Tactile Immersion - General Discussion - Hardware & Software

tbh guys, I quickly looked at the seat (thinking it was a tub) late here tired.... :redface:
I am partial to Cobra, owned a few in past, my own current seat is a carbon back model.

Here
For me recliner model was best for comfort as I use rig as main PC area too.
This the standard version Here and popular bucket models are Suzuka & Sebring.

Lots of seat options but I would say get something good as its one thing you want to enjoy being in.

Last edited:
tbh guys, I quickly looked at the seat (thinking it was a tub) late here tired.... :redface:
I am partial to Cobra, owned a few in past, my own current seat is a carbon back model.

Here
For me recliner model was best for comfort as I use rig as main PC area too.
The same seat is used at many UK Football clubs for VIP/Players seats.

This the standard version Here

Lots of seat options but I would say get something good as its one thing you want to enjoy being in.

Which models? I'm open to other seat suggestions

Ok I'm getting this seat instead...thanks so much for catching that guys

So @Mr Latte ... I know you've said this probably 500 times now. I've read about 30 pages of this thread and have a headache... but can you summarize what the "next steps" are if I want to go just 1 more level deeper?

Let me recap:

- P1-X rig
- Sparco fiberglass seat (I changed seats, and made sure this one has a hard back to apply exciters)
- 4x DAEX32EP-4 Thruster 40W Exciter
- 1x Behringer EPQ304

I have few questions:

1. Let's say I wanted to add $300-$400 more worth of tactile, but in the area of deeper bass + pedal area. What would you add next? I would imagine a deeper bass unit underneath the seat, and then something by the pedals? What exact transducers would you put under the seat and pedals? If you can be specific with model that would be awesome considering there's so many different types. I'd like to avoid going with more back-of-seat exciters because I don't have infinite money (or space) to spend on amps (I'm doing this in a tiny upstairs room). I think I'll be "done" with 4 exciter on seat back + something under seat + something by pedals
  2. Where would you place the FIRST 4 exciters on the seat? I found this diagram (which shows 8) but I don't know which 4 spots are 'most important' https://www.racedepartment.com/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F490P9V3.jpg&hash=7ddc1f78fac2f89b4a105aecb375dd0c
  3. my P1x will be on a wood floor (2nd floor of house). Do I need anything special or are the feet that come with P1x enough?
  4. When I get the units for under seat + pedals, do I need "isolation" gear?
  5. Right now I have this soundcard which appears to be 7.1... will I have to get a 2nd soundcard to add these 2 new units? https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Bla...ound+card&qid=1577594829&s=electronics&sr=1-3

Last edited:
FWIW i read another dozen pages of this thread to make sure the answers weren't there but I didn't really see any. I have literally read for like 12 hours straight about tactile :sick:

I turn down a lot of help for builds as some people won't go looking or seeking to learn some simple things first. I don't have all the answers. I've had people come to me in PM with lots of money just wanting to go out and buy high-end hardware thinking it all just comes together and will work perfectly. Even a guy willing to fly me to his property, stay and install everything.

Credit to you at least for going through this thread. Yes its a mess and has many topics and lots of me waffling from one thing to another. Its like a river with many streams and like a boat up the creek without a paddle.

Tactile needs self-experimentation with both hardware/software...

We have a lot of things and ways to enjoy this concept with new effect possibilities. Also how we determine that we use the telemetry data and threshold or sensitivity controls we give for the operation of an effect. This is one element that is rather awesome with Shakeit.

When I looked at how, the operation some effects are active. It is not always as you would expect. For example "Lateral G" can have activity from some kerbs, if the car when going over the kerb at a specific angle has a lateral motion. So we can tweak things like this with threshold control so that an effects telemetry data value has to reach a specific level before being active. Or we can determine how that effect comes in, gradually or abruptly.

Another example could be "deceleration" as it is not just enabled with braking, or letting off the throttle, understeer can cause deceleration, going on the grass, hitting other cars. So what I would say is not everything has been revealed yet on how we can use certain effects and this to suit different users preferences. The beauty is, with Shakeit you can have the same hardware installation and load a profile that works very differently to another regards the positioning or activity behavior of different effects.

So, its possible to have a profile that lets say may suit certain types of car but also the users mood and own individual preference. We can do much more with tactile in this regard than what can be done with motion.

Answers:
1.Keep focus on the seat as it is the largest body zone region and apply low bass at it first for best immersion. I have been quite impressed with a single large BK unit in how it even can be used for Lateral G sensation. Good chance energy from the large unit may even reach the pedals. Other Simlab owners may be able to say better.

I am testing my 2x central large BK units at the moment.
My own personal build is to push the boundaries.

So I experimented using two mono/central units as we can get better results. The real advantage is not additional power but by having specific Hz layers on 2 units and not both units doing the same thing.

Its an operational limitation a single unit has with certain combination of effects layers. One unit struggles to deliver all the detailing from the layers as some are dropping in Hz and others increasing in Hz. These layers may give a unique sensation for the desired effect we like or want but by splitting the effect layers over 2 units solves this technical limitation with a single unit.

We can also have some issues with constant effects like rpm/speed both combined in the operation on the same unit. So these can work better if split to different units.

Stereo Effects In Seat:
Now of course 2 units in L/R would be stereo directional but focus on getting the better bass sensation and what it delivers. Superb immersion is possible, even in mono over having small units in stereo.

Look perhaps as stereo as an upgrade option and it can be seen as being expensive to install (extra units and amp) but is not necessarily a major benefit. Some people find it hard to determine L/R bump positioning in their seat but this is not a problem with this concept as we can combine the exciters.

Best to get the quality of the immersion in the seat done to a high standard and then consider other regions.

How Many Units On Back Of Seat Is Ideal?
Having 4 units on back of seat lets you place effects to specific units. Although you can quickly fill these with effects. 6 Units bring an advantage but also a feature I want to delve into is potentially mixing game audio tactile in with telemetry audio.

With the hardware I recommend in the HA6000 it makes this very easy to do.

So you can have standard tactile game audio tactile from any game (shooter flight sim etc) or console or music and it active on as many units as you want. This concept will make that possible. Now there are good reasons to have potentially 2 units on the seat using audio-tactile and then say 4 using telemetry tactile via Shakeit as each can bring their benefits. Or you can use all 6 ,8 or whatever for specific effects operation.

Personally I want the option, I want to be able to experiment and test ideas, also to give others the options too. What you have to keep in mind is that you yourself need to discover such things you prefer.

How many effects do you want to enjoy?
What are your personal preferences?
You start enjoying what 4 units offer but then want more?

Mr Lattes Head Boggles / Experimental Concepts:
Do you like the idea of some effects shifting/traveling from shoulders-sides-spine-pedals or vice versa?
What if we had an old cars gearchange move from front to back with clunk/engagement? We can now use delay on specific effect layers. It opens the door for new ideas in immersion with the ability to now have different shift sensations for up/down as well.

Do not overlook the potential:

Suspension Bumps, oh these can be fun, do you like the idea of 1 unit each side of the seat for stereo effects, but hold on how does that compare to only small bumps working on 1 each side but large bumps active on 3 units each side. Then those also combined with a large BK unit as well for really low bass slam. This is very immersive indeed and are possibilities to take the immersion far beyond having 2 rear units at the bottom/side of a seat also going past the limitations of single units. :D

Do you see what I mean about the potential and the level of experimentation we can now do and this as a concept can bring over a typical 4 corner installation you were considering.

More Exciters?
Exciters are cheap, you can power them with Knobsound amps or similar, they will not necessarily need an amp as pricey as the FBQ304. Your tiny room excuse is not a factor really?

If you add the large BK then yes it may bring more requirement for increased isolation or antivibration control. This can only be answered when you test your rig how big a problem any vibes may be?

Soundcard
Shakeit unlike SImvibe is not limited to 4 channels per card. It uses ALL the channels a sound card offers. You can choose as many soundcards as well to be active as you want. A 7.1 card will let you connect 8 units.

Last edited:
Okay WIP/
I will list potential options for different budgets, each of these follows the upgradable path to the ideals of the concept and how it works over the traditional installation.

The 2020 Multi-Tactile Concept
Hardware Recommendations

Budget Solution @£100*
1x Nobsound NS-20G Amp
2x Dayton Audio DAEX32EP-4 Thruster 32mm Exciter

* Speaker connectors, cabling etc are extra...

A user could repeat this option, if they like it for more units to experiment with either on the seat or on pedals. It would not be hard for someone to create a holder for multiple amps if they went with this product option. Do make sure when buying from a vendor this amp comes with at least a 19V power supply.

It is worth considering the following 4 channel amp:
Behringer EPQ304 if you want a rack-mountable single box solution for 4 channels with SpeakON connectors. Even if you only intend to start with 2 exciters this is ready for 2 more.
The only factor worth noting is upgrading the stock fan to a less noisy one (various options & 30 min job)

Soundcards:
Plenty of budget options and internal or USB work with Shakeit. Some people use internal.
Asus DGX is very good affordable 5.1 card.

With these, exciters you will use your soundcard EQ to lower all the high-frequency signals that exciters will output (like speakers). We only want their bass. :)

Semi Pro starter package for a seat would be...
6x Exciters and amps for these (2x EPQ 304 or 3x small affordable stereo amps like Knobsound)
1x HA6000 and cables needed
1x BK LFE
1x NX3000D amp (DSP amp ready to power a future 2nd BK)

Then looking at cables for soundcard/amps/connectors etc and some isolation materials.
For immersion and detailing this will outperform what many people have or use with 4 way installations.

Last edited:
Ok - I am making coffee and have to do some work but I'm going to come back to this and reply.

I will use 6 as you mentioned, and maybe I can downgrade the amp to Nobsound... when I move to a bigger place I can get bigger amps

- 6x exciter
- 3x nobsound -or- 1x nobsound + 1x epq304
- 1-2bk
- nx3000d dsp for 1-2bk

the one bit im confused on is, how does the "HA6000" actually work? Like what does it do? I dont recall that being mentioned in this thread (at least the pages i read)

Also I looked, but can I see a picture of your rig, and even the room it goes in? I imagine it looks like a Ferrari garage :D

Ok - I am making coffee and have to do some work but I'm going to come back to this and reply.

I will use 6 as you mentioned, and maybe I can downgrade the amp to Nobsound... when I move to a bigger place I can get bigger amps

- 6x exciter
- 3x nobsound -or- 1x nobsound + 1x epq304
- 1-2bk
- nx3000d dsp for 1-2bk

the one bit im confused on is, how does the "HA6000" actually work? Like what does it do? I dont recall that being mentioned in this thread (at least the pages i read)

Its a very valuable bit of hardware for various uses.

Convenience for volume controls of each unit
Show channel activity for each channel
Enable +/- bass felt in each individual unit separately
Easily adjust the volume (different sims or cars you may want to alter) without having to go into the software
Mix standard "audio-tactile" in with or distribute "audio-tactile" on its own with individual volume to 1-6 channels. "Engine Character" can be hugely enhanced with this.

Keep in mind I have spent hundred of hours exploring many ideas and options. If its recommended its done so for good reasons to benefit the user.

Helpful In Effects Creation Too
In testing with effects, it will show all your individual channels operation. So when working with your effects you can see what effects are active easily at the same time. This helps us learn how we place different effects to different channels. As we can place effects on how/where we want them to reduce a single unit being over-strained with different effects that are operational at the same time.

On a normal installation, a typical unit will always have a user pushing 3,4,5,6 or more effects at once. This is one thing we avoid with the concept.

You need to focus on the thread from more recent times 2019 onwards perhaps.

One question I forgot to ask, what do you mean "audio tactile" vs "telemtry tactile"?

Buttkickers in the beginning and still for many people use "normal speaker or subwoofer audio" to go to the tactile unit.

Consoles do not support software like Shakeit or Simvibe etc. They use "telemetry" from the physics to convert it for audio and tactile.

This hardware, lets you get usage from other games or systems or PC titles from the audio and combine some awesome car sounds from audio into your seat. Thats just an extra benefit.....

For the purpose of our goals for sim immersion. We can extract from the games audio the character of different engines, its idle or engine noise. This is not possible with telemetry as we build really just fake engine effects in relation to engine rpm or speed.

Question not but do, you will see in time. What I will bring is the best potential immersion, you as the user have more control of it with this bit of hardware. :)

Last edited:
What I mean is I don't actually understand what you're saying. I'll do as you said (I already wrote down your revisions onto my shopping list) but I'm not clear on what the 2 types of tactile are that you're referencing a lot.

> Mix standard "audio-tactile" in with or distribute "audio-tactile" on its own with individual volume to 1-6 channels. "Engine Character" can be hugely enhanced with this.

So are you saying that "telemetry tactile" is using exciters to create a physical-only sensation (vibration, bump, thumps) without sound, and "audio tactile" is doing the same thing but actually mixing in audio from the game to come out of it, almost like a speaker? Or am I misunderstanding

What I mean is I don't actually understand what you're saying. I'll do as you said (I already wrote down your revisions onto my shopping list) but I'm not clear on what the 2 types of tactile are that you're referencing a lot.

> Mix standard "audio-tactile" in with or distribute "audio-tactile" on its own with individual volume to 1-6 channels. "Engine Character" can be hugely enhanced with this.

So are you saying that "telemetry tactile" is using exciters to create a physical-only sensation (vibration, bump, thumps) without sound, and "audio tactile" is doing the same thing but actually mixing in audio from the game to come out of it, almost like a speaker? Or am I misunderstanding

Regards Engines:
Basically, data does not contain sound or bass elements from a cars real recording or the sounds used in a games audio. So if you drive a Ferrari or a Porsche or a Lambo. The telemetry data is based on the rpm/speed elements only.

With using the game audio as an (element to combine) you get the "bass response" (we do not want the full range audio as this is tactile) from the engine noises that are different from a Ferrari, a Porsche, a Lambo.

Another aspect is that in several sims, some cement/tarmac surfaces do not produce any data, yet they create a response of tyre sound "veeeeerrrrooooommmmppphhh" and also with some saw kerbs its hard to get the telemetry tactile to respond with these very quickly but with audio we get that "bbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrgggggggg" noise. So with the audio being used as well for tactile, ahhhhhh we can enhance things if we care to do so. Game audio for tactile use varies greatly in how well it feels.

I have not shared all I have discovered from this yet as its part of my own builds features and I have learned how to better utilise it with the combination of large BK and exciters. Still have more to do when the build is coming together but yes there is potential here for more immersion. Neither options are perfect I am seeking to have the options available and use them how it suits the user.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks, that makes sense!

Thanks a lot for your help, I will mull all this over. All the stuff is on my list so I will get it.

Fabulous. Thank you for all your work and help. It couldnt come at a better time!

Okay WIP/
I will list potential options for different budgets, each of these follows the upgradable path to the ideals of the concept and how it works over the traditional installation.

The 2020 Multi-Tactile Concept
Hardware Recommendations

Budget Solution @£100*
1x Nobsound NS-20G Amp
2x Dayton Audio DAEX32EP-4 Thruster 32mm Exciter

* Speaker connectors, cabling etc are extra...

A user could repeat this option, if they like it for more units to experiment with either on the seat or on pedals. It would not be hard for someone to create a holder for multiple amps if they went with this product option. Do make sure when buying from a vendor this amp comes with at least a 19V power supply.

It is worth considering the following 4 channel amp:
Behringer EPQ304 if you want a rack-mountable single box solution for 4 channels with SpeakON connectors. Even if you only intend to start with 2 exciters this is ready for 2 more.
The only factor worth noting is upgrading the stock fan to a less noisy one (various options & 30 min job)

Soundcards:
Plenty of budget options and internal or USB work with Shakeit. Some people use internal.
Asus DGX is very good affordable 5.1 card.

With these, exciters you will use your soundcard EQ to lower all the high-frequency signals that exciters will output (like speakers). We only want their bass. :)

Semi Pro starter package for a seat would be...
6x Exciters and amps for these (2x EPQ 304 or 3x small affordable stereo amps like Knobsound)
1x HA6000 and cables needed
1x BK LFE
1x NX3000D amp (DSP amp ready to power a future 2nd BK)

Then looking at cables for soundcard/amps/connectors etc and some isolation materials.
For immersion and detailing this will outperform what many people have or use with 4 way installations.

No probs guys, keen to get a small group of owners enjoying this and the new effects currently being done.
Some people have already got a start. I really do hope some get at least 4 exciters and 1x large BK with the DSP amp to be able to experience the effects I am doing in the proper way.

As an example, to compare to a typical installation.
Using road or suspenion type bumps, these feel really inferior when a single unit is trying to cover sensations for small active bumps, medium bumps and large bumps all at the same time, never mind what other effects that unit is configured to also output.

With a (4x1) installation, a person can have:

Exciter Pair 1 Shoulders = Small Bumps
Exciter Pair 2 Sides = Medium Bumps
Large BK = Med-Big Bumps & Impact Effects

This really gives much greater detailing for small curbs, grass, on/off track. sausage curbs, saw curbs and road dips. Been testing a new batch of effects today for this and wow, seriously it's so much better trying to dump it all on one set of units.

Teaser, still W.I.P

The effects also have specific settings for their operation regards threshold and gamma etc.

These will be shared with owners come a new batch of effects in Jan

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 134 85.9%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 26 16.7%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 24 15.4%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 19 12.2%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 48 30.8%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 55 35.3%