Test/Practise Race Bahrain 10th July

I wrongly assumed that more would think like me. But I never intended to overrule any majority, I just shared my own thoughts like everyone else.

No problem at all.

I think if we could work out quickly which tyre wear is best, we could hopefully have an early agreement which one to use next season. So the new agreed degradation rate could allready be used in pre season tests then...

In opposite to last season, when the decisoin for the F3000 was done extremly late, this time we have the time to figure this out early and focus on preparation later.

thats the plan reik :thumbsup:

if you remember last season or the season before i arranged races up until the season start, we used the first 3 tracks in backwards sequence and it led us to having practise for the season opener 2 weeks before the season started which was ideal as we were all prepared.

ill arrange the same again so we all have oppertunity to practise what we'll be using, but reik is right about getting the tyre decisions out of the way quickly, then we can settle into a practise routine earlier and know whats happening asap.

hopefully it will take us 1-2 races maximum to get an idea of what we will be doing so still plenty time to practise season 11 tracks closer to the time, might even throw in a fun race during summer with the radicals or something for a laugh :)

To discuss the details of the test:
In my head it is one thing that is more important than all other, namely to compare 1, 2 and possibly 3 stops and see what the difference is, eg:

1 stop = + 5 sec
2 stops = 0
3 stops = +10 sec

to do this we need to pair up with someone that have the same relative pace. For my part I would strive to reach the pace of eg. Anthony and then chose a different strategy to him.

I do not know is this way of testing differs from what others are thinking, again, this is only my thoughts. But we need to be clear on these things to get maximum out of the test.

if you have a clear idea of how we should split strategies nico then im all for you taking on that part, my plan was to try copy my race in season 10, go for 1 stop while driving the car to the maximum and seeing what tyres i had left compared to season 10, my bahrain stints showed an average wear of 28%, with x2 wear id be looking for that to be roughly 40-50% wear over a stint which might make some laps hairy or it might enable me to pit an extra time.

i'll be happy to go with what the majority wants tho if we are allocated strategies to follow then thats what i'll do :thumbsup:

if you have a clear idea of how we should split strategies nico then im all for you taking on that part,

To explain my thinking:
What I ultimately want to learn is what combo of settings (tyre wear, race length and pit speed limit) will at Bahrain give us a close to perfect balance between 1 and 2 stops, or 2 and 3 stops (or dear we hope for a balance between 1, 2 AND 3 stops:confused: ).

A very good way to collect data is to have 10 well prepared and consistent drivers doing 3 races with the same settings, one race with 1 stop, one with 2 stops and one with 3 stops. And the races should be done offline/alone to avoid traffic etc. and in random order.

Assuming that all 10 drivers do 3 perfect (consistent, no mistakes) races each, we would get extremely useful and accurate data. I'll give you a fictional example to illustrate:

Obviously we are not planning to do what is described above, because it is a bit boring and also unrealistic to achieve. My suggestion to pair equal drivers is built on the same thinking though, although the data collected will naturally be much rougher (but still a good indication).

To pair (or triple) drivers we would obviously need to know the general race pace of the various drivers, something that for many is an unknown until race day. I do not intend to orchestrate this and tell who should do 1 and 2 and 3 stops. I will rather strongly encourage other drivers who have someone they are very equal to, to agree on different strategies to see who will be better off. The more pairs we have doing this, the stronger the data will be (naturally).

Lastly, this can obviously be done in combination with other tests, eg. if it turns out that Reik and David are very equal in pace, they can agree that David does a 1 stop and Reik a 2 stop, thus allowing David to compare his time with season 10 at the same time as we'll see which of them will beat the other, and by how much.

Im quite happy race whatever strategy :thumbsup: if we get a few doing each 1x 2x 3x like Nicos master plan we should get a idea of what was possible afterwards, also if any mistakes etc not to do with tires we can guestimate what the time loss for a particular mistake, so not to take away from what might have been possible to.

Also What if we do Front row 3 stop, 2nd row 2 stop, 3rd row 1 stop this may make it optimal chance to get away lighter strategy to see if it would work.
Nice and simple takes the choice out of it :D and gets 3 pairs on each strategy at front of grid :thumbsup:

Also What if we do Front row 3 stop, 2nd row 2 stop, 3rd row 1 stop this may make it optimal chance to get away lighter strategy to see if it would work.
Nice and simple takes the choice out of it :D and gets 3 pairs on each strategy at front of grid :thumbsup:

That would be spectacular, especially if all 6 "aliens" (Sean, David, Reik, Helder, Marko and Dino) are present and close in times :)

An excellent idea by Nicolai :thumbsup: and good idea Sean , and pairing drivers with equal speed wont be that hard as we all know who we raced with on track most of the time during the season , so best way is each driver picks his partner that he knows best from the list to team up with and if a driver is left with no partner he can join a pair on a 3rd strategy - I am happy to team up with you Nicolai for a different strategy as our speed is equal - ,and for Bahrain I wish Valter can join us as well as I remember we had a great fight there and would be great to have him on the 3rd strategy with us for a stronger data collection , hope the rest of the drivers can join as well to fill the field, I remember we had a great race at Bahrain and the field was very close.

is it possible to move the race time at least 1 hour later ? it is a bit hard to be up at 4 AM in this cold winter over here :sleep::geek:

1. David Turnbull
2. Jim Hawley
3. Reik Major
4. Helder Filipe
5. Sean Greenlaw
6. Dino Paolini
7. Valerio Vinassa
8. Nicolas Rougé
9. Nicolai Nicholson
10. Anthony Ishak

Test Race Bahrain 10th July

Car - F3000
Track - Bahrain
Duration - 67 minutes
Weather - Dry
Tyre wear - x 2
Fuel use - x 1

just to refresh this, the session info is as above, date will stay unchanged but times can be altered slightly if need be, we need everyone to agree that a 1 hour later start is fine before we go ahead, so if everyone can let us know in plenty of time please :)

the strategies used on the day are still to be arranged.........

I would like to team up with Nicolai and Anthony too if its done in a time zone that fits us. Our pace was close in many tracks. Question is, will there be many servers so every pairs race at the same day/time? Or do we plan to race with our "paired" partner when we want? If we can do it another day than wednesday, i'd have more chance to be able to do it.

Thank you!

Steeve

the test race will take place on the 10th of july steeve, at the moment at usual presto gp race times, if everyone agrees then we will put the race back by 1 hour to allow anthony some needed sleep ;) regarding any day changes though its better we leave it on a wednesday, presto has never deviated from this.

regards partners and servers, you could obviously test anytime you want with a partner, i dont think we need more than 1 server for the testing though, maybe another server for some of season 11 tracks for people to practise on during summer?, the main idea of this is for us all to be on server with some on the same and some on varying strategies, how we work this is getting closer to being decided but still needs discussed further slightly which we'll get to very soon.

if anyone wants to tests in the meantime set your session to x2 wear and give us your feedback on what you find, if its on a track from season 10 all the better, compare your overall race time to the presto gp site and let us know.

Steeve, I think you misunderstood my earlier thread :) I explained that theoretically we should all do 3 races each (3 different strategies) alone to collect perfect data.

In reality however, we plan to race on the same server and hope that traffic and mistakes do not muddle up our findings too much.

I'll open some practice servers now.

About teaming up, I would be more than happy to pair up with Anthony and Steeve, but it all depends on me acheiving the same pace as them come race day. If it turns out at race day that Steeve and Anthony have same pace, while I have same pace as eg. Nicolas, then we should pair up that way. (my pace is very dependant on how many hours practice I put in).

ps: I have no problem delaying 1 hour to ensure Anthony's beauty-sleep :)
1. David Turnbull
2. Jim Hawley
3. Reik Major
4. Helder Filipe
5. Sean Greenlaw
6. Dino Paolini
7. Valerio Vinassa
8. Nicolas Rougé
9. Nicolai Nicholson
10. Anthony Ishak

I think to avoid misunderstandings about who will finally drive which strategy I'd prefer Seans idea to link it to the grid positions. So after qualy everyone automatically knows what to do.

From my understanding it should be preset like this:

P1 (row 1) - 3 stops
P2 (row 1) - 3 stops

P3 (row 2) - 2 stops
P4 (row 2) - 2 stops

P5 (row 3) - 1 stop
P6 (row 3) - 1 stop

P7 (row 4) - 3 stops
P8 (row 4) - 3 stops

...and so on.

Or did I get it wrong?

I liked that system as well, assuming that all participants would be 100% happy with it, regardless if they end up with 1, 2 or 3 stops. If we are eg. 10 drivers, I guess we could tweak the system to the following if the relevant drivers (p7-p10) desired so?:

P1 (row 1) - 3 stops
P2 (row 1) - 3 stops

P3 (row 2) - 2 stops
P4 (row 2) - 2 stops

P5 (row 3) - 1 stop
P6 (row 3) - 1 stop

P7 (row 4) - 2 stops
P8 (row 4) - 2 stops

P9 (row 5) - 1 stop
P10 (row 5) - 1 stop

One small weakness (for me and those like me) is that I will not be able to practice optimally (as I do not know the length of the stint). But i can deal with that, so bottom line is that I am :thumbsup: to the SS (Sean System).

Looks good Nico. I think we are skilled enough to deal with the fact that we don't know our strategy before warm up. At least we have 2 warm up laps with the our calculated fuel then. ;)

I hope it's no problem for anyone to calculate fuel for all 3 scenarios prior the event not to waste too much time in warm up, is it? :whistling:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back