The International Manufacturers Championship '67

Cool vid.
I enjoy the WSCC1967 mod's Chap 2F's, mapping the handbrake (hdc's rearwing effect) to my clutch pedal, turning off the rev matching, turn on auto-clutch and sequential shifter. Left shoe holding the "flapper pedal" down the straights and right shoe lifts for up shifts. Then left shoe jumping on the brakes while right shoe blips to match revs before the torque converter fully converts , it's a cool unique dance that the Chap's have.
BaulkTorque=90.0
AllowManualOverride=1
SemiAutomatic=0
UpshiftDelay=0.1
UpshiftClutchTime=0.2
DownshiftDelay=0.1
DownshiftClutchTime=0.2
DownshiftBlipThrottle=0.0

Last edited:
I used the in-car wing flipper for a while but didn't like having to remember to re-assign the clutch pedal every time I drove another car. Also, I've read that for some of the 1967 races, the team chose to lock the wing in a fixed position for safety and stability reasons so I decided to settle for that for all races in the end. However, I can still adjust the wing in the car setup menu to suit the different race events.

Nice video, appreciated, thanks!

I wanted to make a note: I noticed that all the versions of the 10 km Monza circuit that are for GTR2 have the departure on the side of the pits, but there is no possibility of having the departure on the other side of the straight as was it in reality?

Yes, the 1967 Monza race had the start and finish on the parallel straight, using a dummy grid some hundred meters back so the cars didn't have to do a full formation lap. However, it would be a huge task to move the start/finish line in the game, something that definitely wouldn't be worth the effort. Same with Daytona, where the 1967 race was started at the "black obelisk" on the oval's back straight but finished in front of the control tower. Also, the start and finish line has to be at the same place in GTR2 so if moving the start line at Daytona, then the finish line will be in the wrong place instead.

daytona-67-start.jpg

Daytona 24h 1967 start line

daytona-67-finish.jpg

Daytona 24h 1967 finish line

Some more historically authentic gameplay...

From the Daytona 24-hours article in the March 1967 issue of MotorSport magazine:

"As the green flag fell, Foyt and Hill shot forward into the banking. Before they had completed the first turn, the Chaparral had already pulled out a lead of 50 yards. Andretti had been given the job by Fords of going into the lead and breaking up the opposition. However, try as he may, the American track driver could not keep up with the Chaparral. Lap by lap, Hill pulled out a lead at the rate of a second every two laps."

Foyt started from pole in the red Ford Mk II and Hill from second on the grid in the Chaparral 2F. I'm driving the Holman & Moody maroon coloured Ford Mk II in place of Andretti but unfortunately couldn't live up to the plan set by Ford either and I even managed to die in the process...

67005DA-1.jpg

The Andretti/Ginther Ford Mk II

Note how Hill quickly get into the lead and then starting to pull away from Foyt just like in the real 1967 race...

Now let's try driving in place of Phil Hill in the Chaparral 2F and see if also I can get into the lead and then start to pull away in the first couple of laps...

Since this reading, I have discovered with pleasure the wscc67 mod and many others...;)
I was only playing online until now, but I have to say that the choice is limited. Whether it's PnG or GTR2, only Festbierbude and Kölschbierbude have something going on! But as it's not always what I'd like to do, I'm going to start some offline races.

My question is, what are the best settings for the AI?

(Any chance to test your work, even partially?;))

Why do you have the hands removed from the steering wheel?

From the previous page of the thread:

"And for those who wonder why there aren't any driver arms present, the reason is that GTR2's internal driver animation can't handle a 900 degrees steering wheel rotation and it's way more important to me that my real wheel matches the movement of the animated wheel on the screen. And if that wasn't enough, there's also a GTR2 light direction bug most noticeable at dusk and dawn that makes the driver arms and hands appear in the shadow while the steering wheel and dashboard are not and vice versa, something that looks really disturbing."

There are many different AI variables in GTR2, located in several different files and depending a lot on the mod, tracks, and cars used so it would be hard for me to make any general recommendations. The following are some of the more important variables though:

.plr file
AI Additional Fuel Mult
AI Brake Power Usage
AI Brake Grip Usage
AI Corner Grip Usage

.aiw file
QualRatio
RaceRatio

.gdb file
AIDryGrip
AIWetGrip
AITireWear (this one is not in the original GTR2 game but works just fine)

.tyr file
AISens
AIGripMult

.rcd file
RaceAbility
RainAbility
TrackAggression
CorneringAdd
CorneringMult

I'm a little surprised (OK, not really) that no one has wondered over the oddball Ford P40 listed in the car list on page 1 of the thread.

67004SF.jpg

The Sutcliffe/Redman Ford P40 at the 1967 Spa 1000 km

From the internet:

"The Sutcliffe chassis, GT/112, was the thirteenth and last of the original chassis and built to Roadster GT-X1 spec. It stayed like this for some time until a plastic roof was added to it for '67. It was the press who dubbed this car the "Ford P40"."

The press or not, I've seen it named "Ford P40" in official race entry documents as well.

Ford_P40_display.jpg

(Yeah, I know the body shape isn't perfect but still worth having the car represented in the game).

Ford_P40_track.jpg

The car was fairly competitive at Spa and finished an overall 6th with Peter Sutcliffe and Brian Redman driving. (Anyone here remember Redman from the old GPLEA forum where he went by the name "Dark Angel"? Although it was never fully confirmed, I remember thinking it was cool as hell if it actually was him).

redman_lemans_1970.jpg

Brian Redman and Steve McQueen at Le Mans in 1970

Here's a really interesting recollection from Redman on the laid-back atmosphere of some of the teams back in the day. Le Mans 1967:

"On the Thursday before the race, the team’s commitment to eating, drinking and fine living was in full flow when at 3.30pm Lord Downe turned his attention to business. ‘What time is practice”’ he enquired? As 14 diners looked at each other with bemused silence, I volunteered, ‘It’s at 5 o’clock.’ Speaking to his younger brother the Hon.James, Lord Downe said: ‘Get Brian to the track, as quickly as possible.’ The Dawnay’s enormous old Rolls-Royce, of Second World War vintage, could only proceed with comfort when centrally positioned on the crowned French country roads. On a mission, at 75 mph, James gripped the wheel, right foot firmly planted on the throttle. In the distance, coming towards us, a Citroën Deux Chevaux appeared, also in the middle of the road. As I was about to dive under the dashboard, James stood up. Steering with one hand and waving with the other, he shouted, ‘Get out of the way, you bloody peasant!’ Miraculously, they did."

Makes me feel less bad for drinking while playing my game, haha.

67062.jpg

The Salmon/Redman Ford GT40 was only a couple of seconds slower than the two Mirage M1s in the 1967 Le Mans qualifying

Redman continues:

"For the race, I was paired with veteran sports car driver Mike Salmon, who was the designated starter. When, after 20 laps, Mike stopped for fuel, I opened the door expecting to get in. ‘I’m terribly comfortable, old boy, I’m staying in’ Mike said. After every refueling stop, it was the responsibility of the Automobile Club de l’Ouest’s official plombeur to secure the filler cap. Unfortunately, in this case, the cap wasn’t fastened properly. As Mike braked hard at the end of the Mulsanne Straight, fuel surged from the tank, popped open the cap and flowed onto the hot exhaust pipes. Immediately the car erupted in flames. Mike was able to extricate himself but not before being badly burned, the car was totally consumed."

salmon_fire.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised (OK, not really) that no one has wondered over the oddball Ford P40 listed in the car list on page 1 of the thread.

View attachment 651308
The Sutcliffe/Redman Ford P40 at the 1967 Spa 1000 km

From the internet:

"The Sutcliffe chassis, GT/112, was the thirteenth and last of the original chassis and built to Roadster GT-X1 spec. It stayed like this for some time until a plastic roof was added to it for '67. It was the press who dubbed this car the "Ford P40"."

The press or not, I've seen it named "Ford P40" in official race entry documents as well.

View attachment 651309
(Yeah, I know the body shape isn't perfect but still worth having the car represented in the game).

View attachment 651310

The car was fairly competitive at Spa and finished an overall 6th with Peter Sutcliffe and Brian Redman driving. (Anyone here remember Redman from the old GPLEA forum where he went by the name "Dark Angel"? Although it was never fully confirmed, I remember thinking it was cool as hell if it actually was him).

View attachment 651311
Brian Redman and Steve McQueen at Le Mans in 1970

Here's a really interesting recollection from Redman on the laid-back atmosphere of some of the teams back in the day. Le Mans 1967:

"On the Thursday before the race, the team’s commitment to eating, drinking and fine living was in full flow when at 3.30pm Lord Downe turned his attention to business. ‘What time is practice”’ he enquired? As 14 diners looked at each other with bemused silence, I volunteered, ‘It’s at 5 o’clock.’ Speaking to his younger brother the Hon.James, Lord Downe said: ‘Get Brian to the track, as quickly as possible.’ The Dawnay’s enormous old Rolls-Royce, of Second World War vintage, could only proceed with comfort when centrally positioned on the crowned French country roads. On a mission, at 75 mph, James gripped the wheel, right foot firmly planted on the throttle. In the distance, coming towards us, a Citroën Deux Chevaux appeared, also in the middle of the road. As I was about to dive under the dashboard, James stood up. Steering with one hand and waving with the other, he shouted, ‘Get out of the way, you bloody peasant!’ Miraculously, they did."

Makes me feel less bad for drinking while playing my game, haha.

View attachment 651312
The Salmon/Redman Ford GT40 Mk I was only a couple of seconds slower than the two Mirage M1s in the 1967 Le Mans qualifying

Redman continues:

"For the race, I was paired with veteran sports car driver Mike Salmon, who was the designated starter. When, after 20 laps, Mike stopped for fuel, I opened the door expecting to get in. ‘I’m terribly comfortable, old boy, I’m staying in’ Mike said. After every refueling stop, it was the responsibility of the Automobile Club de l’Ouest’s official plombeur to secure the filler cap. Unfortunately, in this case, the cap wasn’t fastened properly. As Mike braked hard at the end of the Mulsanne Straight, fuel surged from the tank, popped open the cap and flowed onto the hot exhaust pipes. Immediately the car erupted in flames. Mike was able to extricate himself but not before being badly burned, the car was totally consumed."

View attachment 651313
Great history and attention to detail!

Thank you!

tyres.jpg

Here's how I've tackled the GTR2 modern tyre strategies issue in the game

The very low tyre wear for the mid 60's compounds in P&G might be period correct in some cases but totally ruins the gameplay since the AI in GTR2 always change their tyres at every pitstop. So the solution I use is to set the wear in the .tyr files so that also the player wants to take on fresh rubber at every pitstop which is actually not that far from how it was in 1967 for many of the prototype cars. A corresponding tyre wear figure (shown on the pitstop clipboard) when coming in for fuel is between 10-20 for the player (depending on driving style and tyre compound) and between 20-40 for the AI since they aren't as affected performance wise by worn tyres as the player. At 10, one can clearly feel that the tyres have lost some of its original grip but the car is still very much driveable. However, if skipping to change tyres at that point and waiting to do it until the next fuel stop, the car will be very difficult to handle at race speed towards the end of the stint, all in order to have the player prefer to take on new tyres at every scheduled pitstop.

Here are the current WIP WearRate and AIWear values I use in the .tyr files:

--------------------------------------- -----------------DUNLOP---------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------- R7 White Spot - SOFT - All weather - Game name: Dunlop S All WearRate=30.00e-8 Pit clipboard: 20 AIWear=9.00e-8 Pit clipboard: 40 ------------------------------------------------------------------- R7 Yellow Spot - MEDIUM - All weather - Game name: Dunlop M All WearRate=25.00e-8 Pit clipboard: 15 AIWear=7.00e-8 Pit clipboard: 30 ------------------------------------------------------------------- R7 Green Spot - HARD - Dry weather - Game name: Dunlop H Dry WearRate=20.00e-8 Pit clipboard: 10 AIWear=5.00e-8 Pit clipboard: 20 ------------------------------------------------------------------- CR70 Red Spot - HARD - Dry weather - Game name: Dunlop H Dry WearRate=20.00e-8 Pit clipboard: 10 AIWear=5.00e-8 Pit clipboard: 20 ------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------- ---------------FIRESTONE--------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Indy - MEDIUM - Dry weather - Game name: Firestone M Dry WearRate=25.00e-8 Pit clipboard: 10 AIWear=7.00e-8 Pit clipboard: 20 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Super Sport GP R106 - SOFT - Wet weather - Game name: Firestone S Wet WearRate=20.00e-8 Pit clipboard: 10 AIWear=5.00e-8 Pit clipboard: 20 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------- ---------------GOODYEAR---------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------- SCS All Weather - MEDIUM - All weather - Game name: Goodyear M All WearRate=25.00e-8 Pit clipboard: 15 AIWear=7.00e-8 Pit clipboard: 30 --------------------------------------------------------------------- SCS Dry - HARD - Dry weather - Game name: Goodyear H Dry WearRate=20.00e-8 Pit clipboard: 10 AIWear=5.00e-8 Pit clipboard: 20 --------------------------------------------------------------------- SCS Wet - SOFT - Wet weather - Game name: Goodyear S Wet WearRate=20.00e-8 Pit clipboard: 10 AIWear=5.00e-8 Pit clipboard: 20 ---------------------------------------------------------------------

And the current WIP PlayerTireWear and AITireWear values in the tracks' .gdb files:

Player AI Daytona 0.60 0.60 Sebring 0.50 0.60 Monza 0.80 0.70 Spa 0.90 0.90 Targa Florio Nürburgring 0.50 0.50 Le Mans 1.00 0.70 INDEX TRACK Brands Hatch 0.30 0.70

Original GTR2 wet weather tyre strategies will also be a big issue for the gameplay if using dynamic weather since the AI will pit for new tyres up to three times (intermediate > wet > monsoon) in a short period of time if the weather goes from dry to heavy rain. This is hardcoded in the GTR2.exe and can't be changed but luckily the 1967 championship only had one race with rain (Spa 1000 km), where it rained from start to finish so no historical need for dynamic weather in the game.

Spa_1000_km_1967.jpg

Last edited:
Heading out for Saturday practice for the Spa 1000 km race, driving the Sutcliffe Ford P40...

Notice the customized cockpit interior including the period correct battery brand installed on the floor. (I used to think that the placement of the battery in the GT40s was a modern thing carried over from GTL but I've since learnt that it was actually done that way from the beginning).

ford_p40_cockpit.jpg

exide.jpg

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • More leagues

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Prizes

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 4 11.8%