TCR Confirms New UK Series for 2018

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
TCR UK Series Announced.jpg

The TCR Series and the UK's Motor Sport Association have today confirmed a new TCR UK Series, beginning in 2018.

In something of a brave move considering the popularity of the well established British Touring Car Championship, TCR Chief Executive Marcello Lotti has confirmed a British version of the increasingly popular TCR series will launch in the UK as early as 2018.

With TCR offering a low cost and highly competitive touring car platform, many national series have adopted the relatively new rule set with great success over the past couple of years. The main TCR International Series continues to attract ever increasing numbers of cars and International drivers, and with such regional series as TCR Germany, TCR Italy and TCR Thailand amongst others continuing to grow in popularity and competitiveness, it has long been a target of the series promoters to bring the TCR regulation cars to the United Kingdom.

Marcello Lotti, TCR Chief Executive and former WTCC Promoter commented: “I am delighted that a TCR UK championship becomes the latest addition to our already large family of TCR series worldwide. This is a particularly important achievement, because the UK remains the reference country for motorsport due to its concentration of engineering companies, teams and professional people. We are confident that the new series will be successful thanks to the long-standing British tradition for motorsport in general, with particular enthusiasm for the various Touring Car categories.”

Having secured outline approval for a UK based TCR series in 2018 from the MSA’s Championship Control Panel, the new UK string of the TCR series will be headed up by Jonathan Ashman, who amongst other achievements was one of the instrumental members of the group who devised and then ran the incredible Super Touring regulations of the early 1990's. In recent years, Ashman has been an FIA steward and held the position of head of the head of the FIA Touring Car Commission.

“I have worked with Marcello Lotti since the TCR concept was launched, especially with regard to the arrangements with Formula One Management" Added Ashman. This new adventure with TCR UK brings me back to my previous experience as a Touring Car promoter, which gives me plenty of motivation to repeat the earlier success. I’m also especially pleased to have an experienced and professional management team alongside me.”

The new series will be organised by the BRSCC (British Racing and Sports Car Club) and is expected to run for up to seven events comprising of two races per weekend in its debut season, with neither teams, drivers or circuits confirmed at this early stage.

Although touring car racing is synonymous with short, sharp racing events the TCR regulation cars are not unknown to run in longer semi endurance or endurance formats, and this could be a possibility for the British championship as it looks to make itself unique in the face of stiff competition from the well established and currently booming British Touring Car Championship.

Is the UK big enough for two top level touring car series, or can only one of the championships come out on top in the long run? Only time will tell....

Check out our Motorsport Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment to discuss this exciting new series, or indeed any two, three or four wheeled real life motorsport! Motorsport is awesome, so get involved in the chat and tell us how much you love the thrill of the race!

Happy to hear of another new UK touring car series, or do you think the competition between this and the BTCC is a bad thing for the sport in the UK? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Interesting to see how this will fair with the BTCC... Will it become a feeder series for it, A support race? or its own thing? Maybe it could be part of the MSV Weekends...

I would like it to succeed because i don't like seeing things fail... (Except Malaysia 2016) But I don't know if it will generate the same interest as the BTCC with its well established characters such as Plato, Neal, Shedden and Austin to name but a few... But time will tell.

Can the UK sustain two top-level Touring car series?
I was thinking the same, but when you look at it, it has more than two top-level series already.

BTCC, Porsche Carrera Cup and the Ginetta Supercup. Then you have the UK Mini Challenge, which are all feeder series for the BTCC, and others across europe.

I don't think it can run on it's own, I think it will be like the BTCC, as the top level racing for a weekend with other support packages.

TCR will hopefully bring Touring Car racing to the UK that isn't a farce of terrible driving standards and full of egos that are too big, even for racing drivers.

TCR will hopefully bring Touring Car racing to the UK that isn't a farce of terrible driving standards and full of egos that are too big, even for racing drivers.

There is nothing wrong with a "bit of hip and shoulder" or "hanging them out to dry" or being all over them "like a cheap suite"

Cannot think of any more of David Addisons quote's at the moment :roflmao:

I think thats why its so popular and why some fans are passionate about supporting the huge ego's of say Plato and Neal. BTCC has always put on a good "show". I don't doubt that TCR will be great racing, but will it be a great "show"

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back