Authorised Vendor Thanos AMC-AASD15A 6axis Servo Motion Controller

Small update on this amazing project:

View attachment 696259

Some small additions to this project...

IMG_20231202_082805.jpg

IMG_20231204_085632.jpg

I think there is no point talking FOV...

Taking this opportunity, I'll have to mention that we entering third month now, unable to keep any product in stock. Completely sold out, no matter if we tripled the production, backorders are piling up.

I can't thank you all enough for this unfettered interest in the Thanos products :thumbsup:

We hope to have more stock available this week for AMC-AASD15A controllers, and more Thanos4U controllers early January... Any backorder placed will be fulfilled first come first serve, no exceptions.

Last edited:
Hi Thanos -
I have built a TL / surge platform using 90st motors and gx150 rails connected to ports 5 and 6 of the AMC unit, respectively—belt tensioner on 7, if that matters.

I’m struggling to figure out how to set the calibration and park points on the TL/surge motors. I power up and the two motors calibrate to the full extension of the rail, which throws my platform off its rollers. Is there a setting in the software I should be using? On the controllers themselves? And if this matters, I have everything mounted to the middle of the GX150 rails. I could certainly move the mounting points to mechanically limit the calibration point, then assuming I just need to adjust total travel and parking position in the Thanos unit? (Kind of speaking out loud, hope I’m making sense)

Thanks!

Hi Thanos -
I have built a TL / surge platform using 90st motors and gx150 rails connected to ports 5 and 6 of the AMC unit, respectively—belt tensioner on 7, if that matters.

I’m struggling to figure out how to set the calibration and park points on the TL/surge motors. I power up and the two motors calibrate to the full extension of the rail, which throws my platform off its rollers. Is there a setting in the software I should be using? On the controllers themselves? And if this matters, I have everything mounted to the middle of the GX150 rails. I could certainly move the mounting points to mechanically limit the calibration point, then assuming I just need to adjust total travel and parking position in the Thanos unit? (Kind of speaking out loud, hope I’m making sense)

Thanks!

I haven't seen your rig (some photos or video would definitely help), but sounds like you don't have hard stops on these rail/actuators... On power up of the servos, they normally fully retract against the hard stop to assume that as a home position and the Thanos controller then knows how much it can move them according to the stroke/leadscrew settings.

Here's a video that might help with the confusion:

If you are using an actuator with no hard stops, you could wire limit switch to signal the home position instead of torque. There is information in the manual where you can wire these (ext1, ext2 etc..)

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm all cleared up. Just needed to update/rearrange my mounting approach. I let the rails hit the hard stop, coded the Thanos unit to give them 200mm of stroke, then mounted everything in the correct spot. Everything seems to work appropriately.

Love the Thanos. I feel like my little guy is a workhorse about to run 7 actuators full time :)

Side question: Any way to flip the on-board LCD text ? I mounted my unit upside down but makes it hard to read.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm all cleared up. Just needed to update/rearrange my mounting approach. I let the rails hit the hard stop, coded the Thanos unit to give them 200mm of stroke, then mounted everything in the correct spot. Everything seems to work appropriately.

Love the Thanos. I feel like my little guy is a workhorse about to run 7 actuators full time :)

Side question: Any way to flip the on-board LCD text ? I mounted my unit upside down but makes it hard to read.

No sorry, the LCD text is hard-coded, and cannot change it's orientation.

But glad everything worked out fine!

Last edited:
@Tronicgr_6DOF
Hello Thanos, first of all best wishes for this new year, I currently have a rig with 4 80st-m02430 and aasd15a drivers, it also has a TL and a belt tensioner with the same materials.

Everything works with two Leonardo Arduinos, one for the dofs and the other for the belt tensioner and everything is operated thanks to flypt.

However, certain glitches, disconnections, PC crashes, etc. often occur.
This is why I am considering buying a thanos controller but I would like to make sure that it will be compatible with my hardware without having to integrate specific coding or other, I then plan to make everything work either with srs or with flypt , can you please confirm to me that the whole thing will work?

I was able to read here that the thanos controller will be able to compensate for a PC crash in order to avoid any disconnections with the platform because it works independently, is this true?

Thanks for all the details.

Attachments

• 17042648896238578855012655216680.jpg
    17042648896238578855012655216680.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 32
@Tronicgr_6DOF
Hello Thanos, first of all best wishes for this new year, I currently have a rig with 4 80st-m02430 and aasd15a drivers, it also has a TL and a belt tensioner with the same materials.

Everything works with two Leonardo Arduinos, one for the dofs and the other for the belt tensioner and everything is operated thanks to flypt.

However, certain glitches, disconnections, PC crashes, etc. often occur.
This is why I am considering buying a thanos controller but I would like to make sure that it will be compatible with my hardware without having to integrate specific coding or other, I then plan to make everything work either with srs or with flypt , can you please confirm to me that the whole thing will work?

I was able to read here that the thanos controller will be able to compensate for a PC crash in order to avoid any disconnections with the platform because it works independently, is this true?

Thanks for all the details.

Yes, a single Thanos controller (AMC-AASD15A) can control all your actuators, no problem. And it has additional manual controls for your belt tensioner (position trim switches even during game).

Additionally you can enable a "platform check" option, to safely park the remaining actuators if a single servo fails with alarm (goes offline), and it will automatically park your actuators when connection to the PC or motion software is lost. You can use a powered USB hub for this to ensure the power to the controller is independent from the PC.

Lot's of safety features as well, like using the e-stop to hold position instead of cutting off the power to the motors, to avoid dropping of the cockpit, or if you want, you can use the "Force Offline" switch, to pause the motion without closing the game or the motion software (can ignore the motion cue data).

Thanks
Thanos

Last edited:
Yes, a single Thanos controller (AMC-AASD15A) can control all your actuators, no problem. And it has additional manual controls for your belt tensioner (position trim switches even during game).

Additionally you can enable a "platform check" option, to safely park the remaining actuators if a single servo fails with alarm (goes offline), and it will automatically park your actuators when connection to the PC or motion software is lost. You can use a powered USB hub for this to ensure the power to the controller is independent from the PC.

Lot's of safety features as well, like using the e-stop to hold position instead of cutting off the power to the motors, to avoid dropping of the cockpit, or if you want, you can use the "Force Offline" switch, to pause the motion without closing the game or the motion software (can ignore the motion cue data).

Thanks
Thanos
ah great, thank you thank you for your answer, where did I find all the configuration details for the card and the servos? Do you have a link please?

on the other hand, how does it receive telemetry data from the PC if it is connected to an independent powered USB hub?

Last edited:
ah great, thank you thank you for your answer, where did I find all the configuration details for the card and the servos? Do you have a link please?

on the other hand, how does it receive telemetry data from the PC if it is connected to an independent powered USB hub?

Did you try looking in the manual? It has all the information you need for the AASD-15A servo parameters, and wiring.

Although you can get ready made off the shelve Male-male straight through cables (all 25 pins through), that are typical for use in computers (parallel scsi interfaces etc). The Thanos controller DB25 ports have same pinout like the AASD-15A drives to make it as plug an play experience is possible. If you insist making custom DB25 data cables, you can see the wiring pinout here.

The powered USB Hub is still acting like a hub for data etc, just not powered from the PC USB port. So it can still keep providing power to the Thanos controller since it uses its own power supply. See one example that also has buttons to power off devices without unplugging the usb cables.
powered_USB_hub.jpg

Thanks
Thanos

Did you try looking in the manual? It has all the information you need for the AASD-15A servo parameters, and wiring.

Although you can get ready made off the shelve Male-male straight through cables (all 25 pins through), that are typical for use in computers (parallel scsi interfaces etc). The Thanos controller DB25 ports have same pinout like the AASD-15A drives to make it as plug an play experience is possible. If you insist making custom DB25 data cables, you can see the wiring pinout here.

The powered USB Hub is still acting like a hub for data etc, just not powered from the PC USB port. So it can still keep providing power to the Thanos controller since it uses its own power supply. See one example that also has buttons to power off devices without unplugging the usb cables.
View attachment 718830

Thanks
Thanos
okay I already have the hardware routed currently because it is functional I just want to switch to the thanos controller, but I don't know how to configure because they are st80 and I believe they have a total stroke of 220mm, I I'm not an expert in the field if you could help me configure so that I don't do anything stupid I can send you different screenshots of my current parameters in flypt (privately?) because in your manual it talks about the race for the sfx100 and pt actuator, and also I will need to know if I should take the same settings from the aasd15a as for the sfx100?

this is my current pcb with an arduino leonard board

Attachments

• 20240104_010629.jpg
    20240104_010629.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
okay I already have the hardware routed currently because it is functional I just want to switch to the thanos controller, but I don't know how to configure because they are st80 and I believe they have a total stroke of 220mm, I I'm not an expert in the field if you could help me configure so that I don't do anything stupid I can send you different screenshots of my current parameters in flypt (privately?) because in your manual it talks about the race for the sfx100 and pt actuator, and also I will need to know if I should take the same settings from the aasd15a as for the sfx100?

this is my current pcb with an arduino leonard board

The stroke is defined in the Thanos controller, can do from 10mm up to 640mm long actuators (for 1605 leadscrew).

You can always ask quick questions and get answers faster on my Discord server, join here: https://discord.com/invite/bx4PxYR

The stroke is defined in the Thanos controller, can do from 10mm up to 640mm long actuators (for 1605 leadscrew).

You can always ask quick questions and get answers faster on my Discord server, join here: https://discord.com/invite/bx4PxYR
thank you, that's really nice, but I don't have access to the lounge,I don't have permission.. can you check that for me please? (tina540)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240104_074626_Discord.jpg
    Screenshot_20240104_074626_Discord.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20240104_074613_Discord.jpg
    Screenshot_20240104_074613_Discord.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No