Tactile Immersion - General Discussion - Hardware & Software

So there's no way of having simhub recognize all 8 motors individually on the 908? I see that the Racefeel seat recognizes all 8.

You are correct, the Racefeel shows control of the 4 motors in the seat. The gametrix control shows only 2 motors, as if the KW-901 was the only gametrix.
@Wotever could something be done so we can control the 4 motors we also have, as does the Racefeel in our KW 908?

@boern69
Thanks for sharing, would you mind doing an interesting test for me?

Can you compare from 50Hz-15Hz in 5Hz drops (50/45/40/35/30/25/20/15)
Do the tests on two units but have one channel without the additional weight and it use 20% or so additional gain/wattage. Compare this to the unit with the additional weight applied but it with less gain/wattage.

I would be intrigued to get your views from tests how each then compares over the mentioned frequencies.

@MR. latte
I understand what u want - I will do this if I have more time but atm
a lot work + family + parents +house + rest of the rig + hobbies

I will order some more of these shakers so i dont have to change the tuned shakers
But as I said first wanna make a horizontal one now similar to the earthquake.

My Behringer EPQ304 (4channel amp) arrived.
Testing it with the exciters and seems to perform well.
The white LED lights for channel activity are quite bright but the most annoying thing is the fan whine noise.

With headphones on not a problem but it's not an amp you would want in close proximity of your seating and if you used low-moderate volume from speakers. Mine was just sitting 2-3ft away out on the floor.

Maybe if it was enclosed in a rack it may help or with some type of sound-deadening materials added to reduce the fan noise. With of course an option of replacing the fans maybe something to consider.
Thats pretty much the good/bad with this amp.

Last edited:
"SWEET AS THE PUNCH"

img-2090.jpg

img-2092.jpg

This build looks excellent but I am confused and a bit dismayed why people do not discuss more their intended ideas and implementations before going ahead with them.

Just my thoughts and understanding here, the idea is to help but what "others" do and go with really at the end of the day is your own choice.....

If you have stereo based units and one central contact section down the middle of the seat then it kinda defeats the purpose of having stereo L/R installed units. Their primary energy will go directly into the central spine region of the seat then fill out over the seat. This means they are not directly placing energy to the shoulders and side body regions opposite of each other.

Now, you could have each arm the unit is installed onto make contact (via rubber pad) to the back of each shoulder. However, as you have both units also connected via a horizontal bridge section then again, the L/R based effects each may output will easily mix together. This once again defeats the purpose of trying to feel independent wheel/suspension or lateral based effects.

People also do this often with pedals but if we are to have better stereo placed effects we need to control the pathways the tactile can flow or mix each channel. Therefore we want the L/R energy to reach its (target point) before it can begin to mix with an opposite channel or via other pathways.

Its a lot of time/effort and money you are putting into this but why people go to these lengths yet avoid the tested recommendation of placing the multiple exciters directly to the seat is beyond me. Also the 40w recommended exciters that only cost @£20/$20 in my experience and testing. WIll outperform those units you have in the usable frequency range and this can make quite a difference with the frequencies/harmonics we can incorporate into effects and enjoy.

You could possibly go with the multiple exciter option (that's up to you) then use the central mount for larger tactile and it delivering mono based effects, such as engine/gear acceleration/deceleration and mono chassis bumps.

What I am trying to say is, stereo based effects need to deliver the purest and most direct path to the determined body region to make the most of them. The exciters installation achieves this easily and can then if desired to be accompanied with larger tactile underneath.

As an example left/right bumps can be broken up into small/fast - medium/general - large/strong effect layers. Each with their own settings for frequencies and sensitivity. Doing this rather than have a single unit try to generate all bumps. This approach places all directional bumps to 3 body locations per side (shoulders/sides/underneath) which can greatly increase the detail and stereo representation of them compared to typical installations and often installations that also enable easy mixing of the L/R channels.

I dont want to discourage you or the efforts being made but If I understand the installation you are going with it seems more suitable for mono based effects.

Last edited:
Mr, Latte, how good have the results been using the exciters to simulate a sudo G force?

It depends what you mean from this or expect of it.

For me, it's not about trying to produce vibrations that attempt to generate force in what a G-Seat does. Some in the past have tried to compare these approaches in this manner.

It's not about having tactile units try to apply body pressure like a moving panel does. Just as detailed bumps in tactile can be very enjoyable/immersive. They dont need the energy a motion rig applies with them to be useful for added immersion.

We can though create felt sensations that are different to say suspension bumps and give lateral G or other lateral based effects their own sensations that clearly can be detected to the relevant side of the seat. "Speed Based Curving" is good example of an effect that reacts well to steering input in which you feel a response based on the turning speed and direction or amount of steering is applied.

The felt sensation used may be personal preference but this can be altered with frequencies to have some degree of firmness as the values for the load increase/decrease. Adding a slight wobble sensation can also feel quite good as well. A user can apply an effect to one unit, or multiple units. If desired combine an exciter with the largest BK units to give much more sense of force/depth for the effect.

UPDATED:
I do see immersion potential with it and the effects used have to be enjoyable but each person's preferences vary. I have worked on different combinations of using both a custom Lat G based effect with Speed Sensitive Steering. One I believe relates more to the amount of steering input while the other is operated via the speed so we can have detailed directional lateral effects work for slow chicanes but also a different sensation for long high-speed corners. Imola or Barcelona are excellent tracks for testing these scenarios.

So I believe, unlike a G-Seat we can bring feedback immersion for multiple usage scenarios (Steering Input G and Speed Based G) as its not a moving panel and being frequency-based it can continue for as long as a corner lasts. Therefore not reaching a max extended point with a limited moving range that a pressure-based body panel will be fully extended and the car only mid-corner. Thus it's only able to hold that same pressure and no longer being able to continue increasing the felt load/pressure applied for the full duration of the corner.

With a tactile based option, the telemetry for the G, speed and turning input will always be altering with the tactile option constantly changing. So personally I see advantages in pursuing good tactile based G loads, not as a replacement for motion-based G seats but an addition or alternative option for excellent addition in immersion.

I will continue my own testing/research as my own rig, however, will dedicate units for lateral based effects separate from suspension bumps as I do want to try and achieve the best detail possible for both.

Last edited:
@latte

thx for critic -always welcome
but it works like charm my aim was to built a unit like earthquake wich shakes in horizontal direction
works 100% and has a lot punch
with a lot less amp power needed compared to an earthquake unit
it cost less than 10% of the original and u dont need an expensive amp

this is no "stereo" -> the 2 units work in the same direction and move the mass for that one is
connected in oppposite

the unit is mounted relative high - the lever is better
Plz have in mind the dampers below the lightweightrig allow it swinging very easy
the effect for road impact and engine (in the back) for low frequencies is absolute outstanding

I concentrate on low frequencies for effects /hardware first ->the higher frequency bands
hardware will follow later so plz have a little patience

I like the effects between 15hz and 25hz they feel very alive and fit perfect to the mounted
wheel

But this is my impression only
I compare it with my first rig showed here as well and the new one feels greater
Even the old one is quite good

Last edited:
Mr Latte, all

Im looking to hook up a shaker to the underneath of a spacro seat via an aluminium plate that will go under booth runners. What thickness (in mm) plate do you recommend?

thanks

@latte

thx for critic -always welcome
but it works like charm my aim was to built a unit like earthquake wich shakes in horizontal direction
works 100% and has a lot punch
with a lot less amp power needed compared to an earthquake unit
it cost less than 10% of the original and u dont need an expensive amp

this is no "stereo" -> the 2 units work in the same direction and move the mass for that one is
connected in oppposite

the unit is mounted relative high - the lever is better
Plz have in mind the dampers below the lightweightrig allow it swinging very easy
the effect for road impact and engine (in the back) for low frequencies is absolute outstanding

I concentrate on low frequencies for effects /hardware first ->the higher frequency bands
hardware will follow later so plz have a little patience

I like the effects between 15hz and 25hz they feel very alive and fit perfect to the mounted
wheel

But this is my impression only
I compare it with my first rig showed here as well and the new one feels greater
Even the old one is quite good

Apologies if my response came across as a smarmy smart ass

I know you had mentioned attempting to do a horizontal based unit, the image was hard to discern what you were doing as it appeared like L/R units for the rear of the seat. That's why I stated I was a bit confused and dismayed if you were trying to get a good stereo from "that installation". I can't really tell how you are using dampeners but feel free to show more of the rig and your installation or findings you have.

I am not convinced altering tactile units brings clear benefits, without other drawbacks, it is something that has come up a few times but let me try to cover some of my own thoughts on it.

Before that can I say, there is nothing wrong with being creative and trying to improve the tactile you have. Man, I applaud that from anyone and its nice to see but I think discussing things more is always a good thing too. One of the primary things you should do is learn/know what Hz from low-high your units can properly use, this is always a good place to start.

I am not and never try to claim to be a genius at this or audio engineer. Much of what I have learned is from research and self-testing or added experience along the way. So I don't intend to come across as seeming to be right on everything or indeed always accurate.

When you feel what a typical unit can do compared to say a large BK then it becomes clear what it brings in delivering proper low-frequency extension. The difference with the energy the units can output these frequencies is what counts not just having a felt response from them.

I believe what is happening and has impressed others in the past by applying leverage or weights to tactile is that this increases the dB intensity. Hey, my own rig will have LFE units extended on BK plates as well and it may make the tactile more efficient with the same wattage being used as the leverage increases the dB being output. However, I am not doing it with the idea/intent I can get my units to improve and perform 5Hz/10Hz or whatever better than they could without such leverage or additional tweaking. I think some people look at it with this as a goal.

If all the frequencies associated with the effects or tones being used are increased. When we increase the dB gain level, you are then going to feel more energy from the "center value" being used (Hz you input for effects) and its neighboring or surrounding frequencies the bandwidth for that frequency has with the dB that is being applied. As we apply marginal increases in amplitude we can widen the bandwidth representing the surrounding frequencies but care with this is needed. A difference here is using PEQ to increase/decrease specific Hz amplitudes compared to increasing the gain for the whole dynamic range.

Additionally, with dB increases of the general volume/gain, we then form a wider slope of frequencies above/below the "center values" being used. When more input gain is applied then, this will also increase any felt harmonics that are generated as well. So what you get is much more additional frequencies also being felt.

Thus we could say, it will feel more robust, or seem to have more body, as yes you are increasing the bandwidth being output. What may be likely to happen in doing this to attempt to boost the low Hz felt range, you are over/increasing the dB for the tactile units best working frequency range. These are often in the 40-80Hz range, so if already increasing the dB by additional weights/leverage and then when we add "each effect" we want, this also can increase the dB further for repeated frequencies that each effect layer is using.
What this is potentially going to do is overdrive specific frequencies and if multiple effects are used then various Hz will all be peaking. This then means, effects will maybe gain in that they have plenty of energy/bandwidth but with this they will start to feel more or less similar to each other. Often the user will start to lose detailing when more effects are applied (the less is more aspect). Its likey that a user could have less variation in dB and feel from individual frequencies and the individual effects as each effect may feel more robust but also very similar.

I believe too much dB and too many layers are common results of losing detail in specific frequencies (this then is unit dependent on what can be felt) but also I think adding leverage/weights may also be linked to the same issue. This is why I asked you to try to do some comparisons with a few effects and standard units with increased dB compared to units with modification but then lower the dB to see if you find a similar response.

Here is an example on the factors mentioned above:

Bottom:
You can see a 25Hz tone and the surrounding frequencies it has (wider bandwidth with lower Hz)
It is just above 1dB in amplitude. I would feel in this example the Hz to about 1dB below the 0dB line. So we could say we are feeling from 10Hz - 45Hz for the 25Hz center value being used.

We are not just feeling 25Hz and likely on smaller units that cant generate the lower bandwidth, we can assume a user would be feeling the upper frequencies and not so much the lower frequencies from the 25Hz.
Note you can see also a lot of harmonics generated but these are lower in dB so are and not yet felt with this level output we are using

Top:
Now what you see in blue is the response when I applied max volume.
See now the difference and how the harmonics have come into play and a 25Hz tone in this example is now going to 3KHz for the @ -1dB level I could detect/feel. You have basically a 25Hz layer generating energy across the whole working range the tactile unit being used will operate with and far beyond.

Example 2:

Compare top to bottom, this shows about 50% volume and how even with it we see much greater activity than when we keep the gain lowered. This is of course more of an issue with lower Hz as they have greater bandwidth and then also generate more harmonics with the frequency ranges we are using.

I am not convinced that the best tactile is achieved by applying mods that we can't really define how they are altering the output of the tactile. While we may be able to boost and rejoice in that the sensation is now stronger/more bold or has more body. I do have to raise this aspect that for different effects to contain their own unique sensations that we can feel when others are also operating it is something that needs consideration.

One solution is to combine effects that are using very different Hz for the same channel, another is to have effects on the same channel that have very different operational activity so we avoid them being active at the same time. The third approach is simple, we do this but also add more units for specific roles and then use these for specific body regions.

Often people will want to crank the volume and in particular with lower Hz to try to gain more felt sensation. Yet often what they may be doing in trying to gain more added depth with a unit that just cant properly output the lower Hz is destroying the mind range definition we may have with different effects and attempting to give effects their own feel or character.

I doubt anyone will come here and say their tactile feels best when they crank all the layers to max volume, or when they crank the master gain or amp volumes. Sure we can find a nice balance for volume but this too can be within a sweet spot depending on the hardware used, installation and Hz being applied. PEQ is different as we are controlling the bandwidth and amplitude for specific Hz and with this yes we can help tailor how a unit feels with various frequencies. Although a unit will only output what it is capable of generating so that is also why I spent quite some time looking to see what units were best for the low end, mid-range and also high bass frequencies.

Each persons wants may differ, mine very much is on creating effects to suit the abilities of the best hardware I can install and then use that hardware in a controlled way for my preferences or mood or usage case scenario. I don't think adding leverage and weights quite gives us the control simply because it is not on a per frequency basis or being applied with user controls from software or hardware. In my own studies and testing I have learned that we want to give specific units roles and keep them for either specific effects or to use only for specific Hz ranges. This way we use units that deliver the best response from the Hz we seek to use with the effects we seek to apply.

Likewise for speakers, a tweeter is not very good for low bass and a woofer is not very good as a tweeter. Just as both are not ideal for midrange detailing neither. So as example, a single tactile unit approach to cover all bass frequencies or multiple effects greatly reduces the potential compared with what we can now apply in effects creation and effects distribution. Just as I have learned how increased body contact points is vital for increasing the felt potential of multiple effects operating at once. Its quite exciting to see how far things can be taken with some creative approaches and increased experiments in effects creation.

*Updated / Additional Control = Crossover:
When you take into account how harmonics can come into play, to extract the low bass we may not want a unit to be effected with the harmonics generated. These can ruin the feeling of just the low bass you want to get.

This is relevant if using a good performing low bass unit (Shaker/Subwoofer) capable for that role in the energy it can bring. This is why for example a user can install a large BK unit but with a recommended amp like a Behringer iNuke DSP or newer NXD series the user can set a crossover limit to control those units operational frequency output. Just like BK amps and subwoofer amps have crossover control. It lets the user tailor the bass sensation the unit generates by limiting the frequencies or harmonics it outputs.

This means the user could crank the volume and the harmonics be generated like shown, however, the "crossover" used will block any frequencies not desired by the settings (type/slope) the crossover will use. This lets a large unit do best, what it is designed for and the role of low bass performance be tailored solely for the installation being applied.

Leverage & Weights
These will apply what they do at the end of the chain as they are physical implementations. So a user is not able to see how they change the frequencies being output yet at the same time they have no control over which are boosted/cut or tailored to a use case scenario. It will generally I believe operate more like an increase in dB over the whole dynamic range on the units being used. If we can't control what it is doing, is it really then the best approach to take. Such certainly warrants maybe more testing or comparisons but I have seen nobody provide in-depth discussion or analysis when applying this approach. Yet what seems evident is people use it mainly as it brings an increase in power output. I have attempted to show possible downsides of this with harmonics and over-boosting of peak frequencies you then have no control over or how they are being boosted.

I am not convinced it is a good approach to take.

Can Different Frequencies Suit Different Gain Levels?
One thing we find is that different frequencies will indeed suit having different amplitude or gain levels. What is deemed good or used is based on the hardware capabilities and character output of the units used, the installation and the user preference? Frequencies that a unit can generate well we want to take care not to have too much gain as it will mask other frequencies detailing, yet we will want other frequencies to perhaps have more gain to help balance how they are felt and here is where what/how we use in frequencies with effect layers can become important to the effects sensation being generated. To do this best is to go beyond relying on a single unit and single point of installation/location.

*Seeking The Goal
You will see in time when I showcase and work with others how we can combine a lager unit for the low bass and use it in specific effects or ways with exciters on the back of a seat. This bring both high level detailing of frequencies with powerful low bass and it all controlled to additional body regions for greater immersion.

Last edited:
Added even more waffle to the above post, I know its LONG but want to share or discuss such things in detail. others are welcome to disagree with my views or with findings they may of had from their own experiments/testing or use case examples.

@Mr Latte

THX for ur tipps and thoughts. I cant wait to try ur "layer configs".

ATM I am still flashed by the new tactile I showed.

As u know I use a 2. Fame Quad Amp for the rig
volume is on 6 from max 10
so the units and the Amp dont get to hot.

I know I already said this a few times but it really makes a big difference
My old rig was complete alu and a kind of stiffer then new one is softer
and durable but allows much more movement .
Together with the lower frequencies this feels much more natural
but this is my opnion and everybody has a different taste .
Several people tested the 2 rigs and compared it and they were impressed
with the progress like me.

My aim was to make about 4-6 units to move the rig in low FQs
and after take 4-6 units and place them for higher FQs.

The first step is nearly taken now...

p.s.
the normal FQRange of the Rockwood 100W units I use is 28-55hz

@boern69
I suspect you are finding with the new build the benefits of what the isolation is doing by decoupling the rig from other elements and thus helping to improve the tactile quite a lot.

p.s
As an example...
The recommended exciters are bringing me felt sensation from a custom "Lateral G" based effect I am testing. This layer is using Base 10Hz and High 25Hz. That sounds impressive for a £20 unit doesn't it, that it can go as low as 10Hz and be felt. Yet I can also feel the same unit over 200Hz for effects like engine detailing or road surface details.

However, may I highlight when monitoring that effect with my hardware, I see it is generating an output @ 0dB from below 10Hz to over 100Hz from harmonics the effects layer settings have. That is the soundcard but this does not mean the tactile unit physically generates all of these, as it will depend on the hardware used what its character output is and its performance capabilities are over the frequency range.

I think you should consider buying one of the exciters to do comparisons to those units you have. if you are enjoying the one you have and state that its limited to @55Hz. As seriously that is bad in comparison to the units you have been recommended and yes I have tested a unit thats probably similar so have felt first hand the differences with various effects.

For low bass and I mean proper low bass, you want at least a BK Advance but I would still recommend on any semi-serious rig for those interested in tactile immersion add at least one large BK LFE or BK Concert with recommended amp in the NX3000D or a NX1000D. You are tyring to use a toy modified or not to do something it's not really that good at doing in bringing full low bass extension. There is no cheap way to fake this, it requires a unit dedicated for that purpose and a suitable amp.

A problem is lots of people bought into these cheap tactile unit options, Hey not that starting with something affordable is bad. However many like you have opted for these type of units and nobody until recently myself and maybe some others started to highlight the potential with the recommended exciters. I am keen to get your views on a comparison maybe in the future of your current unit and the 40W exciter installed direct to the seat.

My advice, seek the detail first and benefits mutiple unit install can bring with these exciters and then seek the improved or proper bass that is more expensive to incorporate.

Last edited:
Nice cant wait to test this lateral G

Nice idea if u wanna test this rockwood shakers mod -I found
this in several hifi forums and ->its worth every minute u put into it!

Guess I will try to get one BK LFE for it and we can talk.

Do u have a suggestion for an AMP for it -> best will be if this amp
has enough power to run a BK or an Earthquake.
Have to search what i get here in new condition in europe

I will test this for 14 days and keep it or give it back.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 12 14.5%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Thursday

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Friday

Votes: 32 38.6%
  • Saturday

Votes: 44 53.0%