Steering wheel problem, request for advice

Cheers lads, Is aDD wheel worth it for me I have a buggered left shoulder and didn't even run my CSR wheel at anything over 80%.
It's a tricky one, but with it comes the smoothness and fidelity of a DD, so I'd still be inclined to recommend one if you play regularly.

The bang per buck of something like the entry wheelbases in the Moza range seem very tempting, I'd also be inclined to look on eBay for a second hand 5Nm CSL DD since the latest ClubSport DD started shipping last month.

Lots of choice as you are on PC though

It's a tricky one, but with it comes the smoothness and fidelity of a DD, so I'd still be inclined to recommend one if you play regularly.

The bang per buck of something like the entry wheelbases in the Moza range seem very tempting, I'd also be inclined to look on eBay for a second hand 5Nm CSL DD since the latest ClubSport DD started shipping last month.

Lots of choice as you are on PC though
Almost too much choice!!!

Unless someone practically gifts you a belt drive go for a DD.

Belts are obsolete technology since the prices for DDs have come down.

Driving wise it doesn´t matter for Truck Sims which have no real telemetry/FFB.
All Racing Sims will improve greatly even with low output power.
It´s about agility and fidelity which the lag and elasticity of a Belt Drive just can´t match
(I had a T300 before my DD. ;))

I havn't, I presume there's some sort of capacitor in there that needs to fully drain before risking anything like that?
There will be capacitors inside the PSU which could be hazardous if you open the unit, but to be honest I'd recommend just checking the fuse in the 13A plug. If the fuse is fine (which is fairly likely to be the case) then you can conclude that the PSU is indeed dead in some way and unless you have the expertise to go further I'd take another path.
Do you have an easy way to test a fuse? If not, you can simply replace it with a fresh fuse of the same rating (e.g. it might be a 3 amp fuse; it really shouldn't be a 13 amp fuse!) and retry.

Unless someone practically gifts you a belt drive go for a DD.

Belts are obsolete technology since the prices for DDs have come down.

Driving wise it doesn´t matter for Truck Sims which have no real telemetry/FFB.
All Racing Sims will improve greatly even with low output power.
It´s about agility and fidelity which the lag and elasticity of a Belt Drive just can´t match
(I had a T300 before my DD. ;))
Thing is DD ares still twice the price of belt wheels (usually with the cost of a wheel being extra)and I'm disabled on benefits caring for a disabled wife so money is tight, I have to factor in bang per buck as the most important factor me.

There will be capacitors inside the PSU which could be hazardous if you open the unit, but to be honest I'd recommend just checking the fuse in the 13A plug. If the fuse is fine (which is fairly likely to be the case) then you can conclude that the PSU is indeed dead in some way and unless you have the expertise to go further I'd take another path.
Do you have an easy way to test a fuse? If not, you can simply replace it with a fresh fuse of the same rating (e.g. it might be a 3 amp fuse; it really shouldn't be a 13 amp fuse!) and retry.
I checked the plug side by powering up a portable CD player and it worked fine so the issue is defintely in the Power supply. Is it safe to assume the Power supply saved the Wheel so I could just get that replacement power supply I posted earlier in the thread? (at the mo I'm leaning to keeping my old wheel going). But I'm awful at making decisions like this, on one side I want a shiney new thing to play with, on the other I have to be carefull with my money!

From looking at the manual and what you wrote before, yes I think setting it to 24V and figuring out which type of plug is required is all you need to do
Agreed.
I'd be pretty nervous about using a supply like that (in fact I just wouldn't do it) if the maximum voltage was higher than the voltage my expensive wheel needed, but since the supply is only able to go up to 24 V, I reckon it's nice and safe :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back