SIMUCUBE Direct Drive Wheel With Electronics Integrated Into The Motor

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
I'm quite happy to stick with a thick, coiled usb cable. I don't even notice its there once the vr Google's go on. I was worried about it wrapping around the motor hub but find that I never rotate my wheel more than 180 degrees in either direction anyway.

Wireless would be nice but that admittedly beautiful rim from PSE is out of my price range. Maybe one day... :)

Upvote 0
I've come from wireless Fanatec and now am so used to the cable that I forget it's there. You just need to make sure nothing can come unplugged when you crash as the wheel can fly lock to lock very quickly. The aviation connections are amazing for this. I have my new Vantage replica rim with the PC side aviation connector actually bolted to the rig. It's never going anywhere.

Upvote 0
I've experienced issues with cables but, I now coil my own high-quality standard usb-cables. Still, there are a couple of issues that can develop over time.
  • Wheel-side connector: I use a 90-degree angle here. Over time, the connection may develop some play as a result of the wheel movement. A narrow strip of aluminum furnace sealing-tape wrapped around the cable-connector works excellent to tighten up the connection. I do this on both ends of the wheel-cable.
  • PC Extension USB-cable: I tried securing the extension cable end (From PC to wheel cable) to limit movement at the connection but, that resulted in cable failure due to repeated strain in one particular area. I find it's better to allow the cable to move freely while minimizing the bending of the internal wiring (or use a longer usb-cable wheel-side).
There are better button-box cable solutions out there (such as air-craft connectors) but, if using common USB-cables, the above tips can make a big difference to improve cable and connection reliability.

Avoid the thin coiled usb-cables; although inexpensive, they tend to be very prone to failure. It's not difficult to coil a good-quality un-coiled cable and you can choose the length that works best for your setup.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

@RaceNut, what wheel are you using?
Usually coiled cable is permanently attached to the wheel side with some sort of strain relief lock (gland) so no 1 is not an issue.
Is yours just plugged in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
My GT1 button box from SRC has a permanent connection but my Vantage replica uses aviation style connections on both sides. No chance of anything coming loose there. The coiled cable that came with that rim is fantastic. The GT1 button box is not bad but not as good as the one of the Vantage rim. The price difference justifies the quality, however.

Upvote 0
I just noticed 2 things.
  1. SRG removed the review of the SimCube 2 quick release system.
  2. In this latest review, he says he only recommends two quick release systems and Sim Cube 2's is not one that he listed.

Upvote 0
So basically he only likes the Q1R and a prettier looking Q1R.

Personally I think both suck as neither is a true quick release, I don’t want to be faffing around reaching for a bike style lever to flick open. I don’t like them on bikes or boats or any other place I’ve used them.

I would take a proper one any day over those with ball bearings and a nice ring you just pull on and the wheel pops off, push it on and it locks, simple and easy provided it has good tolerances unlike the Fanatec version.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

There were long threads on reception issues on a few boards including Granity own.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea