct)

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 5 25.0%