SIMUCUBE Direct Drive Wheel With Electronics Integrated Into The Motor

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
@EsxPaul It appears that their 1.0.8 True Drive Software fixed the bug having to do with whether the PC is powered up before the SC2.

You can also save a default profile to the SC2.

I did see that but opted to stay on v1.0.7 for a while as 1.0.8 has a bug for some, where the rim can sometimes turn 360 degrees with force when an ffb adjustment is made. I'm hoping to jump straight over that one if a fix is rolled out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You'll actually clip the wheel all the time when at 100% At that point, there's no feedback just flat and dull force. I think the longest I did 100% on my small mige (20nm) was 45mins on Spa with a F2004. It was fine. Fun to do once I suppose.

You probably want to visit the iracing forums to get good settings. The SC2's already have a decent following and iracing specific data there.

Getting ready to try Beano's recommended settings. I did try out one guys settings who told me how amazed I would be using them. I wasn't. We'll see. It appears I'm in that initial underwhelmed state that a number of people report with their first direct drive experience.

I'm very curious about something though. It appears that the iRacing settings had zero impact on what I was feeling and that True Drive had complete control over that.

Upvote 0
I did see that but opted to stay on v1.0.7 for a while as 1.0.8 has a bug for some, where the rim can sometimes turn 180 degrees with force when an ffb adjustment is made. I'm hoping to jump straight over that one if a fix is rolled out.

Good to know! I'm running 1.0.8 right now.

So far I DEFINITELY feel like transducers and motion bring a hell of a lot more immersion than a direct drive wheel does.

Upvote 0
@RCHeliguy I never tried iracing so can't comment on settings for that one.

I can relate to that underwhelming feeling though. I started with R3E and after an hour or two messing with settings, I preferred my G29 :D

Don't worry though. You'll eventually find the magic settings that feel right for you and there will be a eureka moment :)

Upvote 0
Fingers crossed!!!! Then again I got this for the wheel and in that I wasn't disappointed. I really love this new wheel. It's super comfortable, has great grip and the buttons are great!

Upvote 0
This is exactly what I was really hoping to avoid. On the Granite State forums there are car by car settings and comments like iRacing knows this car doesn't have FFB correct at slower speeds etc.. The GTE cars don't need much filtering, but the Formula cars do etc.. etc..

Yeah, I just tried some settings where I was set at about 14Nm and still clipping as announced by the double beeps coming from the SC2 unit.

I guess I can go back to the stock iRacing profile that feels the same as my CS 2.5, but after hearing all the crowing about how amazing the SC2 is with iRacing, I definitely feel like I'm on a learning curve that will take a while to figure out because I sure as hell haven't come close to feeling anything remotely better than what my CS 2.5 could deliver.

Upvote 0
As an SC1 user, coming from a CSW 2.5, here's my two-penneth:

1. rFactor2 - SC1 - absolutely massive upgrade. Brilliant ffb and tyre model. Best there is IMO.
2. ACC - SC1. Fantastic communication through the ffb (Pity the sim needs work in VR)
3. AC - SC1. Immediately noticed the difference. Lovely feeling in most scenarios.
4. iRacing - SC1 ffb is vague (never tried CSW) but seems very car / track combo dependent. The new tyre model shows encouraging signs though. Also tried using irFFB and felt it was beneficial in some cases.
5. RaceRoom - CSW felt way better. Have never managed to get a good feeling with the OSW. Probably time to revisit and give it another go.
5. Dirt Rally - CSW. As with R3E, just cannot get good feedback with SC1.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sad about Dirt Rally since I really have enjoyed that game. I hope I can get the SC2 to feel OK with DR2. That was one reason I was putting off getting a direct drive system.

I think I've got iRacing feeling better now, possibly better than my CS 2.5, but it's not even remotely a night and day thing. I've got a decent amount of force that's comfortable to me and that isn't clipping.

I'm still thinking this is a whole lot of nothing.

Upvote 0
Sad about Dirt Rally since I really have enjoyed that game. I hope I can get the SC2 to feel OK with DR2. That was one reason I was putting off getting a direct drive system.

I think I've got iRacing feeling better now, possibly better than my CS 2.5, but it's not even remotely a night and day thing. I've got a decent amount of force that's comfortable to me and that isn't clipping.

I'm still thinking this is a whole lot of nothing.

It's strange... I was a bit underwhelmed going from the CSW 2.5 to the DD2. The DD2 felt a little crisper on the fine details, but not by much, and maybe I was imagining it, anyway. It certainly felt stronger - with the force turned up, I couldn't overpower the wheel anymore, but that wasn't a huge selling point for me.

The strange part is how then going from the DD2 to the SC2 felt like night and day.

I'd treat other peoples' advice and recommended settings as just that - advice and recommendations. The SC2 seems capable of emulating a lot of different types of wheel bases, and a lot of types of personal preferences. It may be best to play with each filter to see what it does, and then putting together your own settings from there.

If I were to rank my upgrades, from most noticeable to least:
  1. Motion
  2. Tactile
  3. DD wheel
  4. GS-5 seat
  5. Pedals
@nerdthewise lives down the street from me, has essentially the same equipment that I do, took the same upgrade path, etc. and would likely have a very different ordering to that list. A lot of it is down to personal preference, which games you play, whether you race competitively or just to relax or because you enjoy the DIY building aspect, etc.

Upvote 0
I found the DD wheel to be the most critical part of my setup. To the point I sold the nlrv3 and frankly if someone swapped out my HE Ult pedals with something cheaper, I’d be fine. I rely on the load transfer feeling I get from the osw to drive by feel.

Every person is different in what makes them comfortable however so what works for A might not have the same importance to B.

Upvote 0
Maybe I just haven't gotten sensitized to feeling the load transfer feeling yet. It's hard to say. I'm not above saying that I'm just haven't learned how to notice and interpret information being provided to me.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I found the DD wheel to be the most critical part of my setup. To the point I sold the nlrv3 and frankly if someone swapped out my HE Ult pedals with something cheaper, I’d be fine. I rely on the load transfer feeling I get from the osw to drive by feel.

Every person is different in what makes them comfortable however so what works for A might not have the same importance to B.
Same boat, sometimes I turn off transducers to feel FFB and what car is doing better. Honestly, with good enough FFB signal like AC or rFactor2 this is enough.
With DR2 on the other hand transducers are almost mandatory as lots of stuff is missing in FFB.
iRacing, I honestly was never impressed by FFB quality, but that's me.

Upvote 0
Same boat, sometimes I turn off transducers to feel FFB and what car is doing better. Honestly, with good enough FFB signal like AC or rFactor2 this is enough.
With DR2 on the other hand transducers are almost mandatory as lots of stuff is missing in FFB.
iRacing, I honestly was never impressed by FFB quality, but that's me.

I've found the telemetry (and FFB) from DR2 to be quite bland.

When I was first setting it up for my wheel, tactile, and motion, I assumed I'd have to turn everything down - surely cars bouncing around on rough surfaces and bumping into things would provide more feedback than I comfortably want.

In practice, it feels like the suspension data coming out of DR2 is... filtered, or muted, or something. It actually provides the weakest wheel/tactile/motion experience out of all of my games, go figure.

Maybe it's for the best? I don't know.

Upvote 0
Maybe I just haven't gotten sensitized to feeling the load transfer feeling yet. It's hard to say. I'm not above saying that I'm just haven't learned how to notice and interpret information being provided to me.

That's a perfect example of A vs B. In the limited time I had iracing, I got used to it immediately because what the game lacks in FFB, it makes up significantly with it's weight transfer and load build up. That's how I drive in real life so it was a fish to water type of thing. Where as other games like AC, RF2 and more tire model based so people who are more sensitive to tire and tarmac feedback will find those more immediate to their liking.

Upvote 0
If I were to rank my upgrades, from most noticeable to least:
  1. Motion
  2. Tactile
  3. DD wheel
  4. GS-5 seat
  5. Pedals
@nerdthewise lives down the street from me, has essentially the same equipment that I do, took the same upgrade path, etc. and would likely have a very different ordering to that list. A lot of it is down to personal preference, which games you play, whether you race competitively or just to relax or because you enjoy the DIY building aspect, etc.

@AlexN and I have followed a very similar path by design (we live next to each other and can share notes as experience as we go), but our focus is very different in what we want to get out of the sim primarily, which changes the ranking a bit for me. My primary focus is getting faster, then immersion - Alex is the inverse of this. I race competetively in iRacing, but he has a new baby and a lot less time for that sort of thing. I also do not have full motion at this point, though I have tried Alex's.

Relative to my focus on getting faster my list would be:
  1. Pedals
  2. DD Wheel
  3. GS-5 seat
  4. Tactile
  5. Motion
For immersion though there are a few must haves in my opinion that I absolutely could not live without now:
  1. At least one RPM motor (Buttkicker Gamer2 is the minimum option imo). I currently run x2 BK LFE for rear suspension and x2 BK advance for front suspension and RPM effects.
  2. Wind Sim - The Sim Racing Studios kit is a great place to start, but sim racing is hot business and this has become an absolute must for me, lest I swelter and die in my cockpit.

Upvote 0
I understand the need for cooling. Since I don't have monitors in front of me, I just have a fan blowing right in front of me. Never have a heat issue. No sweat spots or VR fogging either.
20190925_151546.jpg

Agree about tactile. Running 4 channels with one that is primarily rpm.

The brake pedal has been a biggie for me. I'm trying to build my skills right now and still have a long way to go, but I'm making progress.

Upvote 0
As an SC1 user, coming from a CSW 2.5, here's my two-penneth:

1. rFactor2 - SC1 - absolutely massive upgrade. Brilliant ffb and tyre model. Best there is IMO.
2. ACC - SC1. Fantastic communication through the ffb (Pity the sim needs work in VR)
3. AC - SC1. Immediately noticed the difference. Lovely feeling in most scenarios.
4. iRacing - SC1 ffb is vague (never tried CSW) but seems very car / track combo dependent. The new tyre model shows encouraging signs though. Also tried using irFFB and felt it was beneficial in some cases.
5. RaceRoom - CSW felt way better. Have never managed to get a good feeling with the OSW. Probably time to revisit and give it another go.
5. Dirt Rally - CSW. As with R3E, just cannot get good feedback with SC1.
The trick with RR and DD tuning is to focus mainly on the RR-ffb effects such as Vertical and Lateral force effects. Start by disabling all canned effects and Steering Rack. Once you strike a good balance between Vertical and Lateral forces, the FFB works quite well with SC1.

Upvote 0
The trick with RR and DD tuning is to focus mainly on the RR-ffb effects such as Vertical and Lateral force effects. Start by disabling all canned effects and Steering Rack. Once you strike a good balance between Vertical and Lateral forces, the FFB works quite well with SC1.

What do you mean by canned effects? Are you talking about something in particular in the Dirt Rally FF options or the Simucube options?

Upvote 0
What do you mean by canned effects? Are you talking about something in particular in the Dirt Rally FF options or the Simucube options?

These canned effects are in the game software not the Simucube. Frequently the canned effects are made to feel good on Thrustmaster to CS 2.5 belted wheels, but feel horrible on direct drive wheels. Instead of being built from road texture and telemetry, they are just repeated FFB snipets used over and over.

Upvote 0
So this morning I dropped 3 seconds off my time at Imola over 15 laps, bumped up to 16Nm in the True Drive software, and recovered from a number of slides that were just starting. Maybe I'm starting to warm up to it. BTW I'm still learning this track, so I expected to see some improvement.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea