Sim Racing Gear: What do You Run and Why?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sim Racing Hardware.jpg

We ask you the community what sim racing gear you run with and why you have made your choices...

This is something a bit different and will (hopefully) be an interesting topic to discuss. Sim racing gear...

I believe we in the sim racing community are a bit of a unique gaming bunch, more often than not willing to spend considerable amounts of money on our hobby in a quest to find that perfect balance between comfort and realism. If you think of popular games like the FIFA football series or the many first person shooting games, we in sim racing usually have quite a bit more kit behind us when we take to the screens and engage in our hobby of choice.

Now pretty much every sim driver has a wheel and pedals, some picked up at bargain prices either new or used and some of us lucky enough to have a budget for something more high end like a direct drive wheel from one of the many manufacturers springing up in the marketplace.

But a wheel and pedals aren't the only thing a sim racer can use to help improve their driving experiences. We have things as minor as button boxes for additional things to press during a race event, all the way through to some truly impressive looking full motion rigs out on the market today (please, if you are rich and appreciate my articles do feel free to buy me a motion rig, I'd really really appreciate it ;) ).

So what do you use, and why do you think it improves your racing experience out on track?

Let's have a debate :D

For more news, discussion and support on the hardware side of sim racing, take a look over at our Sim Racing Hardware sub forum and get yourself involved in the conversation!

* Picture credit taken from Pintrest

Last edited:
Well for me I've become addicted to sim racing and hardware, plus I have an understanding wife who supports me in my obsession!

I started out life on console with a Microsoft ffb wheel and Xbone 360, then moved over to PC with the trusty Logitec G25 (which I've still got in reserve) clamped to a wooden table in front of my little 19" monitor. I even fashioned a nice block of wood to push against the wall and keep my pedals half stable under load...

Fast forward a whole bunch of years (has it really been that long...) and I've amassed a bit of a collection that continues to grow. So much so that we recently had to build a considerable extension as the man cave wasn't big enough anymore (I badged it up as having a playroom build for the boy and the wife assumed the upstairs room would be for a new master bedroom - ha fool!!!).

Now I'm running the following kit:

GT Omega Supreme rig
GT Omega Supreme.jpg

Nice piece of kit, very solid and no flex plus it fits my 6ft 5 frame and long legs quite nice. Bit of a shame that the seating position is maybe more upright than is idea, but no big deal.

Fanatec Clubsport V2 wheel base and quick release wheel adapter.
Fanatec CSW V2 wheel.jpg

Love this thing. It feels like good quality German engineering and the ffb feels simply superb in most sims imho. I've had good reliability so far (touch wood) and just love the thing. With the wheel adapter I've got a F1 style wheel for open wheel cars, GT style for GT and road and a big old wooden one for classics and truckin'... love it! Bought it because the intention was to experience the best ffb possible and improve immersion as much as possible.

Fanatec CSP V2 pedals.
Fanatec CSP V2 Pedals.jpg

Again some great kit and plenty happy with them, plus I really like the load cell element of the pedals (where it registers pressure rather than pedal distance travel). Nowadays I see some superb kit from the likes of @Niels_at_home and Derek Spears Designs amongst others, so these might get looked at again in future as I feel a good pedal set is key to consistency and realism. Very keen to look at these further when budget allows.

Fanatec V1.5 Shifter.
Fanatec Shifter 1.5.jpg

Gives me the option of h-pattern or sequential, feels solid as a rock and is made of metal. Great kit. Picked this because I simply love manual shifting in either sequential or h-shifting, and the kit gives a nice solid feel between gears.

DSD Race King Button Box.
DSD Race King Button Box.jpg

Originally bought this for the ability to have more buttons than I have access to on my wheel. The plan was to map various commands and chat phrases. Sadly I never got round to it so now it's basically just a pretty thing to make the rig look better... might be selling in future as I don't really use it now (or ever really).

DSD Fanatec side panels.
DSD Fanatec Side Panels.jpg

These attach to both sides of the wheelbase and are for me essential. It has toggles, buttons and even a starter switch. I use this for key functions such as brake bias adjustments, ignition, wipers and lights. Stuff like that. Plus everyone likes a toggle switch don't they.......

Buttkicker Gamer 2...
BK 2.jpg

Something fairly new to my setup, but due to other circumstances I've not had the chance to properly install and set them up yet. The plan is to have 1 on each corner and one under the seat. I've got 2 v1's and 2 v2's at the moment and on the lookout for another v2. Basically it's a cheaper alternative to upgrading to motion.

Triple screens & VR. Since getting the Rift CV1 used on eBay I've pretty much gone for VR from that point, for the reasons that are often discussed in game forums that I'll not regurgitate again here. One of the biggest things I've ever done in terms of immersion and increasing realism. Works out cheaper than 3 decent 27" monitors too....

I'm probably a bit unusual as a sim racer in that performance out on track doesn't really matter much to me. I don't care for putting it on pole and walking away from the field (which is lucky because I'm not that fast!), I like a close fight and to feel as close to the real thing as I possibly can. That has been the only influence in my hardware purchases, realism and the quest to get as close to the real thing as I can.

Sim racing is an expensive but very rewarding hobby and no matter what you run you can always find something bigger and better around the corner. To be honest that for me is all part of the fun! I love saving up over the months and making a new purchase, trawling though the big wide world of the web and searching out a bargain, it's great fun!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Something fairly new to my setup, but due to other circumstances I've not had the chance to properly install and set them up yet. The plan is to have 1 on each corner and one under the seat. I've got 2 v1's and 2 v2's at the moment and on the lookout for another v2. Basically it's a cheaper alternative to upgrading to motion.
I've now 4 shakers for each tyre plus two under the seat running SimVibe with 6 channels, but i'm running Sinustec BS250 (200 Watt), which costing just 34 Euro each here in Germany and people knowing both say, they are as good as the Buttkickers. Probably just available in a few countries like my two amplifiers to power them (The t.amp & Fame Quad).

I had some problems with neighbors since and a handfull of vibration dampeners under the rig not only solved this problem. This cheap rubber-feets making the rig shaking and adding some kind of motion to it just for 30 Euros. I would even suggest to put them under rigs without SimVibe, because they are amplifying the FFB-effects an arm-movements as well through the rig. Running over curbs, especially this nasty ones in AMS is very intense now and don't miss motion at all:D

Other than that: 80/20 rig with Accuforce Pro, HE Pro pedals, HE sequential shifter, CSS shifter, Sparco Sprint seat, Samsung 55" 4k-display powered by a GTX1070 and Bayerdynamic DT990 for the sound.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Fanatec CSW V2 (will be replaced with my OSW when the new cockpit gets here)
Sam Maxwell Customs SMZ1 wheel on a Universal Hub (but will be swapped out for a Q1R)
Clubsport shifter SQ V1.5
Clubsport V3 pedals (going to replace these with Heusinkveld Pros)

All that mounted to a GT Omega Pro, with a single monitor stand, which has a Dell U3415W overclocked to 80 Hz.

Upvote 0
I have only been sim racing now for just over 2 years now and they have been a great 2 years :)

the equipment I currently us are

pzwSeWil.jpg

A Playseat f1 in white (well its the closest ill ever be to an f1 driver haha

wheel I use

j105UPSl.jpg

a Thrustmaster T500RS with Ferrari F1 wheel

and pedals

jfBpjjGl.jpg

for tv stand is a GT Omega single stand
which has a 42inch tv on
k4jK08Gl.jpg

and that is what I use
who knows what the future holds I mite upgrade to 3 monitor's who knows
I would like to buy the new Thrustmaster TSPC Racer at some point this year :)

Upvote 0
I'm running the Next Level Racing GTUltimate rig - best off the shelf rig in my country I reckon, and iI started off with just the wheel stand.
Currently running the CSW V1 wheelbase with Formula Rim and GT2 Rim, depending on car/truck I'm driving.
For pedals I'm up to the Clubsport V2's - though I'm looking for something new - getting tired of the accel not going to 100% and random times. I had V1's prior. Next time I'll be looking outside Fanatec.
I'm on to my second Fanatec SQ shifter, now the V1.5 - I run a custom gear knob. leather feels better :)
I run DSD CSW button boxes
I use the original DSD handbrake - it's probably the most useless piece of kit I've owned. It's fun to drift with it and use it for Dirt Rally, but most the cars I race don't have a handbrake... and it was expensive.
I have an old siminstruments dash. Still a good dash, but there's been no software updates / support for new sims for a while :(
I have a Buttkicker gamer mounted underneath my seat on my GTUltimate. does the job good enough.
I have a custom (made from mdf) "center console" I've mounted by shifter and handbrake to, so it's more like a normal car, and provides stability for those two.
Finally, TrackIR. I only use it for ETS2/AMS. I find the lag too high for precision racing.
D1F6nTf.jpg

My 4 year old son races this rig I built for him out of my old parts :)
fqkSqbY.jpg

Upvote 0
I started with an old wheel with a Ferrari logo on, not sure what make it was, but I seem to recall trying to play Network Q RAC Rally on it, and that was released in the 90's so no idea what the wheel was.

In more recent times, Logitech G27 which is now a 'backup', as I was authorised by my keeper to purchase a T500RS with TH8A stick. That is now clamped to an old dinnertable which I inherited off a dead relative, who is probably turning in their grave because I cut several inches of each leg off and part of the cross-strutt, so it wobbles like a swine now and is generally knackered. It's now the perfect height for banging my knees on every single day without fail, when sitting down or getting up, which helps strengthen my knees for braking harder into walls. I also have the custom-built bits of old pallet wood behind the pedals to bring them forward from the wall by a few inches.
My chair is a second hand office chair with half of the material ripped off/worn away and a gas strutt with a mind of its own. I use a 27" single screen. Would love triples, and would love a proper rig, Obutto or GT Omega for the kb+mouse bits for other gaming. Some day. Never been any good at this racing lark, so I consider myself a noob even though I've been trying since the 90's in some form or another. I'm just crap haha.

Upvote 0
My sim rig is not the most elaborate...
Wheelstand pro so I can fold it up for storage.

Started with a G27 and upgraded to Fanatec Clubsport Pedals V3.
27" Acer 1440p 144hz Gsync monitor with TrackiR.

The pedals were really lacking with the G27 and Clubsports made a huuuge difference.
I've long grown out of the G27 wheel/shifter as well (it is pretty rough around the edges after all these years) but gotta find some cash for a much better setup.
TrackiR helps a little bit...I don't have space for a cockpit with triple screens.

nTkQbku.jpg

Upvote 0
My rig has changed a lot over the last couple of years.
At the moment i have The fanatec V2 with a BMW rim.
Custom made Ricmotech wooden Rig
Prosimtech PT1 pedals ( love them)
Home built sequential shifter
Triple 32inch monitors and home built stand
old recaro racing seat ( given to me) with buttkicker underneath
3 7inch androids for dash and button box:)

porotothumb.jpg

20170207_202259_zpsuhv1y1va.jpg

20170207_201644_zpsqxoaby84.jpg

rig2_zpsqe5m9t26.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I enjoy my sim racing (since 1998) and I've been lucky enough to be able to indulge myself.
Accuforce SimXperience
CAM00323.jpg

Sam Maxwell SMZ1 wheel with Z1 Dashboard
SMZ1side.jpg

MPPC pedals
MAIN_PERFORMANCE0487__30291.1415080570.1280.1280.jpg

BenQ XR3501 monitor
benq-xr3501monitor-2_674_fa60a.jpg

DSCF1951_zpsbjp3jcwl.jpg

Obutto Ozone frame and seat
DSD button box
Fanatec manual gearshift
DSD bent shaft sequential shifter
MOMO MonteCarlo steering wheel (for the classic cars)
Immersion is important and all the gear helps. (really!)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I enjoy my sim racing (since 1998) and I've been lucky enough to be able to indulge myself.
Accuforce SimXperience
CAM00323.jpg

Sam Maxwell SMZ1 wheel with Z1 Dashboard
SMZ1side.jpg

MPPC pedals
MAIN_PERFORMANCE0487__30291.1415080570.1280.1280.jpg

BenQ XR3501 monitor
benq-xr3501monitor-2_674_fa60a.jpg

Obutto Ozone frame and seat
DSD button box
Fanatec manual gearshift
DSD bent shaft sequential shifter
MOMO MonteCarlo steering wheel (for the classic cars)
Immersion is important and all the gear helps. (really!)
Gimme direct drive Gimme Gimme Gimme

Upvote 0
good old G27 (in the future i will get myself a T300 -if i get a PS4 too- or a TSPC)...
playseay challenge (i don't have room for a full fixed cockpit so after trying a wheel stand and struggled with several office chairs i get the challenge and it is the best solution for me)...
old Benq 20" display that is ready to be trashed for a brand new 27" gaming monitor by ASUS (the normal 1080p not the fancy ROG one)...

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back