Steam: "Acess to path denied"

I have bought BTB on Steam, loaded it up with Xpacks and ticked them for install one by one. Suddenly it crashed with this message:

09/05/2020 03:29:38
ERROR: frmMain() - Access to the path 'basic_city_xpack_v1_1346537954_2236.zip' is denied.

I have removed every Xpack, verified the files but this still pertains, what can I do?

I have just deleted all the files and folders in Steam/Common, reinstalled but it still persists.

Read Only access is unticked, so I am stumped.

Pastebin of the unhandled exception https://pastebin.com/6hXtLA5t

Last edited:
I just loaded some objects from that into a test project and have had no errors.

Unless things have changed a lot for the Steam version, XPacks are still loaded from within BTB's installation folder. By default steam programs are in Program Files (x86)... which nowadays is heavily protected by Windows. That wasn't the case when BTB was first developed, so it may be that it's trying to access the file in a way that's no longer permitted.

Try moving your BTB folder:

(Only go to steps 4 or 5, then find your current BTB folder and make a backup, as this page is for moving everything, but it's best to only move things that aren't working properly).

Back in the library, right click on BTB and go to Properties > Local Files > Move Installation Folder. You should see the one you added.

An example:
I moved my rFactor2 installation a while ago. When I went to 'Add Library Folder...' I selected C:\games\

Then I moved rF2 (via the library... Move feature mentioned above) and selected c:\games\. Steam then created it in C:\Games\steamapps\common\rFactor 2, so you'll have a similar pattern to follow with BTB.

Will try try that and edit.

Nope, still saying access denied, with the Unhandled Exception .NET Framework error. This is G:/Steamy/steamapps/common/Bobs etc

Tried in C:/Steam2/steamapps etc, no luck.

Last edited:
I should point out that I've also seen these two settings in the program itself, which may be easier to change than moving the installation folder:
1589070808831.png

I can't use the program because the unhandled exception blocks my access to interact with the program.

Image 5 pops up, then 6. That's as far as I get.

All installs so far are not under any Program Files/x86

Do I need to install a specific .NET Framework? Pretty sure I was up to date.

Attachments

• Screenshot_6.jpg
    Screenshot_6.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 137
  • Screenshot_5.jpg
    Screenshot_5.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Installed 2.0 it just said "is this installed correctly" and showing up in .NET folder in Windows.

Update: I have reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch, will edit this reply to tell you what happens.

Can someone remove my post below please.

EDIT: Reinstalling Windows 10 fixed it, now to see whether I can get any XPacks to play nice.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back