The Elephant in the room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cote Dazur

SIM Addict
I want to share a concern that I have about AMS2. It does not seem to be discussed, but when comparing how many player actually play the game, I am very worried this game will get any traction ever. It is no just less than other SIM, it is very very little, particularly as it is new.

I would love to hear what Reiza think of the abysmally small amount of user.

Screenshot (7).jpg

How many use a game does not reflect on how good it is, AMS2 is good, but not having user, hence no money coming in has to be some how worry some for Reiza and by consequence to existing user.

By all the coverage here in RD and all the superlative in this thread, you could be tempted to think that this is the next big thing for SIM racer. Not so much, why is their not more players?

How could you state that?
Just look at the figures
AC : https://steamcharts.com/app/244210 Peak players:: 7100.
AMS2 : https://steamcharts.com/app/1066890 Peak players: 470.
Will AMS2 time ever come?
Just my opinion. I have no negativity to AC(simple im dont like AC FFB), but I repeat - I think AC is an outdated game. Morally outdated - especially.

The best doesn't mean the most popular.Otherwise we'd be seeing 7100 people a day in RF2.

AC is cheaper, more popular, very user friendly and most importantly - it's 5 years of game development + thanks SOL.

AMS2 - shitty start, only a year of development.

Last edited:
What does that mean?
You don't like it doesnt mean it's not good.
And I think you don't really know AC keys success. Development is not only based on SOL but especially CM, CSP and all modders. AMS2 won't live so long i can tell you that.
And yes if RF2 only have peak players of 600 is that it's not so good.
That's right - my opinion is not an indicator of objectivity, there's no doubt about that.

Of course, I have SOL, contend manager and installed shader patch. Still, I like RSS GT and sometimes run it.

About this we can talk a long time, but the main thing is how outdated AC is - the lack of ranking race in the online and the absence of a normal AI (in fact, it was originally bad).

We do not know if there will be a good AI/online race in AMS2, but that it will not be in AC - I'm sure. Leagues are a thing of the past for many people - even the very slow S397s have realized this and are making a platform for rating competitions. I think that in six months/year we will see online competitions in AMS2, like in RRE/RF2, for example.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Aww, the quote player numbers argument. How quaint.

Is FH4 better than AC then?

https://steamcharts.com/cmp/244210,1293830
In racing arcade group yes, FH4 is more populated and therefore more popular.
In simulators group it is AC at the moment. Higher players count means that more people consider it a better overall package worth their seat time, doesn"t mean liking is unanimous or that it's perfect at everything.
And it's still younger than R3E or RFactor2 with heavy modding literally giving it a second life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it really matter reading steam stats, I mean, c'mon, what are we trying to prove. Why are we worried. The worst situation is, you get a whole load of content for single player racing ten times cheaper than iracing, and cheaper than some other sims. And the better situation is multiplayer eventually takes off and you get a whole load of content ten times cheaper than iracing, and cheaper than some other sims.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Base game plus season pass is not exactly cheap, but I do not believe many people in this hobby choose one sim over another because of the price. Average wheel cost more than all sims on the market combined.

What does that mean?
You don't like it doesnt mean it's not good.
And I think you don't really know AC keys success. Development is not only based on SOL but especially CM, CSP and all modders. AMS2 won't live so long i can tell you that.
And yes if RF2 only have peak players of 600 is that it's not so good.
Fair arguments for both sides but your comment "AMS2 won't live so long" has exposed your mind set, as coming Negative.

It's clear Reiza hasn't put any focus on MP and have said they will bring focus towards the end of the year.

On that note we'll have to wait and see or count your losses now and move on.

Fair arguments for both sides but your comment "AMS2 won't live so long" has exposed your mind set, as coming Negative.

It's clear Reiza hasn't put any focus on MP and have said they will bring focus towards the end of the year.

On that note we'll have to wait and see or count your losses now and move on.
Sorry for this expression 'It will not live so long' I should have said if nothing is done for MP and modding possible it won't stay as long as AC.
For competitive aspect I don't need ranking mode, SRS is perfect. Simracing-gp plans to add ranking for AC but I don't even need that.
If AC is outdated please tell me why do Grosjean Esports and Ferrari Esports support it?
But don't misunderstand me, I'm an open minded simracer and I own and play AMS2. But because there's no competitive aspect yet (even SRS stopped to support for now) and the power of it modding model, AC is still in the game and my preferred sim right now. I really really love the driving simulation feeling and the beauty of this game.

Last edited:
So Jimmy Broatbent just tested AMS2

His conclusion at the end is direct and simple: it's not yet the simulation he was waiting for and said at 13:00 'AC looks better' :)
He pointed out a lot of weaknesses in the car behaviour and that the car doesn't really feel like a DPI car to be honest.
Don't forget Jimmy has a high expertise in racing simulation but he's now a real race driver.

Last edited:
You do know that this is a thread discussing player numbers, right?
My point was, people are trying to say that because there is higher player numbers, that means it is a better game.

Higher player numbers are for a majority of reasons. Modding for AC being the main one.

For itself, the player count in AMS2 is still slightly worrying, but to compare it to other games and use player count as a level of quality of said game is shortsighted.

His conclusion at the end is direct and simple: it's not yet the simulation he was waiting for and said at 13:00 'AC looks better' :)
He pointed out a lot of weaknesses in the car behaviour and that the car doesn't really feel like a DPI car to be honest.
Don't forget Jimmy has a high expertise in racing simulation but he's now a real race driver.
I liked Jimmy's video and the behaviour he describes could indeed be something that needs ironing out (I am having a lot of fun with GTEs haven't tried the DPi yet) but bear in mind a couple of things. Firstly, it could be something wrong with the driving model and in that case, Reiza needs to fix it.

Another reason is a setup issue. Car might be too soft on the rear for instance.
He has a different throttle application than me in corners so with the default setup, I don't know if I would suffer from the same. He recognizes that this behavior happens when he pushes the throttle a bit early while cornering and that he suffers a four wheel slide while he thinks the car should be understeering (around 8 minute mark). Pushing the throttle early will shift the weight of the car back quite a bit. He has real life experience with a car kind of similar to this but with about half the power so the weight shift that happens will be much smaller. This could be a simple setup away from being fixed. It could be an indicator that the car has the center of balance (?) too far back. If you have too little rake, too soft a rear or too stiff a front (or any combination) pushing the throttle will change the aero profile and weight distribution of the car causing the mass of the car to shift back further with throttle input. Too stiff a diff (and I tend to find AMS2 default diffs way too stiff) will also add to this behaviour and can further compound this issue. Also, his front tires are not really up to temperature across his race which is another indicator that the car balance is slightly too far to the rear (in the Vette, I open up the diff, turn BB forward a couple of clicks and soften the front ARB quite a bit in order to get equivalent pressures and temperatures everywhere).
Jimmy also comments that when he was a bit softer with throttle application (8:40) the car responds better and those weird slides don't happen which to me points towards his driving style suiting a more relaxed diff and probably a more front balanced car so that the weight keeps more at the front with increased throttle application translating in not having as much of a loss of grip in the rear.

Again, it could be a flaw in the physics mind you but it isn't necessarily that.
For instance, he compares the car to iRacing LMP2s. iRacing has a much more simple aero model for instance and that could be why they feel more planted (the more complicated the model, the more it has where to fail). So, take Jimmy's opinion for a slightly better than average opinion but he doesn't really attempt to get rid of the effects he doesn't like via setup changes. I understand his time is limited and he has other things to do which is fair. And it is another data point I am sure Reiza is keeping an eye on.

EDIT: Emptybox posted a two hour video on the DPI and he mentions how very much the same it feels to the iracing one. Emptybox has a smoother driving style compared to Jimmy so there is that.

Edited the post in order for it to make sense. I just got my covid jab and my mind is a bit foggy atm.

Last edited:
How could you make such senseless comment?
Please give some evidence.
Have you ever seen him work onhis own setups for any big event he was part of? Back when I still watched his channel, he always got his setups from his friends or teammates. But I'm always open to be proven wrong. If you have a video of him where he goes around the track and adjusts his cars setup to find a good balance - much like Aris does in his streams - or an event he took part in where he actually uses his own setup, let me know.

Decided to read the comments:
"Automobilista 2 is just Project Cars 2 with a more cartoony HUD..."

Ok.

And I think you don't really know AC keys success
Controversy lead to success.
Kunos advertised Assetto Corsa as a simulator, but almost everybody treat it like an arcade game. Most people just have fun drifting in it.

The forum is a poor representation of the current active players in Assetto Corsa. As pointed out, very few people take this game seriously for racing.

AMS2 crowd is a good representation of the racing simulator forum community. That's the exemplary result of gatekeeping. What I mean is simracing is a death genre.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play