Authorised Vendor Thanos AMC-AASD15A 6axis Servo Motion Controller

Yes, but you will have to unsolder the connectors, jacket the cables and then solder the connectors back again... Perhaps a little too much work...
Perhaps you could unscrew the motor power cable from the driver and put the jacket over the wires and cable: no soldering needed. I would use tape for the other cable as it has way to much wires in the cable.

Now, this is kind of a stupid question, but if I buy PT-actuators kit with this controller, what software there? How does it communicate with games?

Last edited:
Now, this is kind of a stupid question, but if I buy PT-actuators kit with this controller, what software there? How does it communicate with games?

Thanos is correct, above. Just to be very clear. The PT actuators and the homebuilt systems (SFX style, etc.) are not plug and play. They require a bit of work on your end to get software up and running. Thanos system interfaces with your games via "Simtools" software or the new FlyPT Mover software (developed mainly for flight sims and 6DOF systems).

Most folks to date are using Simtools, just because it's been out for several years. There's several parts to Simtools, and there is a learning curve, so you're prepared. First you interface the controller to Simtools. Then, you download "plugins" for your specific games, and setup the software to your preference. This takes a bit of time, too. Tuning software for each Sim takes a bit of trial and testing. Fortunately, others have already done this for most of the common sims, and there's a large community to help, including settings for each Sim.

Thanos' discord page hosts several subpages dedicated to various sims, and many of those have suggested settings. In addition, Simtools has an entire Forum, with many FAQs, plugins, downloads, and everything else devoted to this software. Simtools began as a DIY motion simulator solution, and you'll find an overwhelming amount of info in their forum, XSimulator.net

Good luck.

Thanos is correct, above. Just to be very clear. The PT actuators and the homebuilt systems (SFX style, etc.) are not plug and play. They require a bit of work on your end to get software up and running. Thanos system interfaces with your games via "Simtools" software or the new FlyPT Mover software (developed mainly for flight sims and 6DOF systems).

Thanks, that is a great answer and really clear up a lot of things for me. I'm not adverse to a bit of tinkering, especially on the software side of things. I'll have to look into this a bit better!

The encoder cable produces EMI as well, it was clearly visible on my son's oscilloscope as narrow spikes. About the same mV as the power cable's EMI. So I presume the shielding isn't the best. The power cables emit a 'distorted' sine wave which is much worse than the encoder cable, that's true.

Forgive this post in this thread, but I thought it important to answer a question that was raised in a different thread in this sub-forum, why use the Thanos controller for SFX actuators? That's a very good question, and deserves a serious answer. Probably better to put that answer here, frankly.

I've been running Thanos controller since I finished my SFX-style DIY actuator build in late June. It's worked flawlessly. The advantages to this are numerous, which I list in detail below. As far are wiring and hardware goes, it's plug and play. No need for any soldering or burning images to Arduino builds, etc. Hook everything up with standard connectors, and it's ready for software and interface.

Here's a more detailed list of what this controller brings compared to the standard build:

1) The AMC-AASD15A controller has built-in safety. It auto-calibrates each actuator on startup, and knows the absolute position of each. Unlike the Arduino, this controller ensures the sliders won't be driven into the ends of the actuator. This has happened on SFX-100 builds, and has broken parts.

2) You can set actuator stroke to any arbitrary value as part of setup. SFX actuators are capable of 110 mm, which I'm using on my setup. The Aruduino build is currently hard-coded to 100mm.

3) This controller uses Simtools. Simtools is extremely flexible, with many tuning options. There's a large community supporting this (see XSimulator.net). Simtools is also open source, unlike the restricted software on the standard SFX-100 build. The Simtools community is orders-of-magnitude larger than any other open-source motion software.

4) The AMC-AASD15A controller is truly plug-n-play. No wiring. You just hook up to your PC via USB, and your controllers via DB25 and you're working. It also has independent test capability built-in, so you can test your SFX setup during the build without the need to hook up or download anything to your PC.

5) The AMC-AASD15A controller has a lovely 2-line LCD display, that let's you know if you're online, recieving data, etc. In addition, it has easy-to-use controls, including a button "pad" and 2-way dial/enter button. Super-helpful for setup and testing. He also has a fantastic 3D printed case, to fit his controller; STL files are avilable from his github.

6) This controller is programmed in assembly language, and capable of very fast updates to the motors. This is good for capturing very fine details, etc. The "tactile" sense I get from his controller is uncanny, much like the fast updates on a DD wheel.

7) This controller supports up to 7 axis, with 6 ready-to-go right on the board. If you want to add traction loss or a seabelt tensioner, it's all ready for this, including Simtools support for these functions. Alternately, you could use 2 extra axis for a seat-mover in addition to the SFX actuators. I've done my SFX setup with my older NLR v3 motion chair, and the combination is fantastic. I know folks have said they prefer SFX w/o the chair, but my extensive testing has shown the chair is a nice addition, handling surge and sway very realistically with a greater range of motion than the SFX can provide to these forces.

8) This controller has auto park and ready functions, and included a flexible safety switch to return the platform to the parked position, even with telemetry data being transmitted, no need to interrupt the game or interfere on the software side at all.

9) The controller separates the motor from the USB grounds. This is a HUGE issue with the standard Arduino, and leads to ground loops and an annoying hum for many in that system. I'm not aware of any reports of loud hum when using the Thanos controller. Thanos went to great lengths to properly design this circuit for only one thing: controlling AC motors safely, rapidly, and with proper circuit engineering.

In sum, I'll simply state the Thano's controller has worked flawlessly with my SFX build for well over three months. It's been rock solid, and the display provides a constant update on the status of my system. Highly, highly recommended.

Forgive this post in this thread, but I thought it important to answer a question that was raised in a different thread in this sub-forum, why use the Thanos controller for SFX actuators? That's a very good question, and deserves a serious answer. Probably better to put that answer here, frankly.

I've been running Thanos controller since I finished my SFX-style DIY actuator build in late June. It's worked flawlessly. The advantages to this are numerous, which I list in detail below. As far are wiring and hardware goes, it's plug and play. No need for any soldering or burning images to Arduino builds, etc. Hook everything up with standard connectors, and it's ready for software and interface.

Here's a more detailed list of what this controller brings compared to the standard build:

1) The AMC-AASD15A controller has built-in safety. It auto-calibrates each actuator on startup, and knows the absolute position of each. Unlike the Arduino, this controller ensures the sliders won't be driven into the ends of the actuator. This has happened on SFX-100 builds, and has broken parts.

2) You can set actuator stroke to any arbitrary value as part of setup. SFX actuators are capable of 110 mm, which I'm using on my setup. The Aruduino build is currently hard-coded to 100mm.

3) This controller uses Simtools. Simtools is extremely flexible, with many tuning options. There's a large community supporting this (see XSimulator.net). Simtools is also open source, unlike the restricted software on the standard SFX-100 build. The Simtools community is orders-of-magnitude larger than any other open-source motion software.

4) The AMC-AASD15A controller is truly plug-n-play. No wiring. You just hook up to your PC via USB, and your controllers via DB25 and you're working. It also has independent test capability built-in, so you can test your SFX setup during the build without the need to hook up or download anything to your PC.

5) The AMC-AASD15A controller has a lovely 2-line LCD display, that let's you know if you're online, recieving data, etc. In addition, it has easy-to-use controls, including a button "pad" and 2-way dial/enter button. Super-helpful for setup and testing. He also has a fantastic 3D printed case, to fit his controller; STL files are avilable from his github.

6) This controller is programmed in assembly language, and capable of very fast updates to the motors. This is good for capturing very fine details, etc. The "tactile" sense I get from his controller is uncanny, much like the fast updates on a DD wheel.

7) This controller supports up to 7 axis, with 6 ready-to-go right on the board. If you want to add traction loss or a seabelt tensioner, it's all ready for this, including Simtools support for these functions. Alternately, you could use 2 extra axis for a seat-mover in addition to the SFX actuators. I've done my SFX setup with my older NLR v3 motion chair, and the combination is fantastic. I know folks have said they prefer SFX w/o the chair, but my extensive testing has shown the chair is a nice addition, handling surge and sway very realistically with a greater range of motion than the SFX can provide to these forces.

8) This controller has auto park and ready functions, and included a flexible safety switch to return the platform to the parked position, even with telemetry data being transmitted, no need to interrupt the game or interfere on the software side at all.

9) The controller separates the motor from the USB grounds. This is a HUGE issue with the standard Arduino, and leads to ground loops and an annoying hum for many in that system. I'm not aware of any reports of loud hum when using the Thanos controller. Thanos went to great lengths to properly design this circuit for only one thing: controlling AC motors safely, rapidly, and with proper circuit engineering.

In sum, I'll simply state the Thano's controller has worked flawlessly with my SFX build for well over three months. It's been rock solid, and the display provides a constant update on the status of my system. Highly, highly recommended.

No worries, truth to be said. And just to add, more and more ex-Simfeedback users start coming out now showing their upgraded systems...

Just a reminder, when you switch between the servo controller and the SFX-100 Arduino controller. Don't forget to step on the actuators to position them to fully down position!! There is no calibration procedure!! https://opensfx.com/simfeedback-setup-and-tuning/#safety_notice

SFX100 - Safety notice.jpg

Last edited:
@Tronicgr_6DOF Why the recent jabs at the SFX stuff?

There's no need to do that. Both systems can co exist at their price points and anyone that does their research can work out the pros and cons of each.

It'll be a shame to see people taking sides or start knocking others that may have made different choices :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back