Taking a look at Spa-Francorchamps 1967 in rFactor 2

The 1967 version of Spa-Francorchamps has been available for quite some time to owners of the rFactor 2 beta. But the recent release of the Formula Two just gave me the perfect excuse to talk about this circuit on RaceDepartment.

The old Spa-Francorchamps

Although it wouldn't pose much of a challenge to modern Formula 1 cars, the old Spa-Francorchamps was particularly infamous for the Masta Kink, a chicane separating two long straights which were vital in order to achieve a decent lap time. I'll save you the gruesome story of 1972. But it was at that same place where Jackie Stewart suffered his infamous crash in 1966 (he would go on after that on a crusade to improve safety on the tracks). Throughout the decades, and despite its various redesigns, the circuit has remained as one of the fastest on the world.

The rFactor 2 recreation of the circuit also does a great job at showing what was considered "safety" back then. It was just terrible. It's not without reason that many of those drivers are highly regarded by racing fans around the world. Racing in the '50s and '60s didn't involve just talent, but we'll tackle this particular bit at the end of the article...

Racing Old Spa in rFactor 2

Spa-Francorchamps '67 in rFactor 2 is great fun, especially with the classic models. I'd go as far as saying it's a must-have experience to any sim racing fan. With a modern Formula Two (using the default setup), though, a lap around the track is done at top speed requiring only braking in La Source and Eau Rouge, in fact, you'll probably have a harder time keeping the car on track through all its bumps.

[youtube]

Grand Prix: The Killer Years

Coincidentally, at the time of writing this article, there's a forum thread dedicated to the BBC documentary Grand Prix: The Killer Years, which narrates the story of Grand Prix racing in the '60s and '70s and how drivers back then had to live with the fact that death could be awaiting them at the next turn... If you haven't seen it yet, it's available to UK viewers on BBC's iPlayer.

If you're living outside the UK, it's also available at DailyMotion.

[dailymotion]
View the Post on the Blog

Very good read, enjoyed that, thanks! It's a great recreation IMO. Only thing for me that doesn't work is the inclusion of a modern F2 cars around the old SPA. Dunno it just doesn't work for me. I'm getting old maybe but i have never raced anything other than the classic Formula cars there in rF2. The track is amazing with the BT20

Very good read, enjoyed that, thanks! It's a great recreation IMO. Only thing for me that doesn't work is the inclusion of a modern F2 cars around the old SPA. Dunno it just doesn't work for me. I'm getting old maybe but i have never raced anything other than the classic Formula cars there in rF2. The track is amazing with the BT20
I agree Lee. Love the track, but I can't drive anything but the classics on it either.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back