AC Modding Questions Thread

unwrap finishings...
how can i make the nosecone into one mesh in the unwrap ?
see below:
scr7_unwrap.png

i started (after the said screenshot) using soft selection, but it's very long hand made work... was wondering if there is any magic tool to speed up the process :)

edit: could reach that point a lot of soft selection later...
scr7_unwrap2.png

the sides now, i have no idea how to (and if i want to) merge into one
Would it really be better to join those meshes on the UV map? It might be easier for skins, but there also is a lot more distortion that way. Any somewhat experienced skinner will be able to match two lines on different panels. Distorting a logo so it doesn't look distorted is a whole other skill level.
Looking great, though :)

Would it really be better to join those meshes on the UV map? It might be easier for skins, but there also is a lot more distortion that way. Any somewhat experienced skinner will be able to match two lines on different panels. Distorting a logo so it doesn't look distorted is a whole other skill level.
Looking great, though :)
very well then, it's settled, it will stay like that :D

unwrap finishings...
how can i make the nosecone into one mesh in the unwrap ?
see below:
scr7_unwrap.png

i started (after the said screenshot) using soft selection, but it's very long hand made work... was wondering if there is any magic tool to speed up the process :)

edit: could reach that point a lot of soft selection later...
scr7_unwrap2.png

the sides now, i have no idea how to (and if i want to) merge into one

Try to use the pelt mapping feature in 3dsmax! There are some good tutorials about pelt mapping. You´ll need some practice, but it´s much faster than the box mapping and welding. After that go to "Tools->Relax" to avoid distortion. Make sure you´ve selected "Relax By Face Angles".

Last edited:
Quick track question:
Is it possible to position grid starting spots in front of the start/finish timing objects?
E.g. the line is at the beginning of the start finish straight, the grid spots are at the end of that straight.

Yes, but until they cross the invisible line between AC_TIME_0_L and AC_TIME_0_R they won't start the lap. So they will effectively do a 'parade lap', cross the line and then start the race.

And how do modder themselfs open tracks? Lets say I want to edit the AI in the editor on an already existing track. How can I/modder do that without this ingame AI line option?

Quick track question:
Is it possible to position grid starting spots in front of the start/finish timing objects?
E.g. the line is at the beginning of the start finish straight, the grid spots are at the end of that straight.

Yes, but until they cross the invisible line between AC_TIME_0_L and AC_TIME_0_R they won't start the lap. So they will effectively do a 'parade lap', cross the line and then start the race.

As far as I remember the start\finish line is (partially?) behind the starting grid in both Spa and Monza, so I guess you don't need to go through it on the first lap to make it count.

Gentlemen,

I saw the mirror of the Caterham Academy was jiggling. How do you do such magic.
Question #1
How do i make mine jiggle? (nothing silly here)
Can you extend to having parts with gravity affecting mesh, or am i asking too much :D i had a pendant on my car, hanging from the mirror and i thought...

Question #2
How do you chose the model of your driver ? I have a formula one driver at the moment -_-
the skin.ini in the skins folders have a "[driver_60]" and suit gloves etc. for colors but doesn't seem to affect anything
[...] in driver3d.ini there is [model] and name=
my goodness i found it.
acs 2017-01-26 22-00-20-66.jpg

question #2b
any idea why it shows belt ON on the preview before the race?
acs 2017-01-26 21-19-53-58.jpg

Question #3
can i achieve a better result for the blur_rim ? or is it as good as it gets?
scr7_alloy_blur.jpg

Lets see.

Q1 - You can make things like the exhaust (or mirror) 'jiggle' through the damage.ini.
Try something like this - the importnant bits are min and full speed, as setting them both to -1 means the 'damage' is on all the time.

[VISUAL_OBJECT_0]
NAME=Exhaust1
STATIC_ROTATION_AXIS=-1,0,0
STATIC_ROTATION_ANGLE=0
MULT_G=0.1
DAMAGE_ZONE=REAR
MIN_SPEED=-1 ; three the most important values
FULL_SPEED=-1
ALLOWED_G=0,0,0
OSCILLATION_MIN_ANGLE=0
OSCILLATION_AXIS=0,-1,1 ; change this to choose axis
OSCILLATION_MAX_ANGLE=1 ; and this to change amplitude

Q2b - Have you done the 'cinture_on/off' thing? That allows you to have a mesh for the seatbelt on/off, for race/showroom respectively.

Q3 - Looks good to me, perhaps others have a better clue though. :)

Q1: I always had the urge to try and replicate the famous foxtail on the VLN Manta. It must be possible to control movement via g forces, right? Right? How cool would that be :)

Q3: I think it could use some more blur, but other than that it looks great.

And how do modder themselfs open tracks? Lets say I want to edit the AI in the editor on an already existing track. How can I/modder do that without this ingame AI line option?
You keep your source models and textures, work on it and create persistence files, which save your settings.

So you can't in this case.

Is there a way to have two different texture sets for the same object in AC? What I want is to have a UV map for the tileable textures such as cloth, leather and so on, and a different UV map for the AO. I pressume there is some way to combine both but as I'm new to all this texturing world I'm quite lost.
Edit: So I found the answer to my question. The detail texture slot is for tiles and its effect can be controlled by the detail multiplier, if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
Is there a way to have two different texture sets for the same object in AC? What I want is to have a UV map for the tileable textures such as cloth, leather and so on, and a different UV map for the AO. I pressume there is some way to combine both but as I'm new to all this texturing world I'm quite lost.
Edit: So I found the answer to my question. The detail texture slot is for tiles and its effect can be controlled by the detail multiplier, if I'm not mistaken.

I am interested as well in this, it would save textures and reduce file size in some case!
Indeed like you edited, some textures in ksEditor offer a "dirt" map, or a detail map that will be tilable in addition to the main diffuse map using the unwrapped you've done.
What you are (and i as well) asking is to use different channels in UV maps, like you can do in a 3D software such as 3Dsmax.
So far i couldn't find anything like this. And the tilable map channel won't take a normal map isn't it?
Let's say i wanted to make a AO for all my clothing interior with a 2048*2048 map
And i wanted to add a tilable tiny map of normal and diffuse for the cloth effect using a 256*256 tiled map (with both diffuse map, and a normal map)

Is such thing possible?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back