Authorised Vendor Thanos AMC-AASD15A 6axis Servo Motion Controller

Something out of the norm? I've never noticed on mine whether it's right or wrong,

No its all good, just a normal behavior. It was programmed this way to avoid having the actuator move back to target in full speed (by motion data), if someone engages the E-stop and disengage the E-stop while still running the game. Or if one of the servos peak load and shows an alarm that needs power-cycle to clear...

Anyway, I just added option to have E-Stop act as HOLD position POWERED, that does not require recalibration of the actuators...;)

You'll see in a few days where I'll release stable v2.08.

Still planning my build on paper, I am an instrumentation engineer so want to do all wiring ‘properly’ including EMI shielding. :whistling:

I want to know how many of the encoder wires are used on the CN3 15 pin plug on the controllers?

I’m referring to the standard 90ST-M02430 kits most people are buying. Plan to use the Thanos controller to simplify everything too.:thumbsup:

No its all good, just a normal behavior. It was programmed this way to avoid having the actuator move back to target in full speed (by motion data), if someone engages the E-stop and disengage the E-stop while still running the game. Or if one of the servos peak load and shows an alarm that needs power-cycle to clear...

Anyway, I just added option to have E-Stop act as HOLD position POWERED, that does not require recalibration of the actuators...;)

You'll see in a few days where I'll release stable v2.08.
What? No 3-4” dead drop? Exactly why I stopped using the estop and when to the offline switch, which works masterfully well btw.

Still planning my build on paper, I am an instrumentation engineer so want to do all wiring ‘properly’ including EMI shielding. :whistling:

I want to know how many of the encoder wires are used on the CN3 15 pin plug on the controllers?

I’m referring to the standard 90ST-M02430 kits most people are buying. Plan to use the Thanos controller to simplify everything too.:thumbsup:

You don't need to replace the encoder cable of these motors, it already has shielding, and from my measurements I didn't see any EMI noise transmitted by them. The one cable that needs to be shielded is the 4 wire Power cable of the motor.

Thanks
Thanos

Hi everybody. Its time to update the firmware of your AMC-AASD15A!!

There are other things that wanted to add, but this update was long due now so I released the most important features for now:
-Additional functionality on E-Stop and Force Offline inputs.
-Addition of calculations for easy use with Gearbox reduction rotary actuators.

Download the firmware file and the bootloader utility and unzip them. You can watch this video if you haven't updated the firmware before: Firmware update procedure for AMC-AASD15A

https://github.com/tronicgr/AMC-AASD15A-Firmware/tree/master/Latest_firmware

Here is the list of changes for the new firmware v2.08:

======= enc_6dof_AMC_AASD15A_v2_08 =======
release date: 01/22/2020:
-Added option for KLM input (e-stop) to either HOLD powered position or Kill power to the Motors
-Added option for FSW input (Force offline) to either Always Park or let user use park/standby button.
-Added Actuator type selection for Linear or Rotary type (gearbox reduction). The menus are showing new options fit for describing the gearbox like reduction Ratio, Steps of the motor and output Angle range as well the CW or CCW direction of the motor.

example calculation for gearbox:
(500pulses / 360 ) * 180degrees = 250 Pulses
250Pulses * (50:1 Reduction) = 12500 Pulses
*keep in mind that the max pulses buffer that AMC-AASD15A can use is 65535!

Thanks
Thanos

The AMC-AASD15A will be available now with Servo7-aux connector included, on the little PCB board already soldered, ready to plug and mount on the 3D printed enclosure.

20200124_054712_sm.jpg

Thanks
Thanos

Ha, nice ;)

I ordered those little pieces from Oshpark, I don’t need it immediately, but good for when I do my tensioner.

Anyway, your controller should be delivered this week, I suspect I might get the Argon going without any fw changes. Will do some testing and let you know.

Cheers,
Beano

So soon after the release of firmware v2.08, I already have a beta version for anyone willing to test. It fixes this blocking one by one movement of actuators after they calibrate, if non-powered e-stop is used that leads to calibration. Please let me know if that works better:

*EDIT... seems its working fine after all:

Thanks
Thanos

Last edited:
Some update on the other request, a little bit of hardware filtering for the AMC-AASD15A... I'm working on it and soon beta firmware will be available for testing. I'll be adding a simple moving average filter first, to smooth out spikes while keeping the response latency of the system low. It will be adjustable to let the user choose the intensity...

IMG_20200127_133146.jpg

Thanks
Thanos

Here is the results of using the new rolling average filter on a large Closed-Loop stepper motor (Nema34). It definately inproves the quality of motion!!! Note these closed loop steppers can reach up to 3000RPM, have lots of rotor inertia and without proper acceleration-deceleration slopes, they overshoot too much !!!!!

These closed loop stepper motors, are hybrid servo motors, meaning to be used as constant speed (pulse rate) and have NO proper PID control so they lack acceleration-deceleration properties and pulse signal smoothing. Still much more noisy in my opinion that the real servomotor solutions.

Thanks
Thanos

Last edited:
I needed a better e-stop button box that had the LED indication lights on it and a Discord member made and send me this:

Thanks
Thanos

I tried it on difeerent enclosures and even another servo controller (Different type, non AASD) and works like a charm!

And some details how the RJ12 connector is mounted inside the metal enclosure:

Thanks
Thanos

Watch how to setup the stroke on unknown actuator, even if you don't know the leadscrew pitch value. Also a bit of demonstration of the difference between using the E-stop with non-powered servo or Hold position mode...

Thanks
Thanos

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes