Authorised Vendor Thanos AMC-AASD15A 6axis Servo Motion Controller

Hi Thanos, thanks for the support! I am using 110v for the computer and periphery and 220v for the AASD20a servo drives.

The motors have 3d printed plastic mounts that the bolts thread into and have the common motor couplers with the red plastic that isolates it from the actuator. Thus, there is nothing conductive to connect the motor to the rig.

Good call on the filtered power strip and ferrite cores for the drive I have ordered the strip.
I actually plan on using these low frequency ferrite rings since we are dealing with a servo amp that switches in the audible range,

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...zzKrGIzVPhI3qUArTHoOzAsHmtm%2BYn7uUNNHABoXA==

and for the usb cables

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...daNn6qQgVUTHSRfcjoykFClfljHQADHE1MEDQEh0D1w==

based on the description here (being sure to not include the ground wire)

https://granitedevices.com/wiki/EMI_suppression_cores

I found this video to be an excellent resource as well.

As for the reactor, I will look into it if the things above don’t fix it. We might even have one floating around the shop that I could do an A/B test with.

Above all replacing the motor power wires with actual shielded wires should make a drastic difference.

I will keep you all posted.

I'm designing a small PCB that can be used to replace the wires for the servo7-aux port. I made it fit on the new 3Dprinted enclosure distances etc. I'll order a few for fitting test and will share on OSHPARK for anyone wants to build them as well.

IMG_20190911_112805.jpg

Thanks
Thanos

I can check but I doubt it. I did run things as a test on 110 for everything off the same circuit with all the same crazy issues. Simple check though so I'll update. The rig is currently down while I cut out and rewire the motors power wires with shielded wire. I had to do the same thing to my mige direct drive in order to get vr to work consistently. All the filter and choke stuff is in already. I don't have much time for the next few days so it will be a while before I see the results.

@cfischer9009 It was just a thought as I would imagine that could cause grounding problems (since I have grounding problems even on 2 x 220V). Are these the AASDA15A standard 90 flange motors that we are all using for the SFX100 project? I had some initial issues with the Stock SFX100 interface but the AMC interface/simtools went without a hitch (no extra shielding, no separation of power, signal, USB cables). I do have my 6U network rack case grounded, and that is also grounded to the rig. The PC and Pimax 5K+ power supply are also on a more expensive Blekin power strip with some EMI filtering.

There's been some similar dicussions on Discord regarding EMI/grounding issues on the stock SFX interface (Arduino + Simfeedback). Switching to Thanos' controller seems to solve many of these problems. Thanos has talked a lot about proper grounding with USB-connected devices, and went to great lengths to design proper grounds in his board. Just FYI, yet another advantage of Thano's interface for DIY SFX-style actuator systems.

There's been some similar dicussions on Discord regarding EMI/grounding issues on the stock SFX interface (Arduino + Simfeedback). Switching to Thanos' controller seems to solve many of these problems. Thanos has talked a lot about proper grounding with USB-connected devices, and went to great lengths to design proper grounds in his board. Just FYI, yet another advantage of Thano's interface for DIY SFX-style actuator systems.

Correct, the AMC does not share the ground with the servomotor ground (motor housing). Yet, there maybe other devices that share the ground, like steering wheels that use servomotor that is touching the rig metal frame and can create ground loops to the computer via their USB control device... The results is often connection loss, buttons ghosting, or even affect the operation of the controller even if its not the one that creating the problem.

Last edited:
Just to let US based AASD-15A owners, there is a way to power the drives from 110v instead of using power converters from 110v to 220v...

It simple as setting Pn083=100
The Pn083 is the undervoltage alarm and should be set 10v or 20v lower than the working voltage. So by setting that to 100v you are able to power the AASD-15A with 110v US power directly.

And some bonus good news for US based AASD-15A owners, powering it with 110v lowers the whining noise in half because of the lower voltage swing of the PWM inside the drive. Tested and verified... :cool:

Thanks
Thanos

Wow, that's awesome!! I was just thinking how the eff I was going to run a 220V line to my sim. One less thing to deal with.
What amp breaker would you think this should be on? As you mention there would be more current draw with 110V.

For those still using the SFX / Arduino controller:
I just recently switched my SFX-100 platform over to the Thanos Controller with the Thanos designed 3d enclosure and a button box for all of the associated e-stops, switches, and status LEDs.
I've only had a little bit of time on the sim since the conversion but from the time I have had I can say there is a noticeable difference and I'm still at the 'basic" level.
The pics are of the Thanos controller on the left and the button box I created for it on the right. It has since been permanently mounted on my rig.
9AD2C9AC-69D6-48A5-8116-CBCDC0DF8C9A.JPG
9ADEC699-E4AD-4CD1-ADF8-8E8D0D608020.JPG
A44F689C-8F11-455D-80C7-F9460877590C.JPG

The AMC-AASD15A controller is back in stock again:
https://www.tindie.com/products/tronicgr/amc-aasd15a-servo-motion-controller/

New firmware under beta will be released in stable as soon its fully tested. For the brave one you can give it a try here: https://github.com/tronicgr/AMC-AASD15A-Firmware/tree/master/Beta_Firmware

======= enc_6dof_AMC_AASD15A_v2_06 BETA =======
release date: 09/23/2019:
-Added support for 2525 leadscrew (25mm/rev).
-Added support for different reduction belt ratios (1:1, 1:1.5, 1:2)
-Added support for Platform check. Will Park active actuators if any of them fail.
Selectable by Menu Entry ON or OFF.
-Fixed a bug saving stroke and direction of Servo7.
-Attached the speed of blinking of the Standby LED on the ButtonSpeed setting.

Thanks
Thanos

Hi Thanos,
I downloaded from somewhere a wiring diagram for the emergency button and indicator lights for the AMC MBox, can't remember where. I was looking some extra info:
- there is mention of a 1microF cap on the emergeny button drawing: any particular specs on that?
- the Led wiring diagram show a dual MOS driver print: any specs on this and where to find
thanks

EDIT: discard post: ok just found it, was mentioned on your github page. apologies

Last edited:
Hi Thanos,

is it possible to use two AASD controllers on one setup? If I was intending on using one controller for a 6dof and then another controller to look after a gseat and belt tensioner? giving a total of 12 motors, would the system (simtools / PC) be confused seeing two devices?

thanks, Philip

Hi Thanos,

is it possible to use two AASD controllers on one setup? If I was intending on using one controller for a 6dof and then another controller to look after a gseat and belt tensioner? giving a total of 12 motors, would the system (simtools / PC) be confused seeing two devices?

thanks, Philip

Yes, you can use two servo controllers on Simtools each one on different interface:
Interface1 and Interface2

And then assign to one of them Axis1a, Axis2a, Axis3a, Axis4a, Axis5a, Axis6a and to the second one Axis1b, Axis2b, Axis3b, Axis4b, Axis5b, Axis6b to have the 12 axis outputs you need and mix them as needed.

Simtools is very flexible software and can handle up to 6 different interfaces (controllers), but the limit is still 12 axis.

Thanks
Thanos

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back