Skinning Tutorial

Ramon van Rijn

RaceDepartment Co-Founder
Premium
I started this tutorial some months ago on RaceSimCentral, but after a while the graphics were lost. At the moment even the startpost was gone.

Recovered the text and reformatted it into a PDF.

Hope it is still useful for our members.

Attachments

• Race 07 Car Skinning Tutorial.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 9,349
Hi there.
My name is Gugge from Sweden and I've recently started to make my own skins for Race 07.
Now there is an annoying thing wich I just can't solve.
I've been working with the "Volvo C30" skin for STCC and the rear lights are very bright.
In game a person can hardly see when braking, so my qustion is how to make the backlights more darker.

The lights itself is in windows.psd....

Please, I would really really appreciate some help with this.

Cheers,
/Gugge!

Hi there.
My name is Gugge from Sweden and I've recently started to make my own skins for Race 07.
Now there is an annoying thing wich I just can't solve.
I've been working with the "Volvo C30" skin for STCC and the rear lights are very bright.
In game a person can hardly see when braking, so my qustion is how to make the backlights more darker.

The lights itself is in windows.psd....

Please, I would really really appreciate some help with this.

Cheers,
/Gugge!

depending on the programe your using its pritty stright forward.

(Photoshop)
Go to channeles and make the Alpah channel visable (little eye) and hide the other channels.

If you look closley you'll noyice the color of the grey for where the rear lights are is a very light grey if you make this area a darker grey they will be less transparant.

(white = transparant > Black = soild)

Thanks for the replay, Jarrod.
The sad part is that I still can't get it working....

Can it be so that everything in the tamplates maybe can't be changed!?!

If you look closley you'll noyice the color of the grey for where the rear lights are is a very light grey if you make this area a darker grey they will be less transparant.

I'm not sure if I understand that part fully....
I've tried to select just the light in the templates and make it a bit darker, but in game it's still very light.....
Here is some pics that shows the differents.

I really really want to learn this. And racedepartment forum is the only place I actually found some answer so far....:)

Attachments

• Backlights.JPG
    Backlights.JPG
    4.1 KB · Views: 363
Ok, now I get what you mean, Jarrod!
Just a short question still....when I now choose the alpa chanel and make that visible and make the other channels invisible....how do I mark just the lights to be changed?

Risk to be very enoying, I kindly asking u to explain step by step from there...please!
English isn't my first language, so I appoligize for all the questions....

I can see that the backlights have a brigther grey colour then the rest...

Thanks again for all the help....

/Gugge!

you could select it with the magic wand tool. :) or roughly select it with the polygon lassoo, and colour a slightly larger area as the game should only read from the pixels that are coloured in the orignial, the extra round the edges should be ignored.

Mark - wherever possible, use the vector based (*.ai or *.eps) logos from Brandsoftheworld or webchantier.com

The vectored logos can then be used as layers, so you can add a layer beneath for the correct background, and then you can use the Hue / Saturation tool to recolour.

Attachments

• adb.gif
    adb.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 276
  • adj.jpg
    adj.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 236
  • adbr.jpg
    adbr.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 225
guys. i got a problem with honda accord R stcc interior window(i used template from gtr evo cause there is no spesial stcc template for honda)
i'm trying to remove all baners, so i do it this way, in photoshop i just remove them then flatten image, save as dds dxt5 with 0 mipmaps so this way inside window should be clear, but in the game i'm still getting all the banners (two wide black stripes on the window)
what am i doing wrong?

As is almost always the case when windows or lights are involved, you haven't changed the Alpha Channel, so you still have some "transparent / opaque" information in the Window file, which is what the Alpha Channel handles. You've got rid of the paint information, but left the information that tells it to be opaque.

Check some of the posts above or in the Skins forum in general for info regarding the alpha channel.

I can't reference posts too clearly, because I'm at work and the firewall prevents me seeing a lot of the pictures, but a search on this forum for "alpha channel" will definitely get you to the answer.

Err, yes there is.

Edit: Ah - My fault - I changed from "Layer" to "Channel" in my previous reply.

I've edited the reply for consistency - it's the Alpha Channel, not Layer.

Sorry for the confusion. I'm so used to it now, I sometimes forget people are coming to this stuff for the first time.

Attachments

• honalph1.jpg
    honalph1.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 241
The bottom half of the windscreen is transparent.

In the channels palette, "turn off" the 4 non Alpha channels (RGB, Red, Green, Blue) and the display will be in greyscale. For consistent transparency right from top to bottom of the windscreen, paint over the upper darker "stripes" with the same white as the lower half of the windscreen.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back