Some AI don't pull away from the grid at start of race

As title says, I cant seem to find an answer on Google for this.
I have content manager & sol.
nearly all races i get around 5 AI cars that just don't pull away when the lights go out, causing all the other AI to just stop behind in a long train.
sometimes, the stationary cars retire, sometimes they sit on there grid for the entire race, causing a yellow flag every lap.
seems to happen with Kunos (brands hatch for example) & mod tracks, and makes no difference what car pack I am racing, any ideas??
Thanks in advance

This does not work tried it and cars are still not moving when race starts
I realise this is a bit of an old thread now, but recently began playing AC again and wanted to do some offline races / championships just for fun.

Has anyone found a fix to tthis yet? I had same problem as others have had with full race weekend where all cars successfully complete practice session, but then some fail to set quali lap either due to crashing or they don't seem to leave the pits.

These cars then all crash at start of the race - almost looks like they are trying to drive through pit wall into the pits.

Had it happen with the Kunons TT cup @ Donnington as well as with T78 TCR @ Kunos Brands Hatch.

I have quali & practice sessions both set @ 30 mins & have turned the new AI behaviour off on CSP

What version of CSP do you have? There have been a lot of updates and turning off AI behaviour as far as I know won't fix this. I've been racing constantly, doing full weekends and had zero issues. Try it with the ai behaviour switched on. Also, have you edited the ai for the tracks? Because if it's at the start of a race that the cars are swerving hard into the barrier, to my knowledge, the only time I've encountered that is if I've done a bad job of recording ai lines with them ai editor. I could be wrong, but that's the only time.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have 0.179 CSP & I wondered if it had something to do with AI lines, but nobody else seems to have problem with the excellent https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/donington-park.3031/ track and I have not made any amendments to the AI files that came with the track.

I have no clue if this "problem" has always been there & somehow I've not noticed or if something has started causing it.

Last "test" I did the 8 cars that did not start properly all failed to record a quali lap, but I think they all did practice laps.

I will do some more testing shortly to try other car & track combos and might try a downgrade of CSP to earlier version to see if that fixes it.

What version of CSP are you using and what car & track combos have you completed full race weekend vs AI with so I can perhaps try that?

Thanks again

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Just to add to the conversation, here are some of my anecdotes over the 1 year that I’ve been playing AC. It still occurs for me, unfortunately:

Base info –
CSP: 0.1.79
New AI Behaviour: Active
Car(s): mainly RSS Formula Hybrid 2022, and other RSS single seater cars
Track(s): various
Mode (in CM): Weekend or Championship – no Practice, 12-15 mins of Qualifying, 5-7 laps of Racing

Scenarios –
  1. Qualifying finishes; AI is in the pitlane but has not reached its pit box before the screen fades out:
    1. The affected AI will start the race by veering towards the pitlane and crash
      1. Theory A: They’re stuck following the pitlane AI line, instead of reverting to the race AI line, indicating they may be in a ‘i-need-to-pit’ state since they couldn’t reach their pitbox, or
      2. Theory B: The AI lanes are old or messed up
    2. Possible solutions:
      1. What worked: Nothing that I tried :( For Theory B, you would have to seek out a new recorded AI line by others to replace it, or you'd have to make your own. You can use the AI developer app in-race to see if the lines are messed up
      2. What didn’t work: Restarting the race multiple times
  2. During qualifying, AI crashed out or retired and may not have successfully set a time:
    1. The affected AI will not move off from the grid
      1. Theory: They still think they are retired i.e. the AI is in a state where it thinks it has retired even though its now the race start
    2. Possible solutions:
      1. What worked: Restarting the race multiple times, sometimes ensuring that all the remaining cars have crossed the starting line before restarting
      2. What didn’t work: Sometimes restarting doesn’t work :(
  3. You are now racing and decided to restart; but AI crashed out during your first race and now doesn't move off after restart:
    1. See above; same theory and possible solution
  4. Qualifying finishes; AI successfully sets a time, but AI car spins and becomes a Beyblade at race start:
    1. Theories:
      1. Theory A: Too high revs for the car when it sets off the grid, or
      2. Theory B: I’ve seen this affect RSS Formula Hybrid cars. This happened when I unpacked data for the cars and changed the version in car.ini to extended-2 or something similar. This was because of the old requirement for the RARE app.
      3. Theory C: If the cars use DRS when setting off the starting grid, this might cause instability and cause them to crash.
    2. Possible solutions:
      1. Theory A: Might be a mod issue; not the person for this but far more knowledgeable people can advise on the values to change after unpacking the car data
      2. Theory B: When I changed back the version in car.ini back to 1 (which was the original value), the cars were able to leave the grid without spinning.
      3. Theory C: Use RARE to restrict DRS from being used on the first lap, but do note that if the track does not have any DRS zones, this function will not work (as of today).
I hope at the very least this helps with scenarios 2, 3 and 4, even if the theories are off.
For scenario 1, if anyone else has experienced the same and resolved it, hope you can share your wisdom. Otherwise, do share if your scenarios align with mine. Cheers. :)

To me it never happened out of the blue, but it does happen everytime an AI car crashes on Quali. I even tested it by crashing onto an AI car during Quali, making it return to pits, and when that happens, that AI will never get off the starting line when the race starts, eventually going to pits and eventually getting stuck there until the end of the race.

I do have AI behaviour enabled - so I shall disable that and try it.

Also, funny, I find some cars that don't do a lap in qualy, are the cars that don't move away in the race, I never noticed that until you mentioned it! so looks like the problem starts before the race, its the cars that either crash in qualy, or just don't put a lap time together.

so just run a race weekend (i used the btcc mod this time)
practise, fine, all cars set a lap (20 minutes practise)
Qualifying, had about 8 cars that did not leave the pits, when I jumped into there cockpit, i noticed the car was bouncing up & down?
Come to the race, yup, those cars that were bouncing up & down in the pits are the ones that dont get away.

I just ran standard weather (the same race) not SOL weather and all cars got away.
I then tried it on a different track, with different mod and it appears only 2 cars failed to get away, so, seems to be less when i dont use the sol weather mod

Yeah I also know this behavior when cars do not move in quali. If you play full quali they just placed on last positions and retire just after the start.

But if you skip the quali before it ends they qualify somewhere in the grid and after the start they block everything.

It seems to be a Kunos feature LOL In ACC you have to wait (what makes me nervous) until quali is done :D

Seriously that’s a strange thing with Sol. I don’t think the weather is the only reason for this behavior but it seem to have an impact.

I don’t use sol and my problem appears not often and always with 1 or 2 cars never more, but when I click restart it fixes himself.
And like i Said above if i dont touch the Game in terms of modding - the Problem appears less or not at all.

Ps: sorry for my poor english

I have also noticed there seems to be a bug in Assetto Corsa when you do a race and decide to do a restart of races that there may be a couple cars that dont leave the starting grid. If I do a full exit race and come back again to do/start a race, all is fine.

So you may notice this from time to time.

I have also noticed there seems to be a bug in Assetto Corsa when you do a race and decide to do a restart of races that there may be a couple cars that dont leave the starting grid. If I do a full exit race and come back again to do/start a race, all is fine.

So you may notice this from time to time.

I've experienced this, from what I've seen it's cars who have retired in the previous race. The fix I've found that works every time is just hit 'restart session' around 4 times.

I heard Billy Strange mentioning something in his video about editing the cars gearing, what part is this as i have worked out which cars are the problem for me and have unpacked their data, what part of the drive train am i editing? Or is it rev pick up related?

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.