AC Modding Questions Thread

I would like to know one more thing.
How do I do let`s say a road (or some other object) that's not a finished loop (like additional access roads, which has its own beginning and its own end, its like a line)? I tried using s spline, but its not working (I think spline requires a closed loop) to then use Surface modifier, which is simple to use to adjust elevation).

Is there any advantage if I paint skins in "Kunos style"?
They don't include the main colour in the actual skin, but they do a black alpha channel for all the main colour parts and the main colour then comes from metal_detail. Is this better than normal painting, where I have the main colour on my skin itself and a completely white alpha channel?

If you do it that way you can use the metal detail texture to add close-up details (usually metal flake but carbon fibre and other stuff's also done)

If you do it that way you can use the metal detail texture to add close-up details (usually metal flake but carbon fibre and other stuff's also done)
Thanks.
I'm painting some 917's, the original skins have metal_details with a completely black alpha channel, so I guess it doen't make any difference, does it?

Actually the metal_detail alpha channel's used for specular control, the base rgb colour of it will still get multiplied in regardless. But if you replace it with one that has the metal speckles on it then that'll show up.

How to connect vertices to then create polys (with Editable Poly modifier)? So far this is now a "in-all-directions" curved spline. If I try to use a Subdivide modifier it does not work correctly, since it only adds flat surfaces, and some huge step in between because of the elevation. Surface modifier doesn`t work either.
I would have to connect bottom and top vertexes, so I can get a curved surface. But how?

ok5_1.jpg

ok5_2.jpg

So I tried to start 3D painting.Opened the 3D model with Photoshop CC, set the pic size to ~5000x4000 Px and created some Martini stripes in a new layer. When I "merged" it on the 3D model the result becomes edgy and ugly, anti-aliasing is completely missing. Do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

unbenannt55jxx.png

First of all, what you set as 5000x4000? If you mean the skin layer you have to set it at 2048x2048 or 4096x4096 or 8192x8192.
What you mean with merge? You don't have to merge anything, only save the modification then save the psd in order to keep your project available for further changes. For using it in AC you have to save it from skins to skins.dds

(Skins) can be called in a different way in some modded cars

This video can help you even is a bit older:

The image size (video @ 1:20) was set to 5000x4000. I've merged the Martini layer down on the 3D model (video @ 9:35).
With the exact same image size as in the video it worked out better for me although it's still not perfect.

i like this thread. I wish it was created sooner as i struggled on so many levels when i started my mod...

So here's one.
Yesterday proud moment to achieve kunos light black studio preview.
Only question regarding the custom camera, even though i copied/edited the ini file for the showroom_start and turned off the camera rotate and put 1 for custom camera, it still doesn't use the custom one when i load it, and still has the default spinning rotation on...
any idea?

How to connect vertices to then create polys (with Editable Poly modifier)? So far this is now a "in-all-directions" curved spline. If I try to use a Subdivide modifier it does not work correctly, since it only adds flat surfaces, and some huge step in between because of the elevation. Surface modifier doesn`t work either.
I would have to connect bottom and top vertexes, so I can get a curved surface. But how?

ok5_1.jpg

ok5_2.jpg
1/ Do you want to intersect your current spline with the outer line of the blue (road?) shape ?
2/ You then want to create clean mesh from a closed spline ? There is nothing to my knowledge that makes clean polygons. "Garment maker" modifier (only to a spline) is an example of filling randomly a surface with mesh; it's mostly used for clothe simulation. Truly if you want a clean mesh, you will have to convert to poly editable your spline. You obtain one polygon with lot of vertices, then you have to cut/connect manually (starting with a "inset" of one or few meters depending of your shape, can be a solid base to have exterior clean mesh)... and use the tool "relax" to smooth things. It's how i do grass landscape... manual labour, but how i get the most control of what i do.

edit: ok subdivide is a better solution/example than garmet maker!
If you worked your tangents good of your spline, with a good value to have just few edges in the middle, then using relax in poly editable is a quick way to get a quick idea of the land elevation.
But... i would still do it my way, manually cutting through etc.

quick subdivide+relax : not the cleanest :p
scr_mesh_subdivide.PNG

Last edited:
Time for another one: where are you guys getting the 3d people that I see in a few mod tracks? I recognize the marshal from AC tracks, but don't recognize the others. Anyone got a legal source for the models?

unwrap finishings...
how can i make the nosecone into one mesh in the unwrap ?
see below:
scr7_unwrap.png

i started (after the said screenshot) using soft selection, but it's very long hand made work... was wondering if there is any magic tool to speed up the process :)

edit: could reach that point a lot of soft selection later...
scr7_unwrap2.png

the sides now, i have no idea how to (and if i want to) merge into one

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back