rF2 Studio 397 LMP2 & GTE @ Watkins Glen - Fri 28Sep18

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Regarding the racing atmosphere and experience - I've been thinking for a while it would be great to see some kind of guide on do's and don't's of managing traffic in multiclass racing. It's a bit easier for the slower class, as I believe it's generally agreed upon that they should just stick to their line and leave everything to the faster car (though I know from experience the urge to get out of the way can be very strong, plus some drivers sometimes do expect the slower cars to move out of the way), but it gets more complicated with the faster class, as picking the correct moment to overtake the slower car can be tricky, I'm often not sure about what is acceptable and what's not, then there often come even faster cars from behind that are not as patient and the whole thing is basically a disaster waiting to happen while it could all be avoided (well, to a certain degree, obviously people are always people, especially when they are racing :) ).

I don't think I've ever seen a clear guide on this while it might be fairly helpful I believe.

Regarding the racing atmosphere and experience - I've been thinking for a while it would be great to see some kind of guide on do's and don't's of managing traffic in multiclass racing. It's a bit easier for the slower class, as I believe it's generally agreed upon that they should just stick to their line and leave everything to the faster car (though I know from experience the urge to get out of the way can be very strong, plus some drivers sometimes do expect the slower cars to move out of the way), but it gets more complicated with the faster class, as picking the correct moment to overtake the slower car can be tricky, I'm often not sure about what is acceptable and what's not, then there often come even faster cars from behind that are not as patient and the whole thing is basically a disaster waiting to happen while it could all be avoided (well, to a certain degree, obviously people are always people, especially when they are racing :) ).

I don't think I've ever seen a clear guide on this while it might be fairly helpful I believe.
There is no guide as far as I am aware, but here are some simple rules and guidance for overtaking and lapping (which I posted in a previous event thread)...

The faster car (LMP2) is responsible for initiating and safely completing an overtake, and the slower car (GTE) should remain on the racing line and behave predictably when being lapped by a car from the quicker class. GTE cars can, if they wish or if necessary, lift off the throttle to aid a pass by an LMP2 car (and to avoid a potential accident) only once an overtaking move has been initiated. LMP2 cars should only initiate overtaking moves at the exit of a corner and along a straight; overtaking on entry to or midway around a corner should be avoided (to prevent incidents from occurring) but is not forbidden.
I hope this helps. :)

Well, kinda, but to see some actual examples of what to do and what not to do (including examples of "overtaking on entry or midway around the corner" that "should be avoided but is not forbidden") would be great, in my opinion, as you can read the recommendations, but applying them to real situations can still be tricky and a video with some real world examples would go a long way, I think. But it was just an idea I guess. (I would generally like to see RD do some kind of racing tutorial series on racing standards and stuff like that, you don't see much of that stuff around the internet, just reviews and races, not much on how to race correctly.)

Last edited:
I also kinda got to agree that some basic lapping rules wouldn't go amiss, even in club events. The main one that comes to mind first is for the slower class to remain on their racing line unless another car is already along side. I experienced a few scenario's where a gt car moved off the racing line as I approached and it made lapping a bit of a lottery trying to predict where a car would be on track by the time I got there. If the general consensus was just to remain on line the whole thing would be a lot more predictable.

On the topic of teamspeak. I wouldn't call myself a racedepartment regular, however I didn't really get any sensation of tension or anger in the chat. Practice seemed to be full of jokes and laughter, then for the qualifying and the race chat went mostly silent. I asked for a little more space when another P2 car cramped me off the road down the straight on lap 1, but that was just to try avoid a spin on the grass that may have caused more carnage :thumbsup:. I of course went on to put the car into a wall on my own several laps later, so I didn't hear anything that went on after the race. But I never heard anything that would stop me from wanting to race with everyone again!

One rule that I find is always very good to stick to - don't go around the outside of the slower car if you're not already level with them entering the braking zone. GT cars will almost always have no option on corner exit than to track out as wide as possible, and they will have set up their line and apex speed to achieve that. They will not be able to alter it if you begin the move after they've already committed, and so doing it is an invitation to have your rear end tagged or getting barged off the track.

There is also very little point divebombing or braking very late to get past a GT car. If they don't see you, it's an accident. If they do see you, you might end up dawdling around on the apex trying to get stopped and turned long enough that they have committed to the turn, and it's an accident. Always better to do the slow in, fast out, inside swoop to pass people. Assuming they're looking in their mirrors.

And GT drivers, even if you think you're being helpful, just hold the racing line. I'm so used to VEC GT drivers always holding their line that I've almost caused some massive accidents here when people have tried to get out the way. Drivers don't have a psychic link to one another, so don't assume someone else knows what you're thinking.

On the topic of teamspeak. I wouldn't call myself a racedepartment regular, however I didn't really get any sensation of tension or anger in the chat. Practice seemed to be full of jokes and laughter, then for the qualifying and the race chat went mostly silent.
Maybe "tense" was the wrong word… but I have definitely felt as though the mood has become increasingly serious over time, and I have heard people snap on a few occasions. :whistling: I'm not criticising anyone - in a competitive environment it is understandable that drivers will at times be irked for numerous reasons, and even I have vented my frustration via TeamSpeak on a few occasions. :redface:

You are right about the mood being lighter during the practice session, and it is similar during the warm up session as well - there is, as you have said, often joking and laughter, and people seem quite relaxed. And though I do not expect this to be the case during qualifying and the race, because everyone is focused on driving, I have noticed over the past few months, as events have seemingly become more competitive, that the underlying sense of fun (to be expected during club events) has been somewhat lost. :unsure: Participants seem to be more fierce, which is not necessarily a bad thing as it shows confidence has grown, but as a result there have been more incidents and reports of incidents, and a show of impatience especially towards slower and less experienced drivers.

That being said, I felt as though the overall atmosphere this week, at Silverstone, was more easygoing. :D Maybe I have just been overly sensitive during the past few weeks as a result of poor form and performances. :p Just to clarify, I did not mean anything by what I said - it was merely an observation. :rolleyes:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back