Sim Racing Expo 2017 - Begins Saturday 16th September

I mean no disrespect to @Paul Jeffrey but I'm taking his words with a pinch of salt due to the limited time he had with pCars2, I'll personally await a much more in depth review post release not just from Paul himself (whose opinion I generally trust it has to be said!) but from others as well.
As clearly at a SimExpo you can't setup the wheel, pedals & game to your own personal liking nor do you get long enough to form a constructive and valid opinion. I mean my first few laps in AMS I thought "what is this mess?!" but a couple of hours later I was thoroughly enjoying it and loved it forever more, so whilst First Impressions do mean something I tend to think in terms of a Racing Sim we need to give that much more time than just a few laps.

I mean no disrespect to @Paul Jeffrey but I'm taking his words with a pinch of salt due to the limited time he had with pCars2, I'll personally await a much more in depth review post release not just from Paul himself (whose opinion I generally trust it has to be said!) but from others as well.
As clearly at a SimExpo you can't setup the wheel, pedals & game to your own personal liking nor do you get long enough to form a constructive and valid opinion. I mean my first few laps in AMS I thought "what is this mess?!" but a couple of hours later I was thoroughly enjoying it and loved it forever more, so whilst First Impressions do mean something I tend to think in terms of a Racing Sim we need to give that much more time than just a few laps.
It took me several hours to really enjoy rF2 (I do now) and even a lot more time to enjoy AC.
Driving 3 laps with a completely new and other rig than your own, not being able to adjust or have insight about the setup, is never enough to form a valid opinion imo...(hence my previous post).

Last edited:
I tried pCars2 in a ImSim 2D rig on a screen and in VR with a Fanatec setup at the expo... neither impressed me driving wise. While the game looks nice and drives ok, the FFB left a lot to be desired in both instances. No detail whatsoever :(

Amazing isn't it? We get loads of hype from beta testers and those connected with WMD/SMS and they tell you how different and how improved Pcars2 is compared to Pcars1 and when someone not connected tries it the truth comes out. I hope it was because of the setup Paul and the fact that you didn't have much time or a few of us are going to be upset again.
Thanks for telling us though. I will definitely NOT be pre-ordering Pcars 2 and will wait for more honest reviews.

PCars2 IS different and IS improved - as a backer does that make my opinion less valid than Paul's or anyone elses?

I didn't like the FFB until recently and while I'm sure everyone will sensationalise when the game is released the truth is much more boring - The FFB is fine.

- It's better than PCars1
- It's not better than Assetto Corsa (in my opinion)
- It's not better than R3E (in my opinion)

It's not great but it's not bad and it'll satisfy most so you won't have to throw darts at your picture of Ian Bell anymore...I don't know, you might since apparently you've heard multiple positive opinions about PCars2 and it only took Paul's opinion after 3 laps for you to determine that everyone else is a liar.

PCars2 IS different and IS improved - as a backer does that make my opinion less valid than Paul's or anyone elses?

Yes it does actually. Absolutely. You are biased.:)

.I don't know, you might since apparently you've heard multiple positive opinions about PCars2 and it only took Paul's opinion after 3 laps for you to determine that everyone else is a liar.

Not just Pauls opinion though is it? See post above yours. :whistling:

I did mention in my post that I will wait for reviews done by members here before I take the plunge. If that upsets you, then that is tough. But you are a backer so it's understandable I suppose. Oh and I didn't call anyone a liar and I don't throw darts at Mr Bell's picture so don't start all that WMD backer trouble again.

I'll just wait and see what reviews it gets here at RD, if it's mediocre I might get it in a steam sale eventually. If it gets great reviews from sim racers here then I will buy it and try it for myself with the option of a steam refund. I can't be fairer than that. Have a nice day now and try to stay on topic. :thumbsup::cool:

Edit: I am sure all the VR users will say this is the best thing since sliced bread though.

Last edited:
I did mention in my post that I will wait for reviews done by members here before I take the plunge. If that upsets you, then that is tough. But you are a backer so it's understandable I suppose. Oh and I didn't call anyone a liar and I don't throw darts at Mr Bell's picture so don't start all that WMD backer trouble again.

I'll just wait and see what reviews it gets here at RD, if it's mediocre I might get it in a steam sale eventually. If it gets great reviews from sim racers here then I will buy it and try it for myself with the option of a steam refund. I can't be fairer than that. Have a nice day now and try to stay on topic. :thumbsup::cool:

I'm glad you got to give it a whirl and thanks for your feedback.

Did someone say they had pictures or a go in the raceroom porsche? Which porsche was it? The only sim without porsche will soon be rfactor2. Ironic if they use it for driver testing.

Alright guys, after seeing all this gear at SimRacing expo, I decided to take the plunge and get serious with my rig. Upgraded from G27 to an all new and super secret Heusinkveld set including a new wheel that is still in the prototype phase. And here it is:
20170918_172732.jpg

20170918_172958.jpg
20170918_173012.jpg

I didn't like the FFB until recently and while I'm sure everyone will sensationalise when the game is released the truth is much more boring - The FFB is fine.

- It's better than PCars1
- It's not better than Assetto Corsa (in my opinion)
- It's not better than R3E (in my opinion)

It's not great but it's not bad and it'll satisfy most so you won't have to throw darts at your picture of Ian Bell anymore...I don't know, you might since apparently you've heard multiple positive opinions about PCars2 and it only took Paul's opinion after 3 laps for you to determine that everyone else is a liar.

But what is off with the FFB?

Reading some early reviews of PC2...they might have actually pulled it off. :confused:

Now, in my experience you gotta be super careful when it comes to mainstream reviewers - even the ones who seem to "talk the talk", it's not a safe assumption that they know what it's like (and what is required from the game/sim) to push for those last 10ths.

I'll be eager to see RD's PC2 coverage, but as of today it's looking like SMS is gonna be getting $60 outta me...and there's a decent chance that this very vocal, disappointed PC1 customer will be eating crow. I really hope so!

You guys are clueless.
Project cars 2 is simply on another level compared with PC1 as Tuborg is with that pale Bitburger.
Not that I drink it anymore thou. Wheel of time, healthier lifestyle, strong wife,... :unsure:
:x3:

Did someone say they had pictures or a go in the raceroom porsche? Which porsche was it? The only sim without porsche will soon be rfactor2. Ironic if they use it for driver testing.

Yes I did a talk and drive, it was a very bloody good car I must say!

Will publish the video and article soon... :)

As for the PCARS 2 discussion. I will buy it tomorrow and give it a good test, then will feedback in an article here. :)

Pre-ordered PC2 by about 1 hr - still screwing around with various settings, but can already say it's not an auto-refund for me. Feels really weird, but nowhere near enough wheel time to say if that's good weird or bad weird.

FFB feeling itself is just like rF2 (which is good, in my book)...I'm just not mentally connecting the dots between what I'm feeling/doing with the wheel and what the car is doing. More laps!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back