SimXperience GS-5 Seat

Anton at a later time, would be nice for you to cover/compare the VR3 software to what SFX100 offers, likewise how D-Box is so simplified to suit all consumers. If you have software that limits what you can do then you can easily find preferred settings from what it offers.

Yet when you have software that offers much greater depth then surely it brings more potential but at the cost of greater testing/learning and being more complicated. I could say the same in comparing SSW to Shakeit, I can get decent results easily with SSW but much more control and personalisation from Shakeit towards the whole idea of profiles.

Yep definitely will give all that once I've had a chance to dive into it. Just getting the hardware all sorted now and once that's as good as I can hope for then I can make the necessary changes and be confident I am feeling what I am supposed to be.

Looking to start a thread for SFX-100 + NLR V3 owners soon too so we can compare and combine our findings and experiences with both platforms in tandem. Should make an interesting topic.

@anton_Chez and @Mr Latte Appreciate both of your detailed input.

I' have one profile on the NLR V3. What I'm getting out of the game telemetry (AC) with respect to motion should be quite different for the MX-5 Cup, 650GT3 and F2004 by a fair margin. The sliders should be there for range of motion allowed or intensity, however you want to put it but at no point should the F2004 wallow as much as the MX-5. That's just one example and it could be down to the poor data points coming out of the sim. I don't know because I can't see what the code being passed between the systems. I can only judge it by the seat of the pants.

I will spend some time with iracing and trying to find similar cars in both games to see if one game is outputting a dataset that aligns better with the NLR V3's system than the other.

The same is not true of the direct drive wheel through. I have just one OSW profile for AC but going between these 3 cars provides a very different feel in my hands and I expected similar from the motion which is not the case.

Exactly. I just races 3 races in the Spec Miata tonight in rF2. I could barely feel the car moving in any direction.
Kicker? I use the same profile for GT3 and LMP cars and get flung around in it if I'm not careful. There is a huge difference in feeling between cars with very little change to the settings in the software. That being said I like my settings and I feel they help me get the most out of the V3, for now. But seriously I had to turn the Overall slider UP because I could hardly feel anything. I used 1.00 when I normally race at around 0.70 - 0.85.

Perfect example of different physics giving different motion.

I do know from years of testing, tuning and tweaking the many FFB-settings in SimCommander for the AccuForce DD-wheel, that the Auto-Tune feature is extremely effective at customizing the effects for very good results straight out of the box. SimXperience offers the same wizard for the G-seat so I would expect excellent results from the system, custom tailored for each car/track combination.

At any rate, I noticed that some who are very active in iRacing and also DIY systems, are among the GS-5 team of beta-testers and say they will be releasing their reviews any day now. Any of you familiar with "Beano" may know he is highly respected among the OSW DD-wheel community for his many contributions and is one such GS-5 tester. He reports being very impressed with it so I look forward to his feedback. He uses a 70Nm-capable DD-wheel as his daily racer so he a great candidate for durability testing. :confused::D

Released from the NDA... And yes this is total game changer for 2019. Put this on your list of "must have". Glad to provide feedback...
VTjmnLX.jpg
p7VOQbz.jpg
TOlsBiz.jpg

I wonder if they will become very hard to come by as the GS-4 was. Maybe it's because I entered sim racing at a time when everyone that wanted a GS-4 had already gotten theirs and no more were being manufactured but I remember trying to source one as a possible purchase and just couldn't. People have been talking about the GS-5, or rumours of it at least, for like 3 years.

It's good that it's a great product. Something to keep an eye on I guess for the future.

FANTASTIC!!

I see you have D-Box too, like me. How would you rate the "step up" in corner feel/rear traction loss in particular?

the motors on the seat are so quick and responsive to all of the simulator telemetry so there is no lag. The seat is an absolute beast and adds so much to the immersion. Traction loss is very good with the seat and gives those ques right on point so that you are able to take the car to that knife edge and hang it out there

If I was to get rid of my seat mover “nlrv3” and only have this, what would I gain/lose?

If I added this to my nlrv3 how would the effects get balanced? (Not compete)
I would keep the seat mover with the GS5...best of both worlds. You will sustained gforce feeling and traction loss with the GS5 on top of the seat mover effects just like the seat mover with simxperience stage rigs. I know many guys that use both systems before with the gs4 and they were great together

I would keep the seat mover with the GS5...best of both worlds. You will sustained gforce feeling and traction loss with the GS5 on top of the seat mover effects just like the seat mover with simxperience stage rigs. I know many guys that use both systems before with the gs4 and they were great together
That was my plan, until I found out the GS-5 is like 4x heavier than the GS4. I think SimExperience shot themselves slightly in the foot by making the seat so ridiculously heavy as well as having the seat width for someone who's obese (if they have more than one seat width then ignore this).

Isn't there a way to have the motors and other parts of the hardware built separately from the seat so that they can be mounted somewhere else (eg, floor underneath the seat) to save weight of the actual seat itself? Is that possible?

Ideally, the forces being simulated should be coming from the game engine directly and being translated by the software. You shouldn't need profiles for different type of cars. Anything too severe, and the unit should just clip the signal that's out of range.
NLR Motion owners should have the ability to define g-force motion settings so that motion according to g-force stays relative and consistent from car to car, game to game. We also need to be able to differentiate settings between longitudinal and lateral g-forces. Not to mention a linearity slider (eg. -1.0 to 1.0 with 0 being linear).

Another cool thing would be "chassis mode" as opposed to "g-force mode" where the motion goes by body roll movement speed and distance (eg. front-end dipping down a lot under braking on an old, soft car). Just like g-force, we should have the ability to adjust the axes independent of each other (eg. longitudinal, lateral, etc.) as well as have a linearity slider for each.

If they want to really take the adjustability to another level, having options for precise control of acceleration, top speed, and distance for each setting (swaym surge, etc.), axis, g-force, etc. would be even better. It could be in an advanced sub-menu below each basic setting.

Last edited:
That was my plan, until I found out the GS-5 is like 4x heavier than the GS4. I think SimExperience shot themselves slightly in the foot by making the seat so ridiculously heavy as well as having the seat width for someone who's obese (if they have more than one seat width then ignore this).

Isn't there a way to have the motors and other parts of the hardware built separately from the seat so that they can be mounted somewhere else (eg, floor underneath the seat) to save weight of the actual seat itself? Is that possible?
I'm 140 lbs with a 32 waist and the seat is perfect... It feels like a proper race seat unlike the GS4 which felt like sitting on a park bench. The seat is so comfortable that it's worth the price of admission before you even turn it on. Yes this GS5 is that good... And I have a GS4 and this seat isn't much heavier. There is no need to mount actuators away from the seat for saving weight

I'm 140 lbs with a 32 waist and the seat is perfect... It feels like a proper race seat unlike the GS4 which felt like sitting on a park bench. The seat is so comfortable that it's worth the price of admission before you even turn it on. Yes this GS5 is that good... And I have a GS4 and this seat isn't much heavier. There is no need to mount actuators away from the seat for saving weight

Hello!

I’m currently waiting on my GS-5 to ship. I have a prosimu 5 motion rig. On that rig I have traction loss and it is a prosimu rig. After putting it up I realised the prosimu rig is to big for my room. As I feel that the traction loss function is kind of meh (to much motion going on elsewhere for it to be felt) and time consuming to tune right I’ve been thinking of building a smaller 80/20 rig without it. Might try the traction loss actuator as a belt tensioner instead. Further adaptations will be easier with 80/20 as well.

Are your profiles 90/45 cm? And do they provide enough rigidity when the motion is going full tilt? Did you get any recommendations regarding dimensions as how to mount the actuators for best performance and stability? Are there any considerations that is important to know of?

Do you use transducers under the seat? Have you mounted a buttkicker mini in the GS5? I have two buttkicker mini on my pedal plate and I find that they are not strong enough to overcome the actuators motion. Because of that I want to buy another BK LFE and mount them as you have. Pondering if I need another under the seat as well. How is the GS5 bump and road texture effect?

@Magiashkii, that's a lot of nice hardware man... Would be great to get more of your perspective on it all. Are using any rear BK LFE units still?

Just that I would be keen to get your views on trying some "G Force" based effects with the large tactile that could operate jointly with the D-Box and GS5. I'm curious how such would feel with their combined immersion.

Hello!

I’m currently waiting on my GS-5 to ship. I have a prosimu 5 motion rig. On that rig I have traction loss and it is a prosimu rig. After putting it up I realised the prosimu rig is to big for my room. As I feel that the traction loss function is kind of meh (to much motion going on elsewhere for it to be felt) and time consuming to tune right I’ve been thinking of building a smaller 80/20 rig without it. Might try the traction loss actuator as a belt tensioner instead. Further adaptations will be easier with 80/20 as well.

Are your profiles 90/45 cm? And do they provide enough rigidity when the motion is going full tilt? Did you get any recommendations regarding dimensions as how to mount the actuators for best performance and stability? Are there any considerations that is important to know of?

Do you use transducers under the seat? Have you mounted a buttkicker mini in the GS5? I have two buttkicker mini on my pedal plate and I find that they are not strong enough to overcome the actuators motion. Because of that I want to buy another BK LFE and mount them as you have. Pondering if I need another under the seat as well. How is the GS5 bump and road texture effect?

My profiles are 40mm x 80mm and there is zero flex. Larger profiles aren't needed. I can give you my dimensions if you want. As far as actuator placement... You get more movement in the rig the closer they are together. With a captured head on a dbox system you can get more then 9" of travel in the rig... But that isn't good or necessary for driving a car. I have a ton of bass shakers on the rig to give the best of many worlds lol and all are in use for different effects. As far as strengths of the bass shakers it all comes down to isolation as I learned long time ago from Mr. Latte. If you are mounting a bass shakers to 8020 it simply will not work...but I'm glad to help you get a better setup for sure

@Magiashkii, that's a lot of nice hardware man... Would be great to get more of your perspective on it all. Are using any rear BK LFE units still?

Just that I would be keen to get your views on trying some "G Force" based effects with the large tactile that could operate jointly with the D-Box and GS5. I'm curious how such would feel with their combined immersion.
Always glad to test... And yes I use all of the bass shakers on the rig for the best effects

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.