SLI with triple monitor in 144hz

Hello everyone, I have question about 1080ti SLI with triple high refresh rate monitors....

If I want to have refresh rate >120, I need to use Display Port, so 3 monitors, 3 DP ports, however, I am not sure in SLI setup, does all 3 monitors needed to be connected to a single GPU? I did some searches but have no cue...some people say that all monitors must be connected to the same display card but other say its ok to connect to any ports of the 2 cards as long as Nvidia Surround is enable....

If all monitors need to be plugged to the same GPU....this will definitely limited the options since there are not much 1080ti comes with 3 DP.....sadly...EVGA is a good choice but it is not popular here, no stock now...and no idea when will be any stock available shortly...

Anyone is currently running SLI setup playing with triple monitors >120hz refresh rate that can give some advice?

Much less hassle with an Ultrawide 32:9 monitor.
Put the extra money saved into other hardware or immersion.

New 32:9 models with higher resolutions than the current 49" models are coming towards the last QTR but are not G-Sync enabled. They will, however, be 120Hz and 144Hz compatible. With higher than 1080p vertical resolution.

Nvidia are not focused on SLI anymore, often its not worth all the hassle neither.
They are pushing large single screen 4K @ 120Hz with high quality HDR.

The benefit with 32:9 is it having much less pixels than a 4K display.
Therefore its easier to maintain the high framerates you seek.

I put this in a recent post elsewhere but its relevant:
I user has to determine what GPU they will use, as to what matters more to them, screen size and resolution Vs framerate.

• 4K 16:9 = 3840 x 2160 = 8.29 mp
  • New Gen 2 / Super Ultrawide 49" = 5120×1440 = 7.37 mp
  • New Gen 2 / Super Ultrawide 43" = 3840x1200 = 4.60 mp
  • Triple Screen 16:9 1080p = 5760 x 1080 = 6.22 mp
  • Ultrawide 38" = 3840 x 2560 = 6.14 mp
  • Ultrawide 34" = 3440 x 1440 = 4.95 mp
  • Super Ultra wide 49" = 3840 x 1080 = 4.15 mp
  • Ultrawide 29" = 2560 x 1080 = 2.76 mp
  • 16:9 1080p = 1920 x 1080 = 2.07 mp

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Much less hassle with an Ultrawide 32:9 monitor.
Agree that a single ultrawide is much less hassle. However, it cannot replace the experience of looking out the side windows that multiview triple monitors or VR provides.

I don't have SLI, so can't answer the question of whether all the monitors must be connected to the same card. I can offer that my genuine nVidia 1080 card has 3x Display Port and 1x HDMI, so maybe that is another mfg you can check for stock?

Upvote 0
New 32:9 models with higher resolutions than the current 49" models are coming towards the last QTR but are not G-Sync enabled

I saw the Samsung 49" in a local store, the horizontal screen real estate is amazing, that size is what I look for one screen that can so close to a 1:1 sport car windshield, but the vertical resolution...:rolleyes:....not exactly what I am looking for....Or I should say, it looks a bit imbalance to me....

I have been struggled between 21:9 and 16:9, at the end, I still prefer 16:9.....it looks more natural to me..perhaps ultrawide is better, but immersion is just a subjective matter...compare between single ultrawide, 3x ultrawide and 3x 16:9, I prefer to choose the last one...

Agree that a single ultrawide is much less hassle. However, it cannot replace the experience of looking out the side windows that multiview triple monitors or VR provides

I have the same feel as Emery does, yes, the main purpose for the side monitors are not just used to enhance peripheral vision, but give driver a chance to turn the head to look on both sides which is so natural in real world driving, unless there will be a super ultrawide and super curve monitor which can cover 180 degree FoV, otherwise it is hard to beat a triple monitor setup...IMO..

No worry folks, I am not paying the money for the 2 cards yet:D.....or honestly I dont have enough cash....I just want to explore the possibility for such a highend setup...but yes, I will definitely get a 1080ti very soon since I just sold my 1080, and I just need to add a bit extra cash would be able to get a second hand 1080ti....I believe a single 1080ti should be able to drive a triple monitor setup in 1080p with a nice fps.....

Upvote 0
I don't think Surround Vision is perfect in its attempt to replicate peripheral vision nor is it ideal when you then move your head to focus on the additional screens. Typically about the first 1/3rd looks okay but then its stretched looking to me. Although in racing we perhaps use maybe the 1/3rd portion more often and for looking into apexes than the extreme left/right.

1440p it appears has proved to be ideal vertical in fps or cockpit usage with current Ultrawide Screens. So I would assume a 1440p 32:9 screen with no distortion would be rather amazing for immersion. Like I said losing only 10% of the triple screens horizontal coverage but gaining 30% more in vertical than triple 1080p screens.

Id like to read some views of users that went from triples to Ultrawide displays, certainly interesting reading what they found and perhaps liked or disliked.

Upvote 0
My 1080ti has 3 DP outputs. I just did a Google shopping search and the top five listings all had 3 DP outputs.

Yea...there are quite a few choices actually, EVGA cards are good and most come with 3 DPs but we don't have a good local distributor here....and I am not so confident to purchase the card in a online store worrying about the RMA process in case the card broke...we here only got ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, Inno3D, Galax and Zotac.....Maybe finally I will get the Gigabyte.....despite I want an EVGA honestly...:unsure:

Upvote 0
I don't think Surround Vision is perfect in its attempt to replicate peripheral vision nor is it ideal when you then move your head to focus on the additional screens. Typically about the first 1/3rd looks okay but then its stretched looking to me. Although in racing we perhaps use maybe the 1/3rd portion more often and for looking into apexes than the extreme left/right.

1440p it appears has proved to be ideal vertical in fps or cockpit usage with current Ultrawide Screens. So I would assume a 1440p 32:9 screen with no distortion would be rather amazing for immersion. Like I said losing only 10% of the triple screens horizontal coverage but gaining 30% more in vertical than triple 1080p screens.

Id like to read some views of users that went from triples to Ultrawide displays, certainly interesting reading what they found and perhaps liked or disliked.

Right, in most of the time only the 1/3 screen is useful, but regarding the distortion...I realize that it is more obvious in 21:9 aspect ratio, but in 16:9 and actually 32:9 can also be classified as 2x 16:9, the distortion is so minimum...and of course, the triple screen implementation of the sim plays part of the game...

I also wish to see more views on that triple screen vs ultrawide comparison before I decide to go for which option....yes, I love the horizontal screen real estate of ultrawide and the benefit of a borderless view does increase the immersion a lot..unfortunately, I have no chance to try playing any games in an ultrawide monitor...maybe I will turn to support the ultrawide camp, but at this moment, with plenty of good videos and reviews of triple 16:9 monitors, I would stay in the triple 16:9 camp.:)

Hey Mr Latte, a bit off topic....I want to add the tactile immersion setup into my rig(this is the upgrade I want to do immediately), I PM you and really need your advise before I kick the ball off:D

Upvote 0

This covers part of the issue with multiscreen and the Samsung 32:9

Personally, if it was me I wouldn't be seeking 2x 1080ti as the newer card (if it ever arrives) will likely perform better than 2x 1080ti in most titles. Well I think you can find this in videos showing titles with 2x 1080 SLI vs 1x 1080ti so the same may apply when the new card hits the market.

I have about 3-4 PMs at the moment to respond to regards tactile, so may take me some time to get back to you.

Upvote 0
I've been running triple 27" 1080 16:9 monitors for awhile now and thoroughly enjoy them. Personally, I have 0 issues with the borders of my monitors and mine are nearly an inch wide. I find that 27" is big enough so you are looking thru nothing but clear "glass" within your immediate periphery. The left border usually falls within where the left A arm is making it even less noticeable (same thing if the driver side is on the right and the right A arm). In other words, I find that when I'm racing, hot lapping, practicing - I do not notice the monitors' borders at all (granted, I may have a different opinion if I raced primarily open wheel cars). I love how I can see cars to either side in my periphery. I remember reading a comment by a real world racer where he said that you don't move your head left/right that much mostly due to physical constraints. You rely on mirrors and peripheral vision.

All that being said, I've seriously considered getting a 49" super ultrawide to replace my triples. Not for getting rid of borders but the idea of having one wide monitor offers a number of conveniences. Nvidia's surround feature is cumbersome and I use my sim pc for regular computer work as well. What is holding me back though is I temporarily taped cardboard over the amount of screen real estate I would lose going to a 49" and I wasn't happy. You barely get more than the sideview mirrors at the correct FOV (I'm a stickler for correct FOV). Often I would see out of the corner of my eye the front of a car next to me which I use when going into corners side by side. I would lose that.

I also realize, however, that we humans are adaptable creatures and I probably could move to a 49" and over time I will be fine. But I do love my triples! :cool:

Upvote 0
Cardboard? :)

The current 49" 32:9 model is the same as 2x 1920x1080 monitors side by side.

Therefore basically compared to a triple 1920x1080 configuration it contains the first 50% and looses the last 50% of the left/right monitors. The lost screen is the area with the most distortion.

The upcoming 5120×1440 resolution will be awesome although a bit harder to power but still below a 4K screen resolution. I would love one of these but think a DD wheel needs to be a higher priority especially as already having Oculs.

I hope ACC is incredible in VR but concerned how much my 1070 will struggle to power it.

Upvote 0
Yea.....perhaps it is just not a good time to get a 1080ti SLI.....but I doubt if the new card can perform far better than the current 1080ti....If I remember correctly, the new card should be adopting same architecture as the Titan V, in term of gaming performance, 1080ti is almost the same as Titan V, may be a better gaming focus new card would be better, but some rumor said the new card will have only 8G GDDR6X, if it turns out to be true, I think it would be not easy to beat the 1080ti with 11G GDDR5X......well....I personally hope that it will be a very powerful card, which certainly helps to improve the performance of triple monitor setup.

I have about 3-4 PMs at the moment to respond to regards tactile, so may take me some time to get back to you.
Yes Sir! no problem! ;)

Upvote 0
I also realize, however, that we humans are adaptable creatures and I probably could move to a 49" and over time I will be fine. But I do love my triples! :cool:

Support!:thumbsup: I wish someone focus on sim racing can really test the monitor from the view of sim racing....there are quite a few reviews regarding the 49" monitor but they are too general gaming reviews....

And @Hiro Abe , curious to know what kind of frame rate you get from the sim racing games with the triple screen? Same as Mr Latte, I race in VR and I want to get some reference, what kind of frame rate in a triple screen setup would be smooth...

Upvote 0
@daikichikun I haven't checked in a while but I remember being over 90 in AC. My monitors are 144Hz. I don't have every setting maxed out but I'm pretty happy with how things look. Oh... and I use a GTX1070 card.

I'm not going to remember the member but I think he posted in the Show Your Cockpit thread that he went thru a gamut of setups and settled on a 49". He loves it and I asked him to post some pics from racing. It looked good but he altered his FOV to see more. I believe he mentioned how close he sits to the monitor and my calculations came out with an FOV more than 10 degrees less (or something like that) than what he had it set to.

I was doing some iRacing last night and sitting in the car, I imagined losing half of my screen real estate on either side. I would just see all of my left side mirror and would lose all of the right and some of the windshield. Ugh! Kind of hard to swallow, especially since I was involved in some close racing and had a guy on my right thru several corners.

Upvote 0
I'm not going to remember the member but I think he posted in the Show Your Cockpit thread that he went thru a gamut of setups and settled on a 49". He loves it and I asked him to post some pics from racing. It looked good but he altered his FOV to see more.

Found it. Scroll down a bit and you will start to see postings from @motoliser and me asking him a few questions. He provided screenshots of cockpit views on his 49".

Upvote 0
Found it. Scroll down a bit and you will start to see postings from @motoliser and me asking him a few questions. He provided screenshots of cockpit views on his 49".

Thanks @Hiro Abe ...Yea, I remember this set up...49" is actually quite impressive.....probably we should ask him to take some photos / videos on GT cars, I am interested to see with a correct FOV, how the screen looks like..

A constant 9x fps for triple 1080p is a pretty good, I wish I can have a triple screen setup, but the reality is the cost of 3 monitors + monitor stand is too high.....especially I am going to upgrade my rig with tactile feedback, I should not be able to do the visual upgrade in the near future.... however, I still keep an eye on the monitor news, no matter a single ultrawide or triple 16:9, I think I will do the upgrade sometimes later.:D

Upvote 0
@daikichikun I'll try and take a pic or two of my set up with and without covering my side monitors to replicate a 49" screen. I think it will show you why I'm struggling with making a switch.

I hear you about the expense. I first had 60Hz AOC 27" monitors that I got for a pretty good price - around $240 per if memory serves. I then busted my middle screen. I was able to sell the 2 remaining monitors to help offset the cost of another set and went for 144Hz (which really does make a perceptible difference, btw). I got a good price for them but still a chunk of change. I figure if I do decide to go 49", I can offset a good portion of the cost by selling my current triples and maybe the brackets I bought to make the side angles adjustable on my 8020 stand (one of the benefits of going single screen - simplifies my monitor stand and, quite frankly, will make it easier to get in/out of my rig).

There's not much that is inexpensive with this crazy hobby when you start going down the upgrade path! :geek:

Upvote 0
Here is some 32:9 on the original Samsung 49" model at 3840 x 1080
Keep in mind the upcoming 1440p models with 5120 × 1440 will have just over 30% more horizontal viewable and be less vertically restricted too.

Interesting in this you can see how much/often he turns his head.
See his channel for other vids if interested.

Im certainly interested in the 1440p based 32:9 but the prices may be scary.
Yet Asus / MSI all seem to be bringing 32:9 models based on Samsungs original this Q3 / Q4 when Samsung themselves may have the newer 1440p sets available.

I think we will see continued discounts on the two current 49" 89/90 (3840 x1080) models Samsung have at present.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Keep in mind the upcoming 1440p models with 5120 × 1440 will have just over 30% more horizontal viewable and be less vertically restricted too.

This is not making sense to me. The physical size of screen real estate is not changing. It's simply a higher resolution. Or perhaps I'm reading your statement incorrectly?

The video is interesting but he's using TrackIR which makes it near impossible to get a good sense of his FOV.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back