RaceDepartment Store

Upcoming Events

AC events on Simracing.GP ACC events on Simracing.GP Automobilista 2 events RaceRoom events rFactor 2 events

Paul Jeffrey

RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief
Staff
Premium
Spintires Mudrunner The Ridge DLC 1.jpg Spintires Mudrunner The Ridge DLC 2.jpg Spintires Mudrunner The Ridge DLC 3.jpg Spintires Mudrunner The Ridge DLC 4.jpg Spintires Mudrunner The Ridge DLC 5.jpg Spintires Mudrunner The Ridge DLC 6.jpg
In an awesome move for off road fans, a new and free DLC for Spintires: Mudrunner has been revealed - featuring new vehicles and new modes...

Some of you might not have heard of Spintires: Mudrunner before, and if so you are missing out on one muddy adventure. Think of it as American Truck Simulator, but on incredibly difficult and muddy off road terrain, with loads of difficult and challenging items to collect and a business to run. Oh and deformable road surface too..

It's fun and it can be difficult too, but don't let that put you off. Spintires: Mudrunner is one hell of an enjoyable drive and now it looks likely to get even better, with a new update in the works that is set to add a brand new location map, some new game modes and a couple of new vehicles to enjoy.. for free and scheduled for release before the end of the month! Awesome!

Spintires: Mudrunner Key features:
  • The ultimate version of the PC million-selling game Spintires
  • A wider selection of 19 incredible all-terrain vehicles
  • Explore an immense, untamed Siberian sandbox environment
  • Overhauled graphics and advanced physics engine for extreme realism
  • Complete perilous objectives and deliveries in extreme conditions
  • New game mode for a greater challenger available for solo and 4 player-coop
  • Download mods on PC for an ever-evolving experience

Spintires: Mudrunner is available for Xbox One and PS4 now. The standard Spintires can be purchased on Steam for PC.

Check out the Other Racing Games sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest from the diverse world of racing and driving simulation.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Have you tried Spintires yet? Looking forward to the new DLC? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
its great. been playing it more lately as you can get some really good maps on the steam workshop now. and wheel works fine:)

I find the gameplay of the original one to be better.
In Mudrunner the mud is too sticky. Few centimeters of mud slow down (when not fully stop) even the most capable offroad trucks. I can take a 6x6 and find myself stuck, or moving slow like a snail, in places where in real life I would pass easily with an old Fiat Panda 4x4 or a Land Rover Freelander.
In the first game each vehicle had the option to mount different sets of tires, with different characteristics (better for mud, better for rocks, all terrain, for swamp). The sequel dumped this feature and now there is only one set of tires, configured as all terrain, that aren't ideal when facing only rocks or mud/swamp terrain. Depending on the truck or on the terrain the game can become quite frustrating. :thumbsdown:
I was expecting an improved version of Spintires when this game was released, but it failed miserably. It's mainly a graphic's overhaul and even on this aspect I could complain. Just look at the big pieces of mud that stick to the tires when moving on it. :poop:
In the end I find myself modding several aspects of the game and of the vehicles to make it more realistic. I modify also the mods that I download from the workshop, because the authors simply converted them from Spintires to Mudrunner, when instead they should be adjusted according to the new game's characteristcs.
The vanilla Spintires was also more challenging, compared to Mudrunner. The maps of the game were more difficult to finish. In Mudrunner the developers modified those maps, making them easier.
In the end I like the game, but the original was better in my opinion, despite its flaws. My advise: buy it cheap or pick Spintires and mod it.

Urlauber

Ask me about VTEC
call me blind, but I somehow miss the actual details of the DLC... just in case I am not blind:
https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/6373/spintires-mudrunner-april-community-update
- two new vehicles, the D-538 and the B-6A
- Scavenge mode, unique to The Ridge, is a mode where there are no log stations [...] These locations are two or three locations that are randomly selected each time you start the map, and spawn static logs which must be collected with a crane!

I was expecting an improved version of Spintires when this game was released, but it failed miserably. It's mainly a graphic's overhaul and even on this aspect I could complain. [...] My advise: buy it cheap or pick Spintires and mod it.
Mudrunner is more of a re-release rather than a sequel. The original publisher and the developer from Russia had a very rough working relationship, communication problems transformed into trust issues eventually and they ended up locking the developer out from the project and then failed miserably to move it forward without him and just gave up and left.

Now the guy made a deal with a different publisher so he can continue working on his own game... I wouldn't recommend buying the original game at this point, because it is a dead end.

Mudrunner is more of a re-release rather than a sequel. The original publisher and the developer from Russia had a very rough working relationship, communication problems transformed into trust issues eventually and they ended up locking the developer out from the project and then failed miserably to move it forward without him and just gave up and left.
Now the guy made a deal with a different publisher so he can continue working on his own game... I wouldn't recommend buying the original game at this point, because it is a dead end.
Oh, I know the story very well and it's BS.
The developer said he had problems with the old publisher and that this was the reason why the game hasn't been updated in features and content. So Spintires has been updated by the modders during the years.
But assuming that now there aren't problems, I would like to know the reasons why MR isn't the major Spintires's overhaul that has been advertised by the new publisher, but instead it's just a minor update.
They adjusted a bit the graphics, the sounds and the interface. There are the same maps, but dumbed down. There are the same vehicles, with few new entries aready available as mods for the old game. The gamepad keys can't be binded differently, like in Spintires. The camera system is crap, like in Spintires (the new feature "lock the camera to the vehicle" only partially fix the problem). They introduced a cockpit view, but the cockpit aren't fully modeled and there isn't a real dashboard. They deleted the multiple sets of tires, ditching one of the most simulative aspects of the game.
They also incredibly removed the ability to lock the front differential, that was also in the old game. I mean, wtf, who the hell would remove such a feature in a game where you have to move over 40-50 cm of mud?

The only two good things I see so far are the winch operated by the gamepad (before was by mouse) and the map support recently introduced in the workshop.
But, again, the winch is not battery operated, making it useless when one can't start the engine anymore. In real life instead the winches can be battery operated and in fact the modders allowed this option in Spintires. See what I mean? Why the hell MR was released without such options, if are useful, realistic and already available in the Spintires mods (so known to the devs)?
Come on, the game is dumbed down and the publisher played the cheapskate card. Maybe one day will become perfect and will have all the most wanted features, but certainly hasn't been released in this condition. Once again the modders have to jump in and fix what ain't good.

Spintires is still alive and the modders keep releasing content for it. Don't look just at the Steam charts, there is an entire community that doesn't use Steam. Who want the simulative experience keeps playing it.